Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask question. Feb. 2017 I moved into new community around Dubai-Land area.

We had to move a smaller place because I was laid -off from my full time job I had. I am actively looking for job it hasn't been easy. My wife the breadwinner of the household works for large company three months ago instead of laying off employees their company decided to cut salary and benefits by 20% to 30% depending on the level of your position.
Long story short; we are delayed paying our credit card - FGB, the only card we had between us. We are three months late paying our minimum, tried to be honest and open with the bank. Now they have started contacting my wife's job, she received an email from her HR to resolve this or they will take disciplinary action against her.
From the collection company to HR "Good Day! Please reply in the below matter, we have to finalized her case, and given details to legal authority for arrest, its already delayed, we send our legal office"
i am lost monthly we are paying whatever is available after paying for food and all the necessary utility and care for our toddler daughter. what we owe in total is 30K TODAY THEY SAID WE OWE 71K.
Can someone please advise us who should we contact to stop the abusement via my wife's HR or to resolve and come up with an amicable amount to pay every month

thank you

·
Registered
92 Posts
Apply for a personal loan (if you get one), and clear the credit card bill (interest rates are very high).. if not, close the credit card and approach the bank for a settlement.. also sell any assets you have that you don't particularly need, and pay off the debts..

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Firstly I didn't think it was legal to reduce a persons salary - you should take up this issue with the Ministry of Labour.

Secondly, the bank has no right to call your wife's company over this - raise a complaint with the central bank over this.

FGB are the worst, they won't give a damn. Unfortunately after three missed payments, they are obliged to file a police case.

My advice is do absolutely everything you can to get rid of this card. The bank aren't going to give you a loan, not FGB anyway. But sell anything you can, borrow money from family if you have to, because if they've filed a case and your wife gets arrested, you'll be in an even worse position as she'll be detained until the outstanding amount is paid off.

Not sure how they managed to increase the debt from 30k to 71 in 3 months - guessing they've hiked the interest and late charges.

But get rid of this thing asap.

IF they've filed a police case, you won't even be able to leave the country at this point. If they haven't, hate to say it, but I'd be on the next plane out.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Firstly I didn't think it was legal to reduce a persons salary - you should take up this issue with the Ministry of Labour.
If the guy agreed to the reduction then yes it is legal
Secondly, the bank has no right to call your wife's company over this - raise a complaint with the central bank over this.

FGB are the worst, they won't give a damn. Unfortunately after three missed payments, they are obliged to file a police case.

My advice is do absolutely everything you can to get rid of this card. The bank aren't going to give you a loan, not FGB anyway. But sell anything you can, borrow money from family if you have to, because if they've filed a case and your wife gets arrested, you'll be in an even worse position as she'll be detained until the outstanding amount is paid off.

Not sure how they managed to increase the debt from 30k to 71 in 3 months - guessing they've hiked the interest and late charges.

But get rid of this thing asap.

IF they've filed a police case, you won't even be able to leave the country at this point. If they haven't, hate to say it, but I'd be on the next plane out.
Cheque for 30,000 is a fine of 2,000 maximum, but do you want to take the chance - highly unlikely the bank will file a civil case BUT, it won't stop them from harassing you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts