Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had to take 10 days of antibiotics and when I went to buy the antibiotics the pharmacist recommended I take this Probiolog Fort at the same time, which I did. My ten days have ended. Should I continue taking the Probiolog another week just to re-supply my system well with the needed good bacteria or should I stop the Probiolog once I stop the antibiotics?

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Hi,

I had to take 10 days of antibiotics and when I went to buy the antibiotics the pharmacist recommended I take this Probiolog Fort at the same time, which I did. My ten days have ended. Should I continue taking the Probiolog another week just to re-supply my system well with the needed good bacteria or should I stop the Probiolog once I stop the antibiotics?
Well, the Antibiotics should have killed any bad bugs, but also the Probiotic ones!

So you should take probiotics to help re-establish the good gut flora as soon as the antibiotics stop - I wouldn't have thought they be much good before then!

So yes, to get the best effect, I'd take them for another week. :)

cheers
kaju

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well, the Antibiotics should have killed any bad bugs, but also the Probiotic ones!

So you should take probiotics to help re-establish the good gut flora as soon as the antibiotics stop - I wouldn't have thought they be much good before then!

So yes, to get the best effect, I'd take them for another week. :)

cheers
kaju
Sorry but I disagree, the probiotics are designed to pass through the stomach and are absorbed through the intestines and colon and are usually prescribed to be taken simultaneously with antibiotics.

No ham though in continuing to take them until you run out, on the contrary they should help your digestive system get back to normal.

If you wish to be perfectly reassured, see the pharmacist and ask his advice - always a good idea if you have the slightest doubt about your medication or health generally.

PROBIOLOG®, PROBIOLOG® FORT complément alimentaire en gastro-entérologie - EurekaSante.fr par VIDAL

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I would always continue taking probiotics for a while after finishing antibiotics, or regularly consume a good live yogurt.

I would also keep probiotics in the fridge, although this is apparently not necessary with more recent products.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm very skeptical about the whole 'probiotic' thing, but my recommendation if you take this seriously is just to have some yoghurt. 'Cos it tastes good, and is somehow associated with the 'gut bacteria' thingo.

This long article is a good read on the subject, although some people will be repelled by the title, which includes the phrase 'science based'.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I wasn't suggesting taking probiotics on a continuous basis. My preference in any case is yoghurt, and I do generally consume that everyday, I suffered from IBS for many years, but have had no issues since regularly consuming yoghurt, but I'm not suggesting there is a link. In any case, the OP's question relates to his/her course of antibiotics. I agree with the article that generally the organisms in probiotics are dead (so IMHO not necessarily useful, but neither are they likely to be harmful).

Oh, and I'm not overly confident in articles that appear in the Wall Street Journal either :D

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well maybe Mark Crislip (who is he???) and the Wall Street Journal are correct and the French doctors and pharmacists wrong, maybe it's the other way round, possibly they are all partially right and partially wrong....

My humble belief is that if you think it is doing you good because you have been told it will do do you good or you feel that it is doing you good, then it WILL do you good.

The placebo effect, I think we will all agree about this, is very powerful, and extremely useful. :confused2:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Indeed, placebos are very useful. They should sometimes be allowed to prescribe them.

Hands up those who read the article too quickly, or only skimmed it? In the first paragraph, Mark Crislip, the blogger on 'Science-Based Medicine' refers to an article in the Wall Street Journal. Then he proceeds to tear it apart. Then he explains why. Then he goes into gut bacteria and other interesting stuff.

It's a wonder he didn't get to fæcal transplants, although one commenter mentioned same.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Frankly, if you bought the probiotics based on the pharmacist's recommendation, I would ask the pharmacist how to take them and whether to continue after your course of antibiotics runs out.

I've found the pharmacists here are very good about knowing all their products and being able to explain just how and why they should be used.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts