Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for a settlement visa in November, to settle with my English spouse in London. Initially the entry clearance was refused but we appealed and I was informed last week that the initial decision has been over turned and the visa has now been granted.

We are planning to leave for the UK in about 3/4 weeks, depending on how soon we can make our arrangements.

My question is, what do I need to expect at the airport upon arrival in the UK? Surely they will pick up on their system that it was refused first but over turned due to more sufficient documentation presented with the appeal and it shouldn't have an influence on whether they let me in or not.

Has anyone experienced the same before i.e. entered on an overturned/appeal decision which resulted in the visa being granted? I just want to know what to expect upon arrival. As far as we are concerned, I now have a valid spousal visa so there shouldn't be a problem. Am I right in saying this?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
My question is, what do I need to expect at the airport upon arrival in the UK? Surely they will pick up on their system that it was refused first but over turned due to more sufficient documentation presented with the appeal and it shouldn't have an influence on whether they let me in or not.

Has anyone experienced the same before i.e. entered on an overturned/appeal decision which resulted in the visa being granted? I just want to know what to expect upon arrival. As far as we are concerned, I now have a valid spousal visa so there shouldn't be a problem. Am I right in saying this?
Well, it's true that when they scan your passport (or even before your arrival through the personal details you supply to your airline), your immigration history, including previous visa rejection, should show up. It's up to the immigration officer concerned whether to decide to probe into it or not. If they do, in all likelihood, they want to ensure that there has been no change in your circumstances which makes your visa invalid. The general recommendation of the Border Agency is to carry with you the same documentation you've submitted when applying for a visa. If it was a big file, you need to be realistic about it but if you want to be absolutely certain, you should carry a copy of your file, in your carry-on luggage. Nobody can tell you whether or not you will encounter any trouble at the immigration, but at least you can be prepared for any questioning, with your answers backed by documentary proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Yeah, I will have all the documentation on me which was submitted for the visa app, so it shouldn't be much of a problem....I hope!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.