Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Can a criminal libel suit be filed against a person or entity in Dubai for defamation, when the plaintiff has a 90 days tourist visa (not resident/work visa anymore)?

PM´s are welcome.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
I am fairly sure that if the plaintiff is present in Dubai - regardless of their visa status - then they can issue proceedings or themselves be charged or sued for any relevant offence that they are alleged to have committed whilst in Dubai.
When you are in Dubai - you are subject to the laws of the land.
People have been charged for having no alcohol license whilst drunk on an Emirates flight and only in transit through Dubai!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
The plantiff is the one making the complaint, not the one being complained about.

Guess the question is really can an non-resident sue someone in Dubai.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I am fairly sure that if the plaintiff is present in Dubai - regardless of their visa status - then they can issue proceedings or themselves be charged or sued for any relevant offence that they are alleged to have committed whilst in Dubai.
When you are in Dubai - you are subject to the laws of the land.
People have been charged for having no alcohol license whilst drunk on an Emirates flight and only in transit through Dubai!
Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve, it was a very helpful reply.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plantiff is the one making the complaint, not the one being complained about.

Guess the question is really can an non-resident sue someone in Dubai.
I said "the plaintiff" is the person filing a libel suit against a person or entity in Dubai.

And my question was exactly that one. The plaintiff status as a non-resident...

I think you missunderstood the message...but thanks anyway for reading my post.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
I said "the plaintiff" is the person filing a libel suit against a person or entity in Dubai.

And my question was exactly that one. The plaintiff status as a non-resident...

I think you missunderstood the message...but thanks anyway for reading my post.
Hi,
Actually they were replying to a mistake in my post - that I subsequently corrected!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
Actually they were replying to a mistake in my post - that I subsequently corrected!
Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve for the clarification; your previous comment didn´t show up in the thread, so I though kmdxb was just replying directly to my question. Thank you both.

As per the fees, are there any Court fees the plaintiff has to pay for filing a complaint in the cassation court in Dubai? any deposit as well as the fees? Ot is it a free service for defamation cases? What happens if the plaintiff loses? Does he have to pay any amount for the costs?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts