Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I am new to posting on this site but have frequented it for several months now. My question lies in the realm of the Long stay visa for spouse of French citizen. According to the Chicago Consulate website, the Long Stay visa now replaces the carte de sejour for the first year. Since I will be the spouse of a French citizen, I will be able to work without the paperwork of someone without a carte de sejour correct?

My other question is about the Application form that I will turn in when applying for the actual visa. One question asks if I will seek employment in France and if so, what as and what is the name of the employer, address and telephone number. Since I am going to live with my wife, I will be seeking employment but will not have a job before I go. Do I put Yes I will be seeking employment but don't have a job or do I simply put "no?"

·
Administrator
49,815 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

OK, the rules are that you can work as soon as you get your visa validated by the OFII office on arrival. From recent posts, it seems that getting that appointment with the OFII can take several weeks to maybe a couple of months.

As far as having the right paperwork is concerned, yes you can work as soon as you have that validated visa, but within France they don't disseminate information very well regarding rules changes like this. You are likely to find many employers who will still ask to see a carte de séjour. Your best bet is to carry copies of the relevant pages from either the OFII website or the Service-Public website (in French, of course) with you - and show them to the employer when they ask to see your carte de séjour.

On the application, best to be truthful but brief. Indicate that you will be seeking employment, but do not have an employer. (You might want to put something in parens about being the spouse of a French citizen, just to remind them.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome to the forum.

OK, the rules are that you can work as soon as you get your visa validated by the OFII office on arrival. From recent posts, it seems that getting that appointment with the OFII can take several weeks to maybe a couple of months.

As far as having the right paperwork is concerned, yes you can work as soon as you have that validated visa, but within France they don't disseminate information very well regarding rules changes like this. You are likely to find many employers who will still ask to see a carte de séjour. Your best bet is to carry copies of the relevant pages from either the OFII website or the Service-Public website (in French, of course) with you - and show them to the employer when they ask to see your carte de séjour.

On the application, best to be truthful but brief. Indicate that you will be seeking employment, but do not have an employer. (You might want to put something in parens about being the spouse of a French citizen, just to remind them.)
Cheers,
Bev
Great, thanks for the confirmation Bev. I read previous posts but wasn't sure if things were changing again due to the relatively newness of the June 1st changes.

On previous posts I saw people applying for a Long Stay Visitor visa asking about if they need a round trip for their itinerary. For the Long Stay Spouse application a flight itinerary is needed but I just want to confirm that it is a one way trip ticket I need to purchase. I called the consulate in Chicago and the lady kind of laughed when I asked her and said that it is a one way ticket that is needed (I've learned to double check their statements hehe). Anyways, looking at the LA consulate website they say it takes it takes about 7 days to process and on the Chicago it takes up to 3 weeks. This is important because I will need to know when to purchase my ticket, any one go through the process and how long did it take?

I hope this is my last question for the application process but one requirement is the French spouses intention to reside in France. I am not sure if I show them my soon to be wife's rent bill or what because I won't be listed on anything until I actually move to France. As always, thanks for the help and useful info from everyone!

Cory

·
Administrator
49,815 Posts
I hope this is my last question for the application process but one requirement is the French spouses intention to reside in France. I am not sure if I show them my soon to be wife's rent bill or what because I won't be listed on anything until I actually move to France. As always, thanks for the help and useful info from everyone!
If your soon-to-be wife has a lease/rental contract, that would be probably the best. An employment contract would be good, too, if she's got one lined up.

Doesn't have to be in your name. They're just looking to see that your spouse is "established" to some extent in France and not just passing through to qualify you for the visa.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.