Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner is British and he is over here on a working holiday visa (the IEC one), expiring in July 2014. We currently live together.

We've been together since October 2011 so we're looking into me sponsoring him for Canadian PR.

But we looked on the website today and it said processing times are a year and a half. His WHV isn't even close to that. Is there any way to extend it, or does he have to apply for a second WHV?

In addition how do we discern whether we are conjugal or common-law? We lived together in the UK from Sep 2012 but we had seperate leases, then I had to leave the UK in May 2013 because my visa expired. He couldn't leave, as he was on a course. Then he moved in with me in Canada in July. So would that two month gap disqualify us as applying as commonlaw?

Thanks. This is all very confusing and we have to start the process asap

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You cannot extend a WHV. He will need to apply for a new one when they become available, probably anytime within the next three months.

You need to have lived in a provable common-law relationship for 12 continuous months.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You need to have lived in a provable common-law relationship for 12 continuous months.
Indeed. And a not so small detail: BEFORE you can apply. So first being able to prove that you have been living together for at least 12 months, then apply of for visa.
Read the story of someone who applied after 11 months living together, and the visa was denied.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks above. Yea we knew you had to be in a provable relationship for 12 months to qualify. Our challenge at this point is the frickin gap from earlier this year, and we can't figure out how to prove we've been together for over 2 years now. Applying under the Conjugal category seems like maybe they'll judge you more critically so I don't know. :pout:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.