Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My husband and I have found ourselves in an interesting situation. We have the opportunity to move out of the country, and we have two options. One of our options is Melbourne, and we'd like to get some information about it.

1) What are the schools like? We currently have a daughter in college, and a son at a boardings school in the US. Our third is in middle school, and looking at boarding schools in Switzerland for high school. We still have two in elementary school, though, so they would be attending school in Melbourne.

2) What is the housing like? How easy/difficult is it to purchase/rent a house? Would you recommend buying or renting. I've heard that the housing market in Melbourne is incredibly expensive. Is this expensive relative to pay, or expensive relative to the rest of the world?

Any other comments and advice are welcome, too. Thank you!

·
Registered
716 Posts
1) What are the schools like? We currently have a daughter in college, and a son at a boardings school in the US. Our third is in middle school, and looking at boarding schools in Switzerland for high school. We still have two in elementary school, though, so they would be attending school in Melbourne.
There's state-government schools, private and semi-private ones, in different price brackets. Private schools can be academically more selective, and considerably more expensive. Some state-subsidised schools are academically very strong as well.

Other members can shed more light on this, as I only started my tertiary education in Australia.

2) What is the housing like? How easy/difficult is it to purchase/rent a house? Would you recommend buying or renting. I've heard that the housing market in Melbourne is incredibly expensive. Is this expensive relative to pay, or expensive relative to the rest of the world?

Any other comments and advice are welcome, too. Thank you!
A decent-sized house in a good suburb will be at least half a million clean. Go anywhere closer to the city like Caulfield or Kew and you quickly approach 7 figures.

Renting is usually a better choice until you settle down and get a clearer idea of what your suburb and price preferences will get you. Moreover, banks will be rather edgy about issuing mortgages unless you've been living here for a few months at least.

Renting is in a squeeze...the rental market has low vacancy and short turnaround rates, so you'll have to look quick and hard to secure a decent place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.