Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
Just a quick question ,could someone post a link regarding the 600 euro per person(inc children) per month income we need to show before getting residency as before i posted my previous post i was not aware of this and i cant find anything about it in the requirements .
thank you :)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
hi ,
Just a quick question ,could someone post a link regarding the 600 euro per person(inc children) per month income we need to show before getting residency as before i posted my previous post i was not aware of this and i cant find anything about it in the requirements .
thank you :)
I don't think it's actually written down like that anywhere.

I seem to recall that the wording is that you must not be a burden on the state (can't see how us foreigners can be as we can get nothing from the state!).

That figure has been arrived at from people's experience. Every office seems to have a different set of rules. Some say a sum in the bank is sufficient others say you need both etc. etc.

·
Registered
746 Posts
ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards. In this latter case, an up to date bank certificate proving the amount available by way of credit on the aforesaid card shall be produced. The assessment of sufficient resources must be carried out on an individual basis, taking into account the applicant’s personal and family circumstances. The possession of resources that are more than the amount established each year by the State General Budgets Act “Ley de Presupuestos Generales de Estado” that justifies the right to receive non-contributory benefits, taking into account the interested persons’ personal and family circumstances, will be regarded as sufficient proof to meet this requirement​

Source: https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Reactions: deedee76

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards. In this latter case, an up to date bank certificate proving the amount available by way of credit on the aforesaid card shall be produced. The assessment of sufficient resources must be carried out on an individual basis, taking into account the applicant’s personal and family circumstances. The possession of resources that are more than the amount established each year by the State General Budgets Act “Ley de Presupuestos Generales de Estado” that justifies the right to receive non-contributory benefits, taking into account the interested persons’ personal and family circumstances, will be regarded as sufficient proof to meet this requirement​

Source: https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Am I right in thinking that the usual amount required is €600 per person per month, including children, paid into a Spanish bank account? Are savings also required? Do you also have to prove you have adequate medical provision in place?
So for five people you need to prove income of €3000 a month excluding spending on health cover?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the usual amount required is €600 per person per month, including children, paid into a Spanish bank account? Are savings also required?
No idea.

My interpretation of that paragraph is that people are assessed solely on their personal circumstances and that the amount of funds required whether regular monthly income or lump sum savings will differ from person to person depending on those circumstances.

That's logical — it's fair to say that the income required to sustain a couple with two children of school age is going to be significantly more than a single person for example.

This is probably why a specified set amount has not been stipulated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am I right in thinking that the usual amount required is €600 per person per month, including children, paid into a Spanish bank account? Are savings also required? Do you also have to prove you have adequate medical provision in place?
So for five people you need to prove income of €3000 a month excluding spending on health cover?

if this is the case then we have no chance of moving over as our regular income would only be 2600 euros this is before we pay the 350 euro a health insurance . we do have savings but i cant see that making any difference :(

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I have no doubt that the full amount would be expected in respect of young children because there are a certain amount of fixed costs, e.g. rent which would be shared across the entire family. Don't forget that the amount expected doesn't have to stay in the account. You can draw it out a short while after it has been paid in and pay it back in a couple of weeks later, it just has to figure in the incoming column of the bank statement.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Remember that the amount you have coming in will be subject to fluctuation on the exchange market so what 2600 is now may be more or less depending on the exchange rate.

To my mind, even if Spain is cheaper on some things, it is a wise to look at everything being like for like. We have spent the last year ( excluding mortgage and associated costs) lived off here in the UK what we would have to live off in Spain, that way we have been able to identify waste etc. We will have a very modest income, but we know we can live off of it, we have also allowed for inflation over the coming years, and not allowed for interest on savings, so basically looking at living off the least and expecting costs to rise.
If your husband is travelling to and from England and there are 5 of you 2600 seems low, but then my kids are 30+ now so what do i know LOL

Thats aside from residency, but to be honest in your situation, it seems to me that residency is the least of your issues, you need to think about schools and health first, can you afford private health cover, and schools - not sure about schools though, do you have to be paying into system to get free schools??

·
Registered
410 Posts
At the Torremolinos office were told we needed at least €20,000 in a Spanish bank account before they would even entertain our application for a family of 4 (2 kids, 2 adults).
This was despite my husband having a work contract (which we needed to have translated legally into Spanish - a work contract that clearly stated he would be bringing far more than the €600 per person per month salary).
We also had proof that we had taken out private health insurance.
So we needed to dump some more money into La Caixa, we paid to have hubby's contract legally translated and we were 'reluctantly' granted residency!!
Had it not been for another customer, a lovely German lady fluent in Spanish, we would have failed for a 2nd time. The clerk literally threw all of our paperwork back at us as the interpreter was on vacation for 1 month (we had an appointment). The German lady intervened and helped us, couldn't thank her enough.
15 years living in Asia & dealing with their immigration services, applying for Alien Registration Cards & visas and I have never experienced anything so foreign in my life!

So in our very recent experience (August 2013) at the office in Torremolinos the rules we encountered were:

€5000 - €6000 per applicant (incl children) in a Spanish bank account.

Proof of private health insurance - that was very important, and we needed to take copies of our policy to be officially stamped at a Sanitas office - despite having Sanitas cards with us as proof.

(We pay €164 to Sanitas per month for the 4 of us).

The work contract needed to be legally translated, although I am not sure they were that interested. They were more concerned with our bank statement.

As my husband had not started his job we could show no regular income going into a bank account. In your case that may make a difference.

But I wouldn't recommend applying in Torremolinos!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I have no doubt that the full amount would be expected in respect of young children because there are a certain amount of fixed costs, e.g. rent which would be shared across the entire family. Don't forget that the amount expected doesn't have to stay in the account. You can draw it out a short while after it has been paid in and pay it back in a couple of weeks later, it just has to figure in the incoming column of the bank statement.
OOOOOOOPppppps That should have been the other way round "I doubt that the full amount would be expected"

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It does vary from region to region and considerably. Someone we know just applied for residency where we live and they weren't asked for proof of anything and got their residencia no problems. The week before at the same police station another person was asked for proof of income and healthcare. €600 per month per person or €5000 in the bank. Where we live it seems it depends on who is on the desk that day. This is Spain!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thrax you have put 600 a month OR 5000 euro in the bank , we do have money in the bank to but a villa plus another account with back up fund plus 2600 monthly income do you think we would be considered?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why don't you just stick €30,000 in a Spanish bank account (your villa money) plus proof of private healthcare (or proof of whatever legitimate alternative you have) & I am sure that would cover most regions max requirements? Like someone mentioned earlier once residency is granted just move that money out again.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The new system is not well understood by the Spanish. If you put this money in a Spanish account then get your residency then take it out again. I have never come across anyone who has been checked once residency is granted. Here it is either OR but that might not apply elsewhere...

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
thrax you have put 600 a month OR 5000 euro in the bank , we do have money in the bank to but a villa plus another account with back up fund plus 2600 monthly income do you think we would be considered?
I honestly cannot see how that amount would be considered enough for five people even without paying rent. It's below the UK average for a family of four although that figure includes rent. I spend over €100 a month on fuel for the car yet don't do much travelling.Diesel/petrol is not much cheaper than in the UK.
Even having bought your own property outright - and although Torrevieja isn't as expensive property- wise as some areas you'll surely need well over €100k for anything half/way decent- The expenses of running a house plus a family of five will require more than €2600.

I think your biggest problem regarding money regulations will be the fact you have three children and one with a serious disability. Does your medical insurance cover ALL expenses such as hospital stays, medications and so on?

Well, you may be lucky with the money rules.. Who knows? Nothing here seems fixed and finite!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Slightly off-topic but one thing the government don't appear to have considered, apart from the aside that " no person shall be a burden on the state" , is that after the initial 5 year period of residency ,what is there to stop anyone applying for healthcare under the " letter of legislation ", route arguing that they have fallen on hard times? They'd be a permanent resident & as such identical to a Spanish person.
the original cobbled together , amended 2 dozen times, law merely covers obtaing residency after 24th April 2012. There is nothing in it to clarify the ongoing requirements after residency has been granted.
It was always a desperate attempt to deny the illegal immigrants & all those EU foreigners that hadn't registered as well got caught out.
I can see another can of worms being opened in a few years! :lol: Along with all the other cans we've already got open! :rofl:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mrypg9 we are managing off at lot less here in the uk and my outgoings are far greater than they would be in spain , the power of stretching every last penny comes natural to me and for that we can live quite comfortably in spain . when we spent a month there in january we budgeted 1800 for the month and in that dined out 1/2 times per week which we would not do in the uk x
medical insurance i have had two quotes upto now , 325-350 euros for the 5 of us per month and i had not factored this into my origanal budget but we still have money to spare each month . waiting for a friend to get back to me regarding self employment as she was under the impression we could pay a stamp duty to the spanish goverment like you do here. as i say i am looking into everything and untill we are 100 % sure on everything we wont be making the move until its all sorted :)

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
mrypg9 we are managing off at lot less here in the uk and my outgoings are far greater than they would be in spain , the power of stretching every last penny comes natural to me and for that we can live quite comfortably in spain . when we spent a month there in january we budgeted 1800 for the month and in that dined out 1/2 times per week which we would not do in the uk x
medical insurance i have had two quotes upto now , 325-350 euros for the 5 of us per month and i had not factored this into my origanal budget but we still have money to spare each month . waiting for a friend to get back to me regarding self employment as she was under the impression we could pay a stamp duty to the spanish goverment like you do here. as i say i am looking into everything and untill we are 100 % sure on everything we wont be making the move until its all sorted :)
As for self employment there is a new scheme where you pay just 50€ a month for a limited period. That's like NI and you pay tax on top. After that your payments go up to 250€ + a month. You can't just ' pay' though, you have to have a business and produce invoices and accounts.
If self employed you and your family can access state healthcare.
If you don't go that route, it's highly unlikely that any private insurance would cover pre-existing conditions and usually medications are charged at full price

1 - 20 of 79 Posts