Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am an American citizen and graduate student living in the UK on a Tier-4 Student Visa. My current visa expires August 30, 2015.

My husband is a British citizen and, though we were hoping to achieve eligibility to apply for my spousal visa prior to my current visa's expiry, we will now have to wait until December due to unforeseen circumstances so I will be returning home to the US at the end of August to wait.

Am I allowed to visit him here in the UK at least once prior to making our application in December, or will I be refused entry because I have resided in the UK on a year-long visa? Is there a waiting period before I am eligible to return under a usual US tourist visa? I have tried searching online but have read a number of conflicting accounts. It is important to both of us that we keep everything very above-board with the UKVI, as we certainly do not want to accidentally overstep any boundaries we were not aware of.

I would like to stress that I am not trying to return to the UK immediately after my current visa expires, nor are we trying to do anything funny. As many of you know too well, the process is stressful and being separated only makes it more so, so it would definitely help if I could visit him at least once during that 3-4 month period (and he will also be visiting me, too).

Thank you very much for your time and your response in advance!

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
You would need to show ties to the US so you won't overstay.

Having already spent time in the UK there might be questions as to why you are returning so soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is no waiting period between your visa expiry and when you are allowed to return as a visitor. You are entering the UK under different terms, so you're not overstaying a visa. I agree that it might raise questions about whether you plan to leave, but not abnormally so. Having a husband in the UK is a legitimate reason for a visit, just make sure you have a return ticket, proof of employment and residence in the US.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I'm 99% sure, in my opinion, that you will get stopped at UK border and questioned. While you may be eventually allowed in, being subjected to tough questioning, perhaps in an interview room, isn't a pleasant experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.