Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Excuse me guys,

I am a Software Engineer and got some questions about the new ACS Graduate Skill Assessment for Permanent Residency. :confused:

I got the ACS skill assessment already and submitted my EOI for 189.

Would I need to re-apply for the new Graduate Skill Assessment and update my EOI?

If so, do I need to do it now? Or wait until January 15, 2014 when the new skill assessment is commenced?

Would that affect the visa date of effect of my EOI?

Thank you so much! :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
HI door999mo,

when did you graduate? According to the ACS News section:

The ACS is choosing to implement the changes effective from January 15, 2014, (instead of October 28, 2013) which will provide certainty to those studying courses that are scheduled for completion in the final months of 2013.

The implementation of the ACS graduate application changes will ensure applicants are being assessed in line with the Migration Amendment (Skills Assessment) Regulation 2013 changes announced by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to take effect on Oct 28, 2013.
This means that the assessing authorities now have to clarify whether the assessment is valid for a specific migration visa subclass (485 Recent Graduate) or "or not be restricted by reference to a specific visa subclass or stream (an 'open' assessment)."

As I see it - feel free to correct me - this means that you are good to go with your "old" assessment. You can write to ACS and ask them to clarify if your assessment is valid for a 189 application and add that letter to the visa submission, if you want. It's one of these transitional things: DIBP wants the assessing authorities to print the suitability on the result letters now but ACS will only start doing so in the new year.

You could also wait until January, get a re-assessment and update your EOI with the new result date. That means your date of effect changes as well.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI door999mo,

when did you graduate? ...
Hi Monika,

My graduation is on July 2012 last year.

I used the skill assessment which I used to apply my current 485 Graduated Visa (TR).

As I didn't include any work experience in my "old" skill assessment, I am afraid I would get reject to apply 189 once I get the invitation.

Do I need to re-assessment my skill assessment to be able to fit the newest changes?

Thanks a lot.
Eric

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Eric,

since you are currently on a 485 visa, it would definitely be a good idea to get re-assessed because you now need at least one year of work experience post-graduation to qualify for a skilled migration visa. Do you have a full 12 months of work experience after July 2012 already? If yes, I'd apply for re-assessment in January and include the work experience evidence. Much safer!

How long is your 485 visa valid? Would it be a problem if you have to wait for the invite a couple of more months? And do you think re-taking IELTS would be an option to get a higher score?

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Eric,

since you are currently on a 485 visa, it would definitely be a good idea to get re-assessed because you now need at least one year of work experience post-graduation to qualify for a skilled migration visa. Do you have a full 12 months of work experience after July 2012 already? If yes, I'd apply for re-assessment in January and include the work experience evidence. Much safer!

How long is your 485 visa valid? Would it be a problem if you have to wait for the invite a couple of more months? And do you think re-taking IELTS would be an option to get a higher score?

Cheers,
Monika
Hi Monika,

Yes I have a full 12 months of work experience in Australia already :)

My 485 will be valid until July 2014 next year. I am currently submitted the EOI under 261313 (Software Enginner) so I don't think I would get the invitation before the newest changes come to affect.

I got IELTS 7 but lost 5 points because of my age 23 so I get 60 points only. My company is happy to sponsor me for 457 so I am thinking to just keeping waiting under 60 points.

If the date of effect changes, would that mean I will be sitting at the back of the queue for the invitation? My current date of effect is on Nov 2013 so I predict I might get the invitation in the coming March or April next year.

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Eric,

yes, if you update your EOI and the change affects your points you will move to the back of the 60-point-queue. But if your employer is willing to sponsor you towards a 457, you do at least have a backup plan. Good luck!

Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Eric,

yes, if you update your EOI and the change affects your points you will move to the back of the 60-point-queue. But if your employer is willing to sponsor you towards a 457, you do at least have a backup plan. Good luck!

Monika
Hi Monika,

If I only update my Skill Assessment then it shouldn't affect my points right?

In other words, would that means they won't move me back to the queue?

Another question, if I want to get 5 points from my work experiences in Australia which I have already included in my EOI, do I need to include it in my skill assessment as well?

Thank you so much for your helps!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:
Eric

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Eric,

no, if you update your skills assessment (= new letter, new assessment date), you'll definitely get a new date of effect and get ranked further back in the queue. And you won't be able to claim points for your 1-year work experience in Australia if you get re-assessed because ACS only considers you skilled after that year, sorry :(.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi Eric,

no, if you update your skills assessment (= new letter, new assessment date), you'll definitely get a new date of effect and get ranked further back in the queue. And you won't be able to claim points for your 1-year work experience in Australia if you get re-assessed because ACS only considers you skilled after that year, sorry :(.
Hi Monika,

I just realised there is a statement in the IMMI website.

"If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the department on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience."

I think I would need to re-assess my skill assessment to include my work experience anyway :(

Should I re-assess it now or just do it after January next year?

I want to sit in the front of the queue as possible ;(

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Erik,

re-taking IELTS would also be an option. If you can score 65+ points you can jump the entire 60-point-queue, independent of when you submit the EOI ;). You studied and worked in Australia, so your English should be pretty good, right?

If you want to get re-assessed I'd recommend to wait until January to get the letter in the new format.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Erik,

re-taking IELTS would also be an option. If you can score 65+ points you can jump the entire 60-point-queue, independent of when you submit the EOI ;). You studied and worked in Australia, so your English should be pretty good, right?

If you want to get re-assessed I'd recommend to wait until January to get the letter in the new format.

Cheers,
Monika
Yes I think I would just aim for an 8.

Actually I got an 8 and a 9 for my listening and reading. Just need 0.5 more for writing and 1 for listening.

·
Registered
205 Posts
HI door999mo,

when did you graduate? According to the ACS News section:

This means that the assessing authorities now have to clarify whether the assessment is valid for a specific migration visa subclass (485 Recent Graduate) or "or not be restricted by reference to a specific visa subclass or stream (an 'open' assessment)."

As I see it - feel free to correct me - this means that you are good to go with your "old" assessment. You can write to ACS and ask them to clarify if your assessment is valid for a 189 application and add that letter to the visa submission, if you want. It's one of these transitional things: DIBP wants the assessing authorities to print the suitability on the result letters now but ACS will only start doing so in the new year.

You could also wait until January, get a re-assessment and update your EOI with the new result date. That means your date of effect changes as well.

Cheers,
Monika
Hi Monika,

What are these new updates?..Do we need to re-assess our ACS results?.I got my positive assessment on Nov 20, 2013 and looking to file EOI for 189 visa in December 2013.Please guide me, I m confused..:rolleyes2:..thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts