Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here and I've gotten some great information, so thanks for all of that. :)

I am from the usa and my husband and I have been discussing relocating to australia. I am educated as and currently employed as a physical therapy assistant, and I can't tell from the points system or from googling if there is a similar position in australia, or if I would have to go back to school to become a physiotherapist. If anyone on here knows if there is something like that, it would be fabulous. Also, from what I understand, if I did have to go back to school, it would be better to do so in australia, rather than here, correct? Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling... :)

Ericka

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here and I've gotten some great information, so thanks for all of that. :)

I am from the usa and my husband and I have been discussing relocating to australia. I am educated as and currently employed as a physical therapy assistant, and I can't tell from the points system or from googling if there is a similar position in australia, or if I would have to go back to school to become a physiotherapist. If anyone on here knows if there is something like that, it would be fabulous. Also, from what I understand, if I did have to go back to school, it would be better to do so in australia, rather than here, correct? Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling... :)

Ericka
Hi Ericka,

Welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately it looks like Physical Therapy Assistant is not on the SOL list, and therefore you wouldn't be able to migrate on the 175 General Skilled Migration Visa. You would have to go back to school and become a Physiotherapist. Now whether you do that here in the US or in AU, that is something you will n eed to research more. The fees for international students can be rather high, around $20k AUD per year. Not sure how this compares to US prices.

You may also want to check with the Australia Physiotherapy Council, regarding requirement for people who obtain their qualification overseas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts