Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts,

I have a us citizen brother who has turned 21* years old. my questions :
1- Can he file a petition for my parents?
2- Can he file a petition for me (I'm married and have 2 kids. My age is 34.)
3- Can I have an attorney to help me with the application process from the US?

Note that my US brother born in the US in 1996 when my parents visited the country for medical treatment, unfortunately my brother stayed outside the US since 1994, so he doesn't have any properties there or income or residency so far. He is currently studying for his bachelor degree in Jordan country.

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
If your brother has a US passport then (without knowing anything else about him) he can, in theory, petition for your parents and you and your family.

While your parents' petition might take up to a year to process, yours will take 12 to 15 years as there is a backlog.

As your brother is in college, has no income and lives in Jordan he would need to find a joint sponsor (in the US) to sponsor the parents and yourselves, as there are financial requirements to fulfill

Read the following websites carefully to see how to qualify:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...ulletin/2017/visa-bulletin-for-july-2017.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your reply. appreciate it.
it seems we have to wait until my brother finds a job in US to get accepted. or is there any way to find joint sponsors?

also, is it necessary to submit i130 application in the USA embassy in Jordan or can it be mailed to Chicago Dropbox address?

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Without being a resident in the sense of residing in the US this is not likely to work.
A US citizen does not need to reside in the US in order to petition for a relative.

Plenty of US citizens live abroad but can file the I-130 as long as they have a joint sponsor in the US to make up the financial requirements if needed. (we have US citizens on this forum who live in the UK and are sponsoring their husbands/wives/families.)
I will agree, that this particular situation, (with a non income student living in Jordan) is extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
thanks for your reply. appreciate it.
it seems we have to wait until my brother finds a job in US to get accepted. or is there any way to find joint sponsors?

also, is it necessary to submit i130 application in the USA embassy in Jordan or can it be mailed to Chicago Dropbox address?
You need to find out if the USA Embassy in Jordan accepts petitions. If not then you file with the Chicago lock box.

How to find a joint sponsor? Usually only close relatives or friends are prepared to do this as there are financial responsibilities.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
A US citizen does not need to reside in the US in order to petition for a relative.

Plenty of US citizens live abroad but can file the I-130 as long as they have a joint sponsor in the US to make up the financial requirements if needed. (we have US citizens on this forum who live in the UK and are sponsoring their husbands/wives/families.)
I will agree, that this particular situation, (with a non income student living in Jordan) is extremely unlikely.
Those are in the process of moving to the US and establishing residence not anchor babies moving the family.
Pool finances, send junior to the US, pool,money again to self sponsor parents, brother/spouse/kids will,be on the sidelines for a couple of years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts