Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Friends,
I am a Software Engineer from India and I just received my IELTS results (L:8, R:9, W:7.5, S: 8). I have applied the EOI for Software Engineer today with 65 points for 189 and 70 points for 190 (Victoria only). Can you please help with following questions? Sorry if any questions are too common and frequent, would appreciate if you can help share your thoughts on some of them:
1. Do I stand a chance with 65 points in 189 as the current cutoff for Software Engineer is 70 points?
2. What is the average response times from Victoria, if known? even if it means a rejection, so I can apply for other states. At one point of time last year, I read on this forum that VIC responded in 3 weeks, is it anywhere near that now?
3. Victoria state nomination website said it is preferable to have candidates apply only to them, will they know if I apply using another email and EOI account to NSW to increase my chances?
4. Does Victoria consider or value candidates with higher IELTS overall score, higher individual band scores or more years of experience among a pool of candidates with same score? For example, if Tom, Dick and Harry have 70 points each in 190 for Victoria, but Tom has higher overall IELTS score, while Dick has great score in couple of bands, while Harry has more years of experience, will they prefer Tom, Dick or Harry?
5. I am planning to appeal my writing section of IELTS hoping to get half a point, can I do that without withdrawing my EOI, or should I withdraw it?
6. If I withdraw my EOI now, and comeback after two months, lets say October 1st. Will I retain the August 12th application date as EOI entry?

Thanks in advance for reading my questions, and appreciate your time!!!

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
Dear Friends,
I am a Software Engineer from India and I just received my IELTS results (L:8, R:9, W:7.5, S: 8). I have applied the EOI for Software Engineer today with 65 points for 189 and 70 points for 190 (Victoria only). Can you please help with following questions? Sorry if any questions are too common and frequent, would appreciate if you can help share your thoughts on some of them:
1. Do I stand a chance with 65 points in 189 as the current cutoff for Software Engineer is 70 points?
2. What is the average response times from Victoria, if known? even if it means a rejection, so I can apply for other states. At one point of time last year, I read on this forum that VIC responded in 3 weeks, is it anywhere near that now?
3. Victoria state nomination website said it is preferable to have candidates apply only to them, will they know if I apply using another email and EOI account to NSW to increase my chances?
4. Does Victoria consider or value candidates with higher IELTS overall score, higher individual band scores or more years of experience among a pool of candidates with same score? For example, if Tom, Dick and Harry have 70 points each in 190 for Victoria, but Tom has higher overall IELTS score, while Dick has great score in couple of bands, while Harry has more years of experience, will they prefer Tom, Dick or Harry?
5. I am planning to appeal my writing section of IELTS hoping to get half a point, can I do that without withdrawing my EOI, or should I withdraw it?
6. If I withdraw my EOI now, and comeback after two months, lets say October 1st. Will I retain the August 12th application date as EOI entry?

Thanks in advance for reading my questions, and appreciate your time!!!
1. The limit of only 1000 invites per month has made it very difficult to guess the invitation date for 65 pointers. All sorts of theories and calculations are floating on the forum.
Mine would by just 1 more of it .You should get after 6/7 months of lodging the EOI

2. You can no longer apply to VIC directly for ICT unless you are exempted as your are working or PHD etc
So if you are not exempted, then when they would send you a preinvite cannot be guessed

3. I have heard that states have access to the complete 190 EOI database and they can do a name search also. If true, they can find out, else not

4. Vic looks at several factors including English, but unlike NSW not too many,points are awarded for high English. Your education, skills and the demand for the same in the state gets a good number of points
I don't think exactly how many points are awarded on what basis is put out in the public domain. Anybody who advises you would be guessing it

5. No need to withdraw the EOI while appealing the IELTS score.
If your appeal is successful, revise the scores in the EOI

6. If you withdraw the EOI, your seniority in the queue would be lost. You just suspend your EOI, the seniority will be maintained. But be warned, that if your points change in October or any date in the future, then the date will be reset to that date irrespective of suspension

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks newbienz!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One last question, if (big if) I get VIC nomination and 190 visa, I plan to visit Melbourne for a short duration of a week for the first time, and may be come back to Melbourne (Australia itself) after a year so I can wrap up my current commitments in the home country, India. Based on the below text from Victoria website, will I be breaking the contract of staying in VIC for 2 years? I do not intend to stay anywhere else other than Melbourne as long as I am in Australia, just that I might have to take a big break before the permanent move after meeting the initial entry requirement.

Snippet from Victoria website for 190:
You, and any nominated dependants, must live in Victoria for the first two years of your visa. This two year period begins when you enter Australia permanently on the Skilled Nominated (190) visa, or if you are already onshore, when the visa is granted by DIBP.

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
One last question, if (big if) I get VIC nomination and 190 visa, I plan to visit Melbourne for a short duration of a week for the first time, and may be come back to Melbourne (Australia itself) after a year so I can wrap up my current commitments in the home country, India. Based on the below text from Victoria website, will I be breaking the contract of staying in VIC for 2 years? I do not intend to stay anywhere else other than Melbourne as long as I am in Australia, just that I might have to take a big break before the permanent move after meeting the initial entry requirement.

Snippet from Victoria website for 190:
You, and any nominated dependants, must live in Victoria for the first two years of your visa. This two year period begins when you enter Australia permanently on the Skilled Nominated (190) visa, or if you are already onshore, when the visa is granted by DIBP.
At the moment, You are safe.
It's just a moral commitment, nothing more then that.
So complete the IED and then return only after fulfilling all commitments in India for good

In future if the law changes, or they decide to enforce it very strictly, then you weigh the alternatives

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read on Live Victoria website that a pre-invite from VIC does not guarantee nomination, approximately can we know the percentage of normal cases (no fraud, and without much employment gaps) do get nominated finally?

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
I read on Live Victoria website that a pre-invite from VIC does not guarantee nomination, approximately can we know the percentage of normal cases (no fraud, and without much employment gaps) do get nominated finally?
I have not seen that data being published in the public domain

Cheers

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Have a look at immitracker for 2016/17. You can filter for, say, 65+5 points if you want. It will give you a fair idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have applied for 190 Visa with 65 points with including SS for Victoria & Queensland using two different email address

I have submitted nomination application for Victoria so as I came to know that for 190 Visa have separate database so I have withdrawn my Queensland EOI

Now my question is am I doing in a right way, if Victoria reject my application ,I want to apply for Queensland but I don't see any option in Queensland website please help

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
I have applied for 190 Visa with 65 points with including SS for Victoria & Queensland using two different email address

I have submitted nomination application for Victoria so as I came to know that for 190 Visa have separate database so I have withdrawn my Queensland EOI

Now my question is am I doing in a right way, if Victoria reject my application ,I want to apply for Queensland but I don't see any option in Queensland website please help

Anzsco code ?

Cheers

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
ANZSCO code is 261311 Programmer analyst

Any possibility of getting invite for this role sooner from Victoria State?

As you are an ICT applicant, you have no option but to submit an EOI and wait for a preinvite

When or if at all they will invite you cannot be predicted nor can you do anything to expedite the process

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
As you are an ICT applicant, you have no option but to submit an EOI and wait for a preinvite

When or if at all they will invite you cannot be predicted nor can you do anything to expedite the process

Cheers
So you mean that the probability of ICT applicants are getting less invite from Victoria State?

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
So you mean that the probability of ICT applicants are getting less invite from Victoria State?

I am not saying that they are having more or less chances of invites or sponsorship

Non ICT applicants can apply directly to Live in Vic website for sponsorship and get a yes or no answer in 12 weeks
ICT applicants do not have that facility and have to wait for a preinvite through the Skillselect route, which can be endless

Only those ICT applicants who are already working in Vic or have PhD etc. Are exempt from this rule

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I have applied through live in Victoria website will they acknowledge my application like shall I get any email about my application as I am ICT applicant

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
So I have applied through live in Victoria website will they acknowledge my application like shall I get any email about my application as I am ICT applicant

If an ineligible applicant applied directly to VIC, I have no idea whether they would respond or not

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
If an ineligible applicant applied directly to VIC, I have no idea whether they would respond or not

Cheers
Also, now a days I have seen people with ANZSCO 261311 Analyst Programmer are not getting 189 Visa even with 65 Points I have seen only invites for 70 points does it mean they are preferring applicants who have 70 points or analyst programmer role priority is changed from 65 - 70?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Also, now a days I have seen people with ANZSCO 261311 Analyst Programmer are not getting 189 Visa even with 65 Points I have seen only invites for 70 points does it mean they are preferring applicants who have 70 points or analyst programmer role priority is changed from 65 - 70?

What is your query?
DIBP always preferred higher points candidates. This year the cut off is higher at the moment (70) and there is a limit of 1000 for invitations per round,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts