Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I´m German but I have lived my entire life in Ecuador, I only speak Spanish and English, not German but I have a German passport though, could I enter to Sheffield without problems??

I would like to move to Sheffield, because I´ve heard that it is one of the less expensive cities in UK, is it true that the minimum cost of living is £800??

So what I´m planning to do is to get a job in Sheffield, since Sheffield is not expensive and the minimum wage per hour is £6.31 so I could even get more than £800 if I got a job of 8 hours per day

At the moment I´m studying Business in an Ecuadorian university via distant mode, so while I´m working, I could finish my studies and then get a Master degree in a Sheffield university but the question is: Could I enter to a Sheffield university with a Business Bachelor degree from Ecuador?

How easy would it be for me to get a job in Sheffield??

- I´m 29 years old
- I´m still a Business university student
- But I have worked as a Manager assistant in a wooden courtains company for more than 10 years

What kind of jobs are easy to get in Sheffield??

Which other city would you recommend me instead of Sheffield??

Thanks a lot in advance for the info

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You will have no problems entering UK on your German (EU) passport, and your passport is sufficient to get a job in Sheffield (employer will take a photocopy).
As for employment opportunities in Sheffield, it's a large city but with plenty of young people (home to two large universities) and there is a lot of competition for things like bar work. You can probably live frugally on £800 a month, but that means sharing a flat, cooking your own meals, using public transport (which is pretty good with a modern tram system) but a minimum of entertainment and leisure. £1,000 to £1,200 will be better figure to aim at (this is after tax and national insurance).
Other Northern cities to consider are Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester and Liverpool. Similar in many ways, with vibrant city life and lots of young people (all have unis), but equally tough job market.
You can study for a degree or higher with your qualification, but you must pay higher tuition fees (around £12,000 to £18,000 a year) and no grant or bursary, and only loan for tuition fees, as you haven't lived in EU for 3 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info, but I have other questions
If there aren´t chances to get a bar work, what other kind of jobs could I get, I don´t really care if I even had to be a Garbage Collector, as long as I get a job while I´m studying via distant mode in the Ecuadorian university live for at least 3 years and then get some aid to get the Master degree?
What kind of jobs have high demand of employees but that pay for the 8 hours per day in Sheffield or in the other cities you mentioned??
Thanks again in advance for the info.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Any kind of job is tough, esp for someone new to UK with no local qualification and experience. Garbage collector is a tough job to enter as there are a lot of applicants and people tend to stay, as it's a steady job. You may get a job selling things in the street (like discount vouchers for nightlife) or call centre. Both tough unless you are good at selling things as it's almost all commission-based.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.