Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
I know people try hard for these visas but what transpires later?

Once you get the visa,
1) Is there a period by which you should land in there with you entire family should be in Australia failing which the visa expires? if there is then just to go there with your family and come back will cost you in lakhs of INR?:confused:

2) Like me, many of them will be having jobs already, what do you do in such cases?..Resign from the job, go there, search for a new one after reaching there :confused:

Looking for some gyaan

thanks
sandeepraj

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Sandeepraj,

The visa is valid for 5 yrs from the grant date. Yes, you will need to visit Australia to validate your visas. People on this forum stated it is about 1 yr from when you submit your medicals. Subtract some amount from when you are actually granted the visa. So it will likely be less than a yr. For me I had to validate my visa within 9 months of getting approved.

You don't necessarily have to already move to Australia when you validate your visa. But it probably is a good time for you to start networking with recruiters to get interviews upon your arrival. Maybe stay at least 2 weeks since companies do prefer that you are already in Australia. However, if you read posts from this forum, people have gotten job offers when they are overseas.

Since your visa expires 5 yrs from the grant date, you must enter Australia before your PR visa expires. It does not matter while you are in Australia that this visa expires. The only problem that you will find is when you leave Australia, you will need to have a valid Australian passport to enter back to Australia. You can apply for a 5 yr resident return visa (RRV). There are other shorter RRVs available. All information can be found in immi.gov.au In order to qualify for the 5 yr RRV, you must have 2 yrs in total of the 5 yrs residency in Australia. Plus, ties to Australia such as a job,etc. My suggestion would be to at least move to Australia just before 2 yrs so that you can apply for 5 yr RRV so that you may leave and enter Australia multiple times until the validity of that 5 yr RRV.

As for quitting your current job. It's up to you. People have different circumstances. They say you should at least have 6 months in savings if you plan to move to Australia permanently because finding a job can take someone longer compared to others. If you have no savings and have financial obligations that requires you to continue working until you find a job in Australia, do not quit your job yet. Unless of course, it's easy to get a job back in your country? I know here in the US, quitting a job with no job to replace it can be dangerous. Especially with many people still unemployed even though they have the skills and education.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to jump in between, but that was a fantastic explanation jb12. You have my thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You are welcome Jivesha.

I do see that I typed that an Australia passport is required to come back to Australia. This is true. But only Australian citizens would have that passport. Permanent residents would only have a visa label on their current country passport. I wanted to correct this to not confuse people.

·
Registered
256 Posts
But you get citizenship after staying for 4 years continuously. Right?

-Melbourne

·
Registered
351 Posts
A PR resident can apply for citizenship once they meet the residency requirements. I haven't looked at the number of years requirement to confirm. But if that is what you have seen in DIAC's website, then that is the requirement.

My comments above are for visa PR visa holders and to make sure they enter Australia before their visa expires. To get an RRV, there are certain residency requirements. But in some circumstances, they might get approved without necessarily meeting the residency requirements if they can provide evidence of those reasons. It's all up to DIAC to approve or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all of you especially jb12. I am still in the process of applying for the visa..these questions just came to haunt me and hence i asked.
So just to validate your visa, i should be there with my entire family(since my wife and my 2 month old childs name would be on the visa as well) for a week and i would need to factor in all the costs related to this as well. If i dont get a job in those 1-2 weeks, i will have go back and keep hoping for networking?..Do jobs come after you if you apply online sitting here in india?
I knwo i am talking 1 year in the future but just to get prepared.

thanks
sandeepraj

·
Registered
351 Posts
The answer to your question is yes. You will be contacted if the person viewing your resume feels that your skills and experience match the specific job posting. You can register your resume in some of the popular Australian online job websites. Maybe a month or less before you plan to travel to validate your visas, start searching the online job websites and apply for jobs that you would qualify for. Some of those have the email address of the HR rep to ask for more questions. State you have a PR visa 175 and state this on your resume too and that you plan to visit Australia on this specific time frame. Would it be possible to meet with them to assist in your job search.

You may or may not receive a response and it's all dependent if that HR rep is able to assist you. Some of them would likely know if your skills and work experience fit with the companies that they represent. The one job posting I applied for, I didn't receive any response. However, I was contacted regarding a position that I didn't apply for but they felt I would be a good fit. However, before I could agree to have my resume forwarded to the company, I inquired what the salary was. I had to decline because it was lower than the salary I was looking for. I didn't want to waste the company's time or mine if the salary didn't meet my requirement.

I haven't really applied for anything else since I need to resolve some financial obligations before I can leave (selling of house,etc). The reason is because once you apply and you get contacted, one of the things they ask is, when do you plan to move to Australia? I think if it isn't within a month or two, I'm not sure a company would wait any longer. Unless of course they couldn't find anyone that fulfilled the requirements and they really like you. They might consider to wait.

For you, after you are able to meet with different HR reps, keep in touch with them when you return back to your country. You have to be proactive in applying for jobs, etc.

A popular professional networking available is linkedin.com They also have job postings in there that might not be available in the other online job websites.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for your detailed reply Jb12. I too had the same questions in mind as Sandeepraj. Glad I got the answers from you. But, do you say that the entire family would have to travel together to validate the visas? I heard someone say in this Forum that it would suffice if the primary applicant validated first. Also, during a job hunt wouldn't it be wiser to travel alone than bring along the entire family?

·
Registered
351 Posts
There are different scenarios to how you want to validate your visa. But if a person does not have enough savings to stay in Australia for say a month to look for a job, I would assume that it is best that the whole family be there to validate the visa at the same time. However, if the visa holder has enough savings/funds for say 6 months or so, then it could be possible this person can find a job. Then the rest of the family can come to validate the visa before that initial date.

If the visa holder goes for only a month and is not successful in finding a job. That person is likely have to go back home. Now, the rest of the family will have to go on their own to Australia to validate their visas. In Sandeepraj's case, he will have to send his wife and child on their own unless he goes back with them too. Additional cost for the airfare.

There is no wrong or right how you want to approach the situation in validating the visa. Each person has to validate their own visa and is not dependent if one has validated the visa. Follow the path that would work for you and your family in regards how to validate the visa. Usually the finances will dictate the decision.

After the visa has been validated. The main applicant with the skill can go to Australia on their own to do what they need to do to find the job if they have the funds to do it. Most people have their families stay with other family members in their home country to help with some expenses. The other family members just need to make sure to come to Australia before their visa expires. Otherwise, the family will have to submit evidence explaining why they did not move to Australia before the visa expired. Whatever the explanation will have to be approved by the DIAC.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm more relieved to learn that there its no requirement by law that all members of the family need to validate together.
Thank you very much for illustrating with examples, Jb12.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your detailed reply Jb12. I too had the same questions in mind as Sandeepraj. Glad I got the answers from you. But, do you say that the entire family would have to travel together to validate the visas? I heard someone say in this Forum that it would suffice if the primary applicant validated first. Also, during a job hunt wouldn't it be wiser to travel alone than bring along the entire family?
Valid Point...Cant the primary applicant's visit suffice?

thanks
sandeepraj singh

·
Registered
351 Posts
Valid Point...Cant the primary applicant's visit suffice?

thanks
sandeepraj singh
No. It doesn't work like that. Each one of would be assigned your individual Australian visa ID number. Just like all of you would have a different passport number on your current country passport.

If you are granted the PR visa, you will receive a letter stating this. Depending how far you reside from an Australian embassy, you can take your passports to get visa labels attached to your country passports. Each of you will receive your own individual visa label. It will have information indicating your required entry date to Australia and expiration of the visa. If you don't live close to an Australian embassy in your country, you may try to find where it is located in your country. Visit their official website and see what you need to do to get a visa label on your passport. That usually requires you to send in your passports, fee, etc. to the Australian consulate. It is recommended to use a courier so you can track the package.

You don't necessarily have to get a visa label before you enter Australia when you validate your visa because you and your family would already be in the system electronically. But it is recommended to bring a copy of your grant letter in case there are any issues in the computer.

What I was stating above is that, it is up to each individual or family to decide if they go together or on separate occasions to validate the visas. Just because you were the main applicant doesn't mean your activation activates the rest of your family.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hello,
Then in that case,
1- wouldnt it be wiser to not include my child in the application?. Me and my wife could go there and then later on have my child come on a tourist visa and at the same time, get the child added later for the visa?..
Or
2-would it be better to infact even remove my wife from the application, and i should simply apply all by myself..go through all the expenses of visa validation and get a job and then finally request for my wife's name to be added?
3-If family could come later to validate, then how is the procedure, i mean, they can come and leave on the same day or they have to show that they stayed for some days in australia
I am just trying to think of ways to reduce that validation cost..which seems so unwanted..
thanks
sandeepraj

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hello,
Then in that case,
1- wouldnt it be wiser to not include my child in the application?. Me and my wife could go there and then later on have my child come on a tourist visa and at the same time, get the child added later for the visa?..
Or
2-would it be better to infact even remove my wife from the application, and i should simply apply all by myself..go through all the expenses of visa validation and get a job and then finally request for my wife's name to be added? Is that a possibility?..through spouse visa...will that work better???
3-If family could come later to validate, then how is the procedure, i mean, they can come and leave on the same day or they have to show that they stayed for some days in australia. Staying alone for a month alone and tyring to find a job would mean that i can reduce the initial expenses. Later on, my family can come over only for a day, sit at the airport and leave on the same day back to india. what say?
4- What if my family doesnot validate their visas and i do. calling them later wouldnt work?..there might be cases where health issues suddenly dont permit everyone to make a visit?...theres got to be an alternative..
5- What according to you are the things to do in the first validation trip?..apart from ofcourse searching for a job.

I am just trying to think of ways to reduce that validation cost..which seems so unwanted..
thanks
sandeepraj

·
Registered
351 Posts
From your questions, it sounds like you are not ready to have your family join you due to additional expenses?

I believe for majority of visas, you must validate the visa by entering Australia by a certain date whether you have plans to immediately move or go back to your home country if the visa allows you.

Probably the best scenario for you is to apply for the visa 175 on your own. Do not include your wife and child. You will have to further research what visa they need to apply for and how long that would take once you are able to secure a job and settle in Australia.

If your wife and child were included with your visa 175 visa and they did not validate their visa before that date, then they will lose their PR visa. They would not even be qualified for the 3 month RRV because they did not even come to Australia to stay at least a day. Check immi.gov.au for more information about the different RRV.

You asked a question about your wife and child coming to Australia. Are you willing to pay two round trip airline tickets for them to just stay at the airport and then return back? They at least would have to stay overnight due to the date. They can't have an arrival and departure date on the same day. I don't know about many people, but I wouldn't purchase an airline ticket that is at least maybe thousands of dollars to come and just stay at the airport or overnight. I would stay at least a week. I realize that staying a week at a hotel is additional costs. But what is an additional $500 or so (costs could be less depending where they would stay) if your wife can see where she will eventually be moving to? However, I guess it depends if your wife will be able to handle having a small baby/child with her while traveling alone in a different country.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. its not that i dont want my wife and child to be along with me. I am just trying to work out various scenarios. I will conduct search on what visa will they need in case they dont join me on this visa application. I heard something like spouse and children visa is present which can help us..but am not sure...
Also, in my application, there needs to be a justification as to why my wife and child cant come right now since i am showing myself as married...hence...my confusion...

·
Registered
328 Posts
As far as I know the cost involved, either it is for one person or for the entire family, its the same. You might as well include them in your application.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.