Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel silly and a bit uncomfortable asking, but one of my dear friends -- a female black American age 65 -- has become very interested in my retirement-in-Mexico plans. I really have no idea how black persons are perceived in Mexico, and therefore no idea how to advise her on what to expect in terms of social treatment, should she decide to investigate it seriously.

Any advice or relevant anecdotes from anyone?

I hope this topic is appropriate to the forum.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I feel silly and a bit uncomfortable to ask, but one of my dear friends -- a female black American age 65 -- has become very interested in my retirement-in-Mexico plans. I really have no idea how black persons are perceived in Mexico, and therefore no idea how to advise her on what to expect in terms of social treatment, should she decide to investigate it seriously.

First of all remember that most Mexicans are 'mixed' meaning that they can trace their families back in many directions. You will find Black, Spanish, Indian and White all mixed together on one family tree. I mention only those 4 because if I tried to list them all we'd be here for hours. A very mixed community. And a wonderful mix it is too.

As far as Blacks and other Nationalities being together, it's so common that most don't even realize it's happing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all remember that most Mexicans are 'mixed' meaning that they can trace their families back in many directions. You will find Black, Spanish, Indian and White all mixed together on one family tree. I mention only those 4 because if I tried to list them all we'd be here for hours. A very mixed community. And a wonderful mix it is too.

As far as Blacks and other Nationalities being together, it's so common that most don't even realize it's happing.
Lol...

yes, I'm aware that in colonial times the Spanish had the "art" of racial classification down to 1/8ths and 1/16ths of "blood."

My question is directed at whether there currently exists in Mexico the kind of inter-racial suspicion/tension between blacks and non-blacks that "colors" U.S. culture and society?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've actually had this discussion with a number of Mexican friends. We live in a very small town but there is a clear bias and they admit that there is no reason other than a real lack of contact. When I lived in San Miguel which is much larger and more cosmopolitan, there was a very different attitude and much more inclusive acceptance.
I suspect that as with many small towns anywhere, there is at least an initial distrust and bias against any new person that is different.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
conklinwh;791892 I suspect that as with many small towns anywhere said:
And that's important to remember -- thank you Mr. Conklin! No matter where you go, if you aren't known, you are a Stranger. We've all seen the movie...:alien:

But once they get used to you, can they imagine life BEFORE you?

If only...!

·
Registered
57 Posts
And that's important to remember -- thank you Mr. Conklin! No matter where you go, if you aren't known, you are a Stranger. We've all seen the movie...:alien:

But once they get used to you, can they imagine life BEFORE you?

If only...!
From what I have seen it is more racial against indians than any one else. North and south.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
In general in Mexico, people with whiter complexions, whether they are Mexican or foreigners, are usually considered to be more attractive and can sometimes benefit from this perception. Whether this can be considered "racism" as it exists in the US is a good topic for debate.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I feel silly and a bit uncomfortable asking, but one of my dear friends -- a female black American age 65 -- has become very interested in my retirement-in-Mexico plans. I really have no idea how black persons are perceived in Mexico, and therefore no idea how to advise her on what to expect in terms of social treatment, should she decide to investigate it seriously.

I have seen racism in person during my 5 years living in Mexico. It has haapened to me on several occasions. I have been "learning" the Mexican culture for 14 years, first by employing over 100 Mexican nationals in the US (I helped them to obtain H2B work visas) and then by traveling and living in Mexico. GENERALLY speaking I have been exposed to more racial baises through the 14 years with this group than the people I grew up with in Dallas Texas. While visiting Mexico a couple of years ago, my girlfriend at the time, black American, and I received such biases. I alone have had a few Mexican men tell me how they hate gringos. When I respond to them in Spanish, I virtually do not have an accent, they seem to think I am a countryman of theirs and the situations were defused.
These examples are not common occurances, but I never experienced racism pointed towards me ever in my life until living in Mexico and they bewilder me. I do not believe the color of your skin makes you any different than anyone else. Societal differences (biases learned through racism), ignorance, hatred and a lack of education affect people in the ugliest ways.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In general in Mexico, people with whiter complexions, whether they are Mexican or foreigners, are usually considered to be more attractive and can sometimes benefit from this perception. Whether this can be considered "racism" as it exists in the US is a good topic for debate.
Really? "White people" are pale and hairy. Mexicans think that is attractive?

Why, then, do we work on our tans?

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Really? "White people" are pale and hairy. Mexicans think that is attractive?

Why, then, do we work on our tans?
I have been told by some Mexican men I've dated that they are much more attracted to "mujeres blancas" than to "morenas". Not sure about the hairy part though ;) .

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I have been told by some Mexican men I've dated that they are much more attracted to "mujeres blancas" than to "morenas". Not sure about the hairy part though ;) .
That is why they were attracted to you. Many are attracted to morenas and many to large or skinny women as well. Tall or short, smart or clueless, independent or subservient, religious or not, etc. women or a combination of characteristics and looks. It all depends on chemistry and life's experience up until that time.

Blanket statements don't work. Generalizations are just that.

It seems there are a few general ideas that make a stereotypical status quo but from one generation to the next they change and from one social class to the other they are different to begin with. The old Mexican movies are slowly wearing the status quo from the past down and soap operas are implanting new ones as has Mexican entertainment TV with a stereotype of scantly dressed girls all over the place and sexy weather girls. Years ago the main public TV figures were mostly white skinned and recently that has changed to include other skin tones. Marketing and profit benefit whoever is selling whatever. With many more people buying more than basic items now there is a changing characterization that some consumers can identify with when making a discussion to purchase.

I like being in the country during a fast sift in priorities that affects more and more people. Some for the better and convenience of everyday living and some for the worst were older values worked better for many.

It is never boring to be here and much more dynamic that NOB with it's franchise generic scenery on most blvd.s in major cities now. Here this is mainly kept to the areas of newer development and the rest remains old style buildings and housing. Even the graffiti painted roll down steel doors everywhere at night are not a distraction because when they are open I see nice entrances and interesting shops and think of them when passing by at night instead, at times.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That is why they were attracted to you.... see nice entrances and interesting shops and think of them when passing by at night instead, at times.
:tongue1: C'mon Alan, Isla is probably a real babe, baba-alicious, the picture of babe-atude - but I digress!

The homogenization of the USA is one of the reason we could not find a place to retire here. No matter where you go, it is the same. Mexico arouses your senses, sights, sounds, smells it is vibrant and alive a different. That is all part of the adventure. If I wanted the same-o same-o I could move to Miami, Phoenix, Boise, well anywhere in the US and find the same thing.

Viva la difference!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
:tongue1: C'mon Alan, Isla is probably a real babe, baba-alicious, the picture of babe-atude - but I digress!

The homogenization of the USA is one of the reason we could not find a place to retire here. No matter where you go, it is the same. Mexico arouses your senses, sights, sounds, smells it is vibrant and alive a different. That is all part of the adventure. If I wanted the same-o same-o I could move to Miami, Phoenix, Boise, well anywhere in the US and find the same thing.

Viva la difference!
I really like traveling here. In early July we are going on a private coach tour with friends [dance classmates] that my wife's dance instructor arranged of Yucatan and passing through Veracruz City on the way back, 11 stops in 14 days. Yes I know who goes to Yucatan in July. LOL We do to get the bargain priced ocean front hotels cheap. I'll suffer going around the ruins etc, hotel in Merida has a pool in El Centro, and hopefully hit the pool after. $14,000 pesos, any takers? Nice people. 40 seats, most taken by now. Includes all passes and entrance to the architectural historic sites and a breakfast buffet at all the hotels.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I really like traveling here. In early July we are going on a private coach tour with friends [dance classmates] that my wife's dance instructor arranged of Yucatan and passing through Veracruz City on the way back, 11 stops in 14 days. Yes I know who goes to Yucatan in July. LOL We do to get the bargain priced ocean front hotels cheap. I'll suffer going around the ruins etc, hotel in Merida has a pool in El Centro, and hopefully hit the pool after. $14,000 pesos, any takers? Nice people. 40 seats, most taken by now. Includes all passes and entrance to the architectural historic sites and a breakfast buffet at all the hotels.
If this was next year, you'd count us in - keep us informed and have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
If this was next year, you'd count us in - keep us informed and have a lot of fun!
Thanks.

I also like getting a bargain and Mexico is full of them all the time. He arranges 2 trips per year, 6 months apart. Last trip was to Chiapas [$11,500 pesos] We didn't go. The one last summer was to Chihuahua etc. and the Copper Canyon. The next will be to ?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
FHBOY, do you have any idea of horribly hot and humid the Yucatan is in July?
Yes and being from Mexicali I only dare the heat to scare me. The coach is air conditioned. Sweating is one of my favorite things to do. LOL It makes me feel SO manly. Most times the beach front hotels' pool will be my squatting grounds. Give me a 1 liter Coke Light per 2 hours and I am good to go to see some ruins. [maybe].

Wanta come? We pass through DF on the 13th.

July 13 to July 27
Yucatan Peninsula and Veracruz
Palenque [Mayan Ruins]
Chetumal
Laguna de Bacalar
Playa del Carmen
Tulum
Cozumel
Cancun
Isla Mujeres
Xcaret
Xel-Ha
Merida
Chichen Itza
Cenotes
Campeche
Villa Hermosa
Veracruz

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have seen racism in person during my 5 years living in Mexico. It has haapened to me on several occasions. I have been "learning" the Mexican culture for 14 years, first by employing over 100 Mexican nationals in the US (I helped them to obtain H2B work visas) and then by traveling and living in Mexico. GENERALLY speaking I have been exposed to more racial baises through the 14 years with this group than the people I grew up with in Dallas Texas. While visiting Mexico a couple of years ago, my girlfriend at the time, black American, and I received such biases. I alone have had a few Mexican men tell me how they hate gringos. When I respond to them in Spanish, I virtually do not have an accent, they seem to think I am a countryman of theirs and the situations were defused.
These examples are not common occurances, but I never experienced racism pointed towards me ever in my life until living in Mexico and they bewilder me. I do not believe the color of your skin makes you any different than anyone else. Societal differences (biases learned through racism), ignorance, hatred and a lack of education affect people in the ugliest ways.
I too have a black boyfriend we are in our 60's and planning to have long, long stays in Chapala. I have been there and love it he has not. I am Latina however I am European looking but am aware of the 'bias' or preference of being 'light skinned'. On the other hand in my own family & community that kind of behavior is frowned on.
RBP are you black? I am surprised to hear you had those experiences mostly because Latinos would generally keep those thoughts to themself. How was the racism expressed?
I wonder because I do not want my boyfriend to have to deal with that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Yes and being from Mexicali I only dare the heat to scare me. The coach is air conditioned. Sweating is one of my favorite things to do. LOL It makes me feel SO manly. Most times the beach front hotels' pool will be my squatting grounds. Give me a 1 liter Coke Light per 2 hours and I am good to go to see some ruins. [maybe].

Wanta come? We pass through DF on the 13th.

July 13 to July 27
Yucatan Peninsula and Veracruz
Palenque [Mayan Ruins]
Chetumal
Laguna de Bacalar
Playa del Carmen
Tulum
Cozumel
Cancun
Isla Mujeres
Xcaret
Xel-Ha
Merida
Chichen Itza
Cenotes
Campeche
Villa Hermosa
Veracruz
It sounds like a wonderful trip, but not in July. (I hope that the itinerary also includes a visit to the ruins at Uxmal, much more interesting and evocative than the ones at Chichén Itzá.) The only time I've been to the Yucatan was in January, when the mornings and evenings were delightful, and I spent the afternoons taking a nice long siesta in my air-conditioned hotel room. One of the many reasons I like living in Mexico City is the almost uniformly warm, dry weather, even during this, the hottest time of the year, a few weeks before the rainy season begins.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy all that Coke Light you'll be drinking!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a black boyfriend we are in our 60's and planning to have long, long stays in Chapala. I have been there and love it he has not. I am Latina however I am European looking but am aware of the 'bias' or preference of being 'light skinned'. On the other hand in my own family & community that kind of behavior is frowned on.
RBP are you black? I am surprised to hear you had those experiences mostly because Latinos would generally keep those thoughts to themself. How was the racism expressed?
I wonder because I do not want my boyfriend to have to deal with that stuff.
I am curious to see some replies to this question, as I am a white female in a relationship with an African-American male (we are in our 20s) and we are planning to move to Mexico this summer.

P.S. I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and I appreciate all the info and perspectives that everyone brings! :)

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.