Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI dear Expat members, I hope you.re all doing great and enjoying the end of autumn :)

I have a few questions and I would be deeply grateful if you could clear them up for me.

First one is about nurseries and prefunded places. When and how should I put down my child's name to be considered for a prefunded place? Should I call the local council or go straight to a nursery to get information?
I don't know if I'll be sending her to nursery as soon as she turns 3, but I would like to have that option.

Second question: Is my husband eligible to get child benefit for our daughter, since they are UKC and not subject to immigration control? And will any additional children of ours, born in the UK, qualify? I really don't want to jeopardise my status here or claim something our child is not entitled to, since I am subject to immigration control and I find it a bit confusing to figure out if my husband and child qualify.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read through my questions.

G

·
Just go to a few local nurseries and put her name on their waiting list. I would put her on a couple as a back up in case they dont have a place when she is 3. Better to have to refuse places than not have one at all.
If you meet criteria she may get a place aged 2, thats related to income but worth checking out. Still only 15hrs, usually am or pm sessions. https://www.gov.uk/free-early-education check you local council website for their criteria and how to apply, usually through childrens centres.

As for benefits your partner can claim anything they are entitled and for your child as a British citizen so long as they declare where asked that you do not have access to funds.
Look on turntous site to do a benefits check. He may get child and working tax credits too. http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

Confusing calculator as you would need to exclude yourself but add your income!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Shel. We'll go straight to the nurseries to get information and my husband would only claim child benefit if he is entitled to it and only if he qualifies. We have another child on the way now, and that is why I am asking.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
39,118 Posts
For benefit applications, all forms - both online and paper - have a box to tick whether your partner is subject to immigration control, so you won't miss it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi MacUK...

Contact the Children's Information Service (CIS) in your area re: nursery places. They can also give you details of childminders linked to the scheme and any other childcare related queries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.