Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am working in Australia on a 457 visa and I have my wife as a dependent on the same visa. Our parents are planning to visit and stay with us for around 6 or 9 months. As we are not PR holders, I understand that we cannot go with 'parent visa' category. So we are planning to apply for visa subclass 600 (category tourist).

One of our parents was recently diagnosed with CML (blood cancer) and is getting medications (oral tablets) for the same.
Doctors have advised that it is not critical and she can continue normal life with just medications.

Will this cause any issues in getting a tourist visa for 6 or 9 months?

·
Registered
24,165 Posts
Hi All,

I am working in Australia on a 457 visa and I have my wife as a dependent on the same visa. Our parents are planning to visit and stay with us for around 6 or 9 months. As we are not PR holders, I understand that we cannot go with 'parent visa' category. So we are planning to apply for visa subclass 600 (category tourist).

One of our parents was recently diagnosed with CML (blood cancer) and is getting medications (oral tablets) for the same.
Doctors have advised that it is not critical and she can continue normal life with just medications.

Will this cause any issues in getting a tourist visa for 6 or 9 months?
In my opinion they will have to provide very strong evidence of roots in India to be granted a visa longer then 3 months stay at a time

The CO will surely insist on complete medical Insurance policy for the parents which covers the pre existing Cancer disease
I doubt if any insurance company would be willing to issue a policy for a very costly country like Australia, and even if they do, the costs would be prohibitive.

In my opinion you should first see if you can get an insurance policy within reasonable costs preferably issued by An Australian insurer

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response.

Just to clarify, we are getting treatment from a doctor back in India. We wouldn't need an insurance as we do not plan to get treated in Australian hospitals. We plan to bring/arrange enough medications for their travel and stay.

We will try to be clear in our visa application (not sure how, though) on the fact that our visit is not to get medical treatment in Australia. Will it still be a problem?

But, I do understand that AUS immigration can have insurance as a pre-requisite. I will research more on 'insurance for subclass 600 with precondition illness from BUPA-like aus insurer'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking for urgent help

Thanks for your quick response.

Just to clarify, we are getting treatment from a doctor back in India. We wouldn't need an insurance as we do not plan to get treated in Australian hospitals. We plan to bring/arrange enough medications for their travel and stay.

We will try to be clear in our visa application (not sure how, though) on the fact that our visit is not to get medical treatment in Australia. Will it still be a problem?

But, I do understand that AUS immigration can have insurance as a pre-requisite. I will research more on 'insurance for subclass 600 with precondition illness from BUPA-like aus insurer'.
Hi Sunrise406,

I am in dire need of help, I am in India & my organization has offered me to move to AUS on TSS ( 457's new variant) along with my spouse and daughter.

My mother is suffering from CML and undergoing treatment which as you know is taking Glevic daily (rather's its Generic variant). Once i am in AUS i would also like my mother to visit and stay with us for longer period say 6 months.

As i understand she can only visit us on tourist (600 and not 'parent category') visa given that she is almost 70 and doesn't have private medical in India ( she is covered under Central Govt. Health Scheme).

Can you help me with your guidance as i am completely lost, and looking for urgent help.

/Karan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Karan,

We initially applied for 6 months with multiple entry. We were not granted a visa. The embassy had asked us to reduce the stay period stating that medical requirements are not satisfied when evaluated for a period of 1 year. They had evaluated the application for 1 year, because of the multiple entry option that we had chosen. We then edited our application with 6 months single entry. We were granted a visa then.

The stay period plays a major role in evaluating the medical condition of the applicant in addition to other factors like age. We also had a letter from our doctor stating that the medical condition is stable and fit for travel. I think this also helped us.

Wishing you and your family the very best!

·
Registered
24,165 Posts
Hi Karan,

We initially applied for 6 months with multiple entry. We were not granted a visa. The embassy had asked us to reduce the stay period stating that medical requirements are not satisfied when evaluated for a period of 1 year. They had evaluated the application for 1 year, because of the multiple entry option that we had chosen. We then edited our application with 6 months single entry. We were granted a visa then.

The stay period plays a major role in evaluating the medical condition of the applicant in addition to other factors like age. We also had a letter from our doctor stating that the medical condition is stable and fit for travel. I think this also helped us.

No medical insurance cover was insisted on when granting the visa ?

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for response

Hi Karan,

Hi Sunrise406,

I am Not just happy but relieved to hear about visa grant for you mother, and sincerely hope that she is with you already.

Actually immediately after posting my question I stumbled upon your post dated 25 Jan'18 (regarding 'an invitation to comment' stating that 'THE APPLICANT DOES NOT MEET THE HEALTH REQUIREMENT') & was disheartened.

Really appretiate if you can help me with following:

1.With current visa granted your mother can stay with you for max of 6 months, hypothetically when she is back in India how soon can the next application for Visa be made assuming it has to be a fresh application for 6 months single entry? As for me my mother will be alone in India and I hope to make her visit regularly.

2. As you mentioned in the post your mother will be traveling with her medication for during of stay, any permission/documents (apart from prescription and bills) required for same?

/Pankaj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No medical insurance cover was insisted on when granting the visa ?

Cheers
Hi newbienz,

No, insurance was not insisted on the visa. We took one hospital cover for our peace of mind though. I think insisting insurance in based on age (Atleast that is my understanding). Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sunrise406,

I am Not just happy but relieved to hear about visa grant for you mother, and sincerely hope that she is with you already.

Actually immediately after posting my question I stumbled upon your post dated 25 Jan'18 (regarding 'an invitation to comment' stating that 'THE APPLICANT DOES NOT MEET THE HEALTH REQUIREMENT') & was disheartened.

Really appretiate if you can help me with following:

1.With current visa granted your mother can stay with you for max of 6 months, hypothetically when she is back in India how soon can the next application for Visa be made assuming it has to be a fresh application for 6 months single entry? As for me my mother will be alone in India and I hope to make her visit regularly.

2. As you mentioned in the post your mother will be traveling with her medication for during of stay, any permission/documents (apart from prescription and bills) required for same?

/Pankaj
Hi Karan,

Yes. That was when our visa was not granted. We posted in many forums. We also did a consultation from a registered migration agent based out of Australia. Based on all inputs we reduced the stay period. 6 months multiple entry to 6 months single entry.

To answer your questions.
1. Yes. It has to be a fresh 6 month single entry application every time. I do not know if there are any limitations. In general, a tourist visa comes with a condition that does not allow stay for more than 12 months in an 18 month period. You might have to take this into consideration while applying the subsequent visas. You can also check this with the visa agent in India (VFS global)

2. One is allowed only 3 months of prescription medications when they travel. I found this in a website related to drugs/border protection. We were told to bring only 3 months supply and then get the remaining from India through post. It was also recommended to get a local Australian prescription and attach it with the post.
One other person also told us that, it would not be any problem to bring 6 months worth of supply, as this is a life saving/critical drug. But we are not sure about this.
You will need your doctor's prescription with appropriate dosage and frequence written. We also brought our receipts with us to be on the safer side. However, we were not asked to show any documents.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts