Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have two questions about mail in France:

1. We frequently receive mail addressed to the person who previously lived in our house. How can we mark this mail as "no longer at this address" and then send it back to the sender?

2. I am planning to be gone for a few months... is there a way I can tell our postman that we do not want to have any "pub" delivered while I am gone? (I don't want our mailbox to be filled with junk mail.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Write in capital letters NPAI (N'habite plus à l'adresse indiquée) on the envelope and put it back in a post box.

As for the junk mail, have a word with your postman. But not all the junk mail is delivered by the postman. Might be a good idea to put a message on your letter box: PAS DE PUB - MERCI

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
The main "weapon" I've seen against all the ads is the sign Verite mentioned. Not sure how well it works - but it seems to be the best you can do. Actually, in our area, the postal workers apparently moonlight by distributing the adverts when they do the mail (though there seems to have been a real drop in that activity in recent years). I wonder, however, if I could get the parish to stop cluttering up our mailbox with their newsletter with such a sign.... oh well.

Anyhow, you can google "pas de publicite autocolant" and find any number of attractive free stickers for your mailbox. Plus, I stumbled onto this advice from one of the main "consumer advice" sites: Refus prospectus boîte à lettres So if they refuse to respect your sticker, apparently you do have some recourse.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One of my first attempts at employment over here was as a leaflet distributor.

I 'passed' the one day course :rolleyes:, which featured such things as map-reading :) , and as it was all in 200 mph French I was quite pleased with myself at the time.

I remember being told to ignore the stickers, or you will have few houses left to deliver to.

Also, you had to collect all the packs of leaflets, take them home, sort them into a selection for each house, then drive to the first letter box before the 'meter' finally started for the salary.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
....And, dear Clicky Clacky, I thought you were a nice guy until I read that you stuffed my mail box full of rubbish!

DejW

One of my first attempts at employment over here was as a leaflet distributor.

I 'passed' the one day course :rolleyes:, which featured such things as map-reading :) , and as it was all in 200 mph French I was quite pleased with myself at the time.

I remember being told to ignore the stickers, or you will have few houses left to deliver to.

Also, you had to collect all the packs of leaflets, take them home, sort them into a selection for each house, then drive to the first letter box before the 'meter' finally started for the salary.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
....And, dear Clicky Clacky, I thought you were a nice guy until I read that you stuffed my mail box full of rubbish!

DejW
No, I never saw 'active service'. :p

Fortunately, like London Buses, another offer came along at the same time and saved my shoe leather.

We have a 'leaflet lady' who visits us at 23.30 on Sunday evenings & is always surprised that the dog is unimpressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts