Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, in order to satisfy the residency requirement to apply for citizenship you need to stay lawfully in Australia for at least 3 years in the past 4 years....

well, if you satisfy this condition but during the year you lived outside Australia you didn't hold an Australian visa..... are you still be able to apply?

A detailed example..
A person on student visa for 3 years...
After visa expiry left Australia for 6 months then get back as a PR...
Does he only wait for one year to satisfy the residency requirements for citizenship?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the citizenship calculator on the immigration website
Great.. "Shel" is around here.. how lucky I'm to get a reply from you :)

Actually I have already used the calculator... But it doesn't ask if I was holding an Australian visa during the periods I have been away from Australia!! Got the point?!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, in your case there shouldn't be an issue. As you were not outside Australia for more than one year. Your study period will be taken into account as well.

·
Registered
965 Posts
you dont need to hold any valid visa for the period you were outside the country

G

·
you dont need to hold any valid visa for the period you were outside the country
Exactly why they dont ask. You just need to be lawfully resident when you were in the country and meet the requirements for time spent out of the country.

You could use a succession of tourist visas then 1 year as PR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts