Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright so I posted here a bit ago, but my story is I lived in the UK for over a year, from Feb 2016 to April 2017 on a tier 5 YMS visa issued to me for two years. I had to come back to Canada for just over 3 months due to personal issues and family commitments.

I plan to re-enter the UK near the end of July, but I haven't yet bought a ticket because I'm not sure if I need a return, or a one-way will suffice.

My Tier 5 YMS visa is valid until mid-February, 2018. When I go back to the UK, I'll have 6 months and three-ish weeks left on my visa, so not quite 6 months, but barely over it.

I've heard that for "short stays" you need to purchase a return ticket. I will be re-entering the UK on a still-valid Tier 5 YMS visa, so does this same rule apply here too, or can I go ahead and purchase a one-way or a flexible ticket?

I'm not entirely sure if I will stay in the UK for the rest of the 6 months valid on my visa, I might leave sooner. I'll make concrete plans I guess if I have to buy a return.

Thank you for any and all help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Joppa thank you!

One more quick question for you or anyone else -
The first time I entered the UK (on the entry clearance stamp, before I picked up the BRP), I had to bring some documents with me in case the border officer asked to see them. Documents like a bank letter saying I have funds, a hotel reservation etc.

Do I need to bring any documentation with me this time, or is showing them my passport and BRP enough? I do have a lease on a flat still in my name in the country so I could get a copy of that if I need to. I can easily get a bank statement as well.

Thank you for any and all help!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,

I am currently on the YMS Visa and I have left and re-entered the UK 3 times already and I am about to do it a fourth time! You just present your passport and BRP and then they take your fingerprints to match them. Then they let you through. No questions asked.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey one more question!

I bought a ticket - a return from 15th July to 15th September.

What do I write on my landing card when I go into the country?

I might stay the 2 months, but I might stay longer (confirmed with the airline that this is possible to change tickets easily), or shorter than that! I bought a return because it was something like $600 cheaper than a flexi-ticket or a one-way.. but I might stay longer or shorter so I'm not sure what to do.

Will they even check my flight information?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Landing card

Hey one more question!

I bought a ticket - a return from 15th July to 15th September.

What do I write on my landing card when I go into the country?

I might stay the 2 months, but I might stay longer (confirmed with the airline that this is possible to change tickets easily), or shorter than that! I bought a return because it was something like $600 cheaper than a flexi-ticket or a one-way.. but I might stay longer or shorter so I'm not sure what to do.

Will they even check my flight information?
Hey again,

On your landing card under how long you're staying you can just write Youth Mobility Scheme. I don't think it matters really because they will just want to look at your BRP anyway. They have never asked me if I had a flight booked to leave the UK and I never have one booked to leave as my flgihts have always been Roundtrip home and back to the UK. You are already permitted to live in the UK for the whole two years so the only thing you would have to say if asked is yes you intend to leave at the end.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK Joppa thank you!

What do I do if I plan to stay longer? If I stay shorter I know that's not an issue but if I need to extend my stay is there any way to contact somebody to let them know?

I'll still be well within the terms of my visa.

EDIT:
Oh my gosh Canadianandabrit you are so helpful! :)
Sorry for asking so many questions; I'm just super anxious about travel LOL and I like to know all I can.

Thank you so much, you answered all m questions perfectly!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey that's okay, I totally understand! I was the same. They don't need to know if you decide to change your flight date so there's no need to contact them. Literally all they care about is that you don't overstay :D have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.