Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm planning to get my 189 PR and everything is going okay, but I realized three years ago I got infected with syphilis. I am cured now but the doctor said it would leave a mark so everytime they run a syphilis test it will come up positive. I am very worried right now, will my visa be refused because of that? Even I am cured and not contagious?

if you can give me answers that would be so good! Thank you guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello guys,

I'm planning to get my 189 PR and everything is going okay, but I realized three years ago I got infected with syphilis. I am cured now but the doctor said it would leave a mark so everytime they run a syphilis test it will come up positive. I am very worried right now, will my visa be refused because of that? Even I am cured and not contagious?

if you can give me answers that would be so good! Thank you guys!
BTW I'm applying for social work occupation, don't know if it's relevant but hope you guys can help me with this thanks!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they even tested for that, let alone used it as any kind of indication to stop your visa. The test is for serious health implications that would cause a burden on the australian health system. The blood test is for HIV. I had thought that the test checked for diabetes too, but it doesn't mention it and diabetes is completely manageable.

https://www.border.gov.au/forms/Documents/26.pdf

You will be absolutely fine with your issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they even tested for that, let alone used it as any kind of indication to stop your visa. The test is for serious health implications that would cause a burden on the australian health system. The blood test is for HIV. I had thought that the test checked for diabetes too, but it doesn't mention it and diabetes is completely manageable.

https://www.border.gov.au/forms/Documents/26.pdf

You will be absolutely fine with your issue.
You might be gobsmacked but syphilis is a serious, highly contagious disease, and about 20,000 people get it a year. :)

The medical examination is in part to protect the Australian community from public health and safety risks. Although the cost to the community of any condition is also assessed, it's actually the protection of the community from these risks that is the first concern. :)

Jacksonpitch needs to tell the doctor his history when he has his examination. I'm no doctor but I imagine the doctor might then ask for a VDRL or RPR syphilis test - this is included as an option for the doctor on Form 26. It's easily treated, and since Jacksonpitch has been cured, he shouldn't worry - but he does still need to tell the doctor.

Of course, the applicant "... must truthfully disclose your medical history and details of any known medical conditions."

Quite apart from any possible concern for the Australian community, not declaring your medical history truthfully (after declaring that you have!) is possible grounds for visa refusal and cancellation.

There are many health issues that in limited circumstances could be a significant cost over the longer term. When there are any possible issues, these should be identified by the Doctor. The applicant may then be asked for further information or tests. :)

There is a diabetes question on Form 26 that could lead to testing if an applicant was a diabetic.

Although manageable, the cost of diabetes treatment to Australia, especially where there are associated complications, can be considerable. Type 1 costs Australia about $570 million a year, Type 2 about $6 Billion a year for the million-odd Australians with the condition. See "The financial costs of diabetes" here: https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/e7282521-472b-4313-b18e-be84c3d5d907.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be gobsmacked but syphilis is a serious, highly contagious disease, and about 20,000 people get it a year. :)

The medical examination is in part to protect the Australian community from public health and safety risks. Although the cost to the community of any condition is also assessed, it's actually the protection of the community from these risks that is the first concern. :)

Jacksonpitch needs to tell the doctor his history when he has his examination. I'm no doctor but I imagine the doctor might then ask for a VDRL or RPR syphilis test - this is included as an option for the doctor on Form 26. It's easily treated, and since Jacksonpitch has been cured, he shouldn't worry - but he does still need to tell the doctor.

Of course, the applicant "... must truthfully disclose your medical history and details of any known medical conditions."

Quite apart from any possible concern for the Australian community, not declaring your medical history truthfully (after declaring that you have!) is possible grounds for visa refusal and cancellation.

There are many health issues that in limited circumstances could be a significant cost over the longer term. When there are any possible issues, these should be identified by the Doctor. The applicant may then be asked for further information or tests. :)

There is a diabetes question on Form 26 that could lead to testing.

Thank you kaju, I understand that I need to provide documentations for it, just wondering should I ask my doctor to provide hardcopy declaimers? or what should I do? Also, I had a look at health undergo policy, apparently if I have syphilis I may be asked for undergo follow-ups? even when I am cured?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts

Thank you kaju, I understand that I need to provide documentations for it, just wondering should I ask my doctor to provide hardcopy declaimers? or what should I do? Also, I had a look at health undergo policy, apparently if I have syphilis I may be asked for undergo follow-ups? even when I am cured?
I wouldn't worry about it. :) Easy to say, I know! :)

The examining doctor will be able to take care of the situation, so you just need to let him know.

They will want to be sure you no longer have the disease, or if not, ensure you are treated and cured.

I'm not familiar with the exact procedure, but I imagine you may have to step through a couple more hoops in that you might have to do a test, and Bupa may need to check the results etc.

Considering you're already cured I doubt there is likely to be any real issue after that. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wouldn't worry about it. :) Easy to say, I know! :)

The examining doctor will be able to take care of the situation, so you just need to let him know.

They will want to be sure you no longer have the disease, or if not, ensure you are treated and cured.

I'm not familiar with the exact procedure, but I imagine you may have to step through a couple more hoops in that you might have to do a test, and Bupa may need to check the results etc.

Considering you're already cured I doubt there is likely to be any real issue after that. :)
Thank you, Kaju! :) really appreciate it!
does it matter if i work as a social worker?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts