Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just been granted a 1 year RRV for Australia which is valid until 18/11/2014.

My questions are this:

1. does this mean I must settle in Oz before 18/11/14 or does it simply mean I must visit Oz (for a minimum period?) during the next year?

2. would it be better to review this RRV visa before it expires IN Australia (eg if we go on holiday there during the coming year) or when I'm back in Belgium.

We still have to begin application for my partner's visa and plan the whole move so moving to Oz by 18/11/14 seems unrealistic.

thanks in advance for any advice/help!

Sabine

·
Registered
68 Posts
As per my knowledge, RRV is Resident Return Visa which implies that you must have already been in Australia for some time....!!!

Please specify if you have been in Australia before. If so, then on which VISA & for what duration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI

Yes, I lived in Australia from 1996 until 2001. I was granted a 1 yr RRV on "compassionate grounds".

It was granted on 18/11/13 and is valid until 18/11/14.

I need to know if I can just enter before 18/11/14 (extend my RRV while there if possible) and leave again...OR do I need to settle there before 18/11/14?

We still need to begin my partner's visa application so I have no idea how we can do that, sell the house and move in less than 1 year.

thanks for any feedback you can give!

sabine

G

·
You need to be living in Australia by that date because after then you will need a new RRV and if you are not living there you wont qualify at all.

G

·
Just be aware that each time you apply for a RRV you need to meet the criteria even if living in Australia. If you get to Australia in a year you probably wouldnt qualify to renew it for more than a 3 month return if there was an emergency for a few years.

G

·
It is indeed. A few years back they granted them to anyone with few criteria if they once held PR. They then changed it all so only those who are actually going to use it to live in Australia can obtain one. If you are then committed enough you can get citizenship but in the mean time they are only interested in those who are going to contribute to the economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don't think it is realistic to a) get an RRV for 1 yr and then b) have to apply for a partner visa, which they advise you to do only after you get an RRV and then that takes at least 5 months to process...which leaves 4 months to arrange a family migration?

How is that doable if you have to sell a house, relocate, etc etc.

G

·
Can see where you're coming from but you could have sent off your spouse visa application the very day you were granted your RRV.

Would have been best waiting until you were actually ready to move. At least have sold the house and be renting so you could up and leave just as soon you got could.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
wt to do even coming after due date in Aus?? does it mean PR will be refused??
If you do not make to Australia within the time period (Before invalidity of Medical/Police Clearance whichever is earliest), then your PR is automatically cancelled by the system.

You will then be as good as someone without PR.

Best regards,
JR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts