Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my options for visas, to move to France, and am now looking for information on the au pair route... I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to, yet, so I'm hoping someone here knows. If I got an au pair job that was not full-time, would i be able to search for other work to support myself? Is it a work visa that would allow that? A friend of mine told me that it's easier to get hired in France if you are an au pair, but he didn't know specifics about the visa. We're going to talk to some au pairs...

·
Administrator
51,271 Posts
An au pair visa anywhere in Europe is subject to some very particular regulations. Au pairs are limited as to the hours and type of work they can do, and must be granted time off to attend classes (in France, for language training), etc.

I don't believe that you're allowed to work other than as an au pair - but I could be wrong on that. The au pair family has to put you up, give you a private room and is supposed to treat you as a member of the family rather than as an "employee." Your "pay" consists of basically pocket money - as the family is supposed to provide food and shelter while you're with them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but based on the needs of the family, you'd probably be able to create a situation that works for both them, and you, right? A friend of a friend (trying to get in touch with her) works only a few hours a week as an au pair. Don't know if she lives with the family or not. But it seems like every situation is different. looking into it... :) thanks for your input!

·
Administrator
51,271 Posts
but based on the needs of the family, you'd probably be able to create a situation that works for both them, and you, right? A friend of a friend (trying to get in touch with her) works only a few hours a week as an au pair. Don't know if she lives with the family or not. But it seems like every situation is different. looking into it... :) thanks for your input!
The issue is not "every situation is different" but "what are the regulations regarding the type of visa you hold." Just as in the US, there are certainly those cases where people abuse the terms and conditions of an au pair visa. If you get caught, you can be tossed out of the country, or your au pair family can be subject to fines.

Check with the appropriate French consulate, but an au pair visa requires an employment contract approved by the French labor department, just like any other work visa. You are not permitted to take on other employment (not legally, anyhow), and you are supposed to be enrolled in French culture or language classes while you are in France.

This is the Service-Public (i.e. official government) website page concerning au pair work and contracts for foreigners in France: Cas particulier des stagiaires aides familiaux - Service-public.fr
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
<< I don't believe that you're allowed to work other than as an au pair - but I could be wrong on that. The au pair family has to put you up, give you a private room and is supposed to treat you as a member of the family rather than as an "employee." Your "pay" consists of basically pocket money - as the family is supposed to provide food and shelter while you're with them.>>

I have some (very bitter) experience of this whilst living in the UK. We had two slovakian au-pairs within 18 months, they were a very expensive disaster.

No you are not allowed to work elsewhere - but the usual dodge is that a group of au-pairs will co-operate so that one looks after 'all' the kids whilst the others go and clean houses, etc.

Given the current climate about H&S considerations for children, I would'nt like to be in teh shoes of any au-pair who had an incident whilst looking after more than one child. Or the parents, come to taht - not only would they have any direct consequences to cope with, the authorities would be all over them for letting it happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.