Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I don't know where else to turn and I'm starting to get really stressed out over this whole process.

I'm a US citizen applying for a settlement visa to join my husband (a UK citizen) who resides and works in the UK. We've got most of the paperwork sorted out, I just have a couple of questions:

1. My husband works for the Navy and has an income of 17,000 pounds. I just finished a teaching contract in south korea, and while I was working and receiving income, I now am technically unemployed. I have a bonus of 6 thousand dollars that I am waiting to receive from the korean government. (but only half of that will arrive by the time I turn in the application) He only has about 1,000 pounds in savings. Will this be enough to cover the financial requirements?

2. As for the application, I'm confused as to what to put for my employment status. I am currently unemployed as I just finished an overseas teaching contract. But for the past year (up to Feb 2012) I have been employed, and I have my contract and bankbook to prove it. So my question is, should I put put "employed" and provide the UKBA with this information, or should I just put "unemployed"?

3. I just opened a new US bank account in which my bonus funds will be put into. So I won't have six months of bank statements to show my savings. What should I do in this case?

I apologize for the amount of information. I just can't find answers to these questions, as the website is vague on information or people to contact.

I will greatly appreciate any help!

Regards,
Mrs. Wrigglesworth

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I don't know where else to turn and I'm starting to get really stressed out over this whole process.

I'm a US citizen applying for a settlement visa to join my husband (a UK citizen) who resides and works in the UK. We've got most of the paperwork sorted out, I just have a couple of questions:

1. My husband works for the Navy and has an income of 17,000 pounds. I just finished a teaching contract in south korea, and while I was working and receiving income, I now am technically unemployed. I have a bonus of 6 thousand dollars that I am waiting to receive from the korean government. (but only half of that will arrive by the time I turn in the application) He only has about 1,000 pounds in savings. Will this be enough to cover the financial requirements?
Current requirement translates to a pre-tax income of around £14,000, so you are OK. The new proposals, when put into effect (don't know when), may nearly double it.

2. As for the application, I'm confused as to what to put for my employment status. I am currently unemployed as I just finished an overseas teaching contract. But for the past year (up to Feb 2012) I have been employed, and I have my contract and bankbook to prove it. So my question is, should I put put "employed" and provide the UKBA with this information, or should I just put "unemployed"?
You are currently unemployed, so that's what you put down. Your supporting documents will make clear you have been in work until quite recently. Enclose your CV (resume) and a sample job ad from UK that you can go for, quoting salary offered

3. I just opened a new US bank account in which my bonus funds will be put into. So I won't have six months of bank statements to show my savings. What should I do in this case?
Did you have another account? Can you supply some statements?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, thank you for your help with the first two questions.

I do have another US bank account that I currently share with my mother. It's been virtually empty except for money that I've put into it to pay off student loans. Also, My mother had her work bonus put in (about 10 thousand dollars) then it was gone within a month.

I'm just afraid that they will see these statements and see me not being financially stable.

should I write a letter to explain the statements as well as provide them with the balance of my other account?

·
Registered
8 Posts
can you live with a friend or does it have to be family as on form it says does you sponsor own property which i do not but i am uk citizen wife us our friend is willing to support us rent free till and i think i can find work there trhough frineds so do we put friends name of the place we are staying they are getting the land registry papers to show they own house thank you for all your help in passed

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
lonscotgib said:
can you live with a friend or does it have to be family as on form it says does you sponsor own property which i do not but i am uk citizen wife us our friend is willing to support us rent free till and i think i can find work there trhough frineds so do we put friends name of the place we are staying they are getting the land registry papers to show they own house thank you for all your help in passed
You can live with a non-family member and they should put their offer in writing, stating clearly how long for, whether rent and bill-free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.