Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am currently in high school in the U.S.. I would like to go to school in France, possibly a conservatory. How important is my GPA? Will my GPA affect my college applications to French universities/conservatories? I'm not amazingly knowledgeable on the French education system, so bear with me. Basically just wondering about admission to college in France for a foreigner. Thanks.

·
Administrator
50,765 Posts
If you're talking about undergraduate work at a university, you'll need to have your first year of college in order to gain admission to a French university. Normally, in order to enter a French university you need to have successfully passed your bac (baccalaureat exams). For US candidates, they require a first year of college/university, to bring you up to the equivalent of a 13 year school system.

There may be more information available through Campus France Home > CampusFrance
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
errr, umm, what's GPA?

DejW

Hello, I am currently in high school in the U.S.. I would like to go to school in France, possibly a conservatory. How important is my GPA? Will my GPA affect my college applications to French universities/conservatories? I'm not amazingly knowledgeable on the French education system, so bear with me. Basically just wondering about admission to college in France for a foreigner. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
GPA stands for Grade Point Average, it's a number that summarizes your cumulative grades throughout your time in school.

JSWRTS, French universities will be interested in your grades/GPA, your level of French as measured by a DALF/DELF/TCF exam, and maybe a statement explaining why you're applying for a certain program. While a statement of intent isn't required for French people applying to undergrad programs at a public university, I suspect it would be for foreigners.

Extra-curricular activities, unlike in the US, don't matter.

As Bev mentioned, admission to the French university for US candidates officially requires that you complete your first year of university in the US.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the French-American Bac? Could I do that instead of attending one year of university in the U.S.? Do conservatories care about the same things as any other public university does, or are they mostly audition-based?

·
Administrator
50,765 Posts
Never heard of the "French-American" bac. There is an International Bac, but it involves a service project and other stuff that you have to have included in your high school program.

Your best bet is to consult the Campus France website and see what you can find out there. A true conservatory in France may not be considered a "university" anyhow. Best to check with the school you're interested in attending.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.