Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am wondering about marriage, as it has become a potential subject for me recently. My boyfriend is in Canada but coming to the UK to be with me this summer on his Canadian passport. He has a ticket booked to go home in late Sept. Can he marry me while he is here?
Or would he have to go back to Canada and do the UK Visa for it? Is it the fiance visa? Just unsure how this all works...or is it better for him to apply for ancestry visa, come back and marry me anyway?
Just looking for the easiest, most cost effective way to have him stay with me in the UK permanently and be married and settle down together.
My income is over 22,000 a year based on maintenance from my ex in Canada, working part time, working tax credit, child tax credit, housing benefit, carers allowance, dla for my oldest son, child benefit...is that ok for immigration that my income is made up to be over the 18,600 by those sources of income?
Cheers

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
He needs either fiancé visa (for staying on post wedding) or marriage visit visa. He cannot marry as a general visitor.
Usually he gets fiancé visa, gets wed and applies for leave to remain as spouse. Not the cheapest option for him, however. If he qualifies for ancestry visa, he can come over on it, gets married and switches for spouse leave. This will save around £500.
In order to sponsor him, you need to meet either the financial requirement or maintenance requirement (because you get carer's allowance). You need £199.20 net left each week after paying for rent or mortgage and council tax (but nothing else like food, clothes, transport etc). For maintenance requirement, you can count all your income including benefits and allowances.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi but ancestry needs a high amount of support funds in the bank, he has already moved his money with mine into my uk account. Does fiance visa require support funds? And ancestry would be a high Nhs fee but less for fiance?

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
About £3,000 for ancestry. No support funds for fiancé visa, provided you can meet the requirement, as you seem to do. he will get the excess IHS fee refunded when switching to spouse leave. Or marry in Canada and get souse visa there, though add the cost of your airfare.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi again. So can you direct me to the website he should go to and exactly where and how to apply for the fiance visa once he gets back to Calgary in Canada?
If we go in person...which I think would be Edmonton? And we only have a few days in Canada, can they process it in a day or so? Or can you not go in person?
Having trouble finding the info online or even where to start.
Hope you can help....
Aiming to get married in Scotland in Nov or Dec.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Canadian settlement visas are processed in Sheffield. You submit biometrics and your application and supporting documents in Canada and then everything is forwarded to the UK for processing and is returned to the applicant in Canada after processing. You do have the option for priority processing which puts your application ahead of non-priority applications but it does not guarantee that your application will be processed in a specific amount of time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so can we apply inside the uk for it at all or does he have to return to canada to apply? and is there no way to ask for it to be done extra fast so we can return to the uk as quickly as possible?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
You have already asked these questions (in this thread) and they have already been answered. He can't marry in the UK on a visit visa. He has to apply from for a fiance visa from Canada. Paying for priority processing is as fast as it gets and it takes as long as it takes. Expect a couple of weeks as a guideline but there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For an idea...since it is online, can we apply online while in the uk using his canadian address but then fly back to do the processing part? Just get ahead of things a little by doing the online part a week or so ahead of getting back to Canada?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
None of the processing starts until you submit your documents, that includes his passport. You can fill out the online application, save it, fly back to Canada, hit submit, then submit the documents paying for priority processing.

That's as fast as you can get, most likely a few weeks if everything is in order.

Give a thought to some of the people on here that wait months and sometimes years, then count yourself lucky.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Online application can be submitted from anywhere but you need to be back in Canada for the biometrics.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so if we submit the online application from the uk, how long will we have before we need to submit the passports etc by post from Canada? will we have a few days or should we be submitting everything within 24 hours? And can we choose the date for biometrics when we submit the application online so we can have that appointment lined up before we head back to Canada?

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
You can choose your biometric appointment to suit your flight schedule back to Canada. There is no absolute limit on when you should schedule your biometrics, so a few weeks are quite in order.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.