Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have posted earlier with some important questions and members here have been very helpful esp. the seniors. I appreciate your help. I need a few more important info and thought it better to ask here.

This one is regarding selecting the most relevant occupation to get the skill assessment done. I am sorry about the long post as I am trying to put in as much details as possible.

My spouse is currently working as a "Program Officer" for a project with an NGO (Non Government Organization) that deals with counselling and assistance for HIV Infected Mothers and Children. She has done her MSW (Masters in Social Work) with a non-relevant Bachelor's degree and has worked in 2 jobs.
The first one is in an hospital as a "Medical Social Worker" for 2 years and she is in her current job as a program officer for over 5 Years.

We had initially thought of applying as a Social Worker for 189 visa but after checking the eligibility, it became apparent that due to her non-relevant degree she may not get a positive assessment with AASW (They need a relevant degree for +ve assessment).

We then considered applying as Welfare Worker with ACWA and her education is specifically mentioned as qualifying on the ACWA website so we could be sure about +ve assessment as a Welfare Worker if she also gets an IELTS score of 7 in each as per ACWA eligibility criteria. We have to apply for a 190 visa and only a couple of states are sponsoring Welfare Workers.

The issue is that she has given her IELTS twice and managed to get a 7 overall but not in each (in 2 of the tests she managed to get only a 6.5).

She can of course try again but we are concerned about the time factor and if any state stops sponsoring Welfare Workers and want to get to the EOI stage as soon as we can.
Due to this reason we are thinking if we are better off selecting her occupation as "Welfare Center Manager - 134214" as her job title is "Program Officer" and she does most functions mentioned in the duties. The assessment agency is VETASSESS or ACWA but VETASSESS do not have the English language criteria. We could probably get a +ve assessment if we go with VETASSESS skill assessment and meanwhile she can try again at getting 7 points in each test to increase our points if required. We also get the chance to apply for 189 visa.

Now my concern is if her education and employment is relevant to apply as Welfare Center Manager or if I am wrong in my observation above.

Job description of Welfare Center Manager:
Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates a centre, program or project concerned with social welfare support.

This occupation is in the same group as Health And Welfare Services Managers and ACWA gives similar titles as "Project Manager" etc.

I need your valuable inputs and opinion on this as we really want to apply soon before any other rule changes and we are left with no options.

Which of these two options is better in our case?
1. Apply as a "Welfare Center Manager" and apply for skill assessment with VETASSESS instead of with ACWA (ACWA needs IELTS 7 proof whereas VETASSESS doesn't.)
2. Apply as a "Welfare Worker" after getting 7 in each test in IELTS and that will take another couple of months if she manages to get it this time.

Thank you for reading so far and I hope you can guide me with your valuable input.

~Cheers!
John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any Welfare Workers/ Social workers on board or seniors would be able to guide me if Welfare Center Manger is considered a closely related occupation based on the description. Thanks in anticipation. :)

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for bringing this up again. I was hoping to get some response as I need to confirm what I wish to do to my agent and he is waiting for my confirmation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts