Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am from India and planning to apply for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
I have a query regarding my wife's English Eligibility criteria.
One of my friend was telling that if my wife's graduation is done using english language, we can get a document from her college stating that all her education is done in english and therefore it would not be mandatory for her to appear for IELTS exam.
He said it would be best to check here.

Can anyone provide information regarding any such option(and the format of the document also) or she has to appear for IELTS exam anyway. She would be the secondary applicant.

~Cheers
Varun

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Varun,

In Skill select Page,

Partner skills

You can receive five points if, when you are invited to apply for this visa, your partner provides evidence that they:

were under 50 years of age
had at least competent English
had nominated an occupation on the same skilled occupation list as your nominated occupation
had been assessed by the relevant assessing authority as having suitable skills for the nominated occupation.

Your wife has to appear for English Test (IELTS-GT/PTE-A)

-sairam

Reactions: braich.abhijeet

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hi All,

I am from India and planning to apply for Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
I have a query regarding my wife's English Eligibility criteria.
One of my friend was telling that if my wife's graduation is done using english language, we can get a document from her college stating that all her education is done in english and therefore it would not be mandatory for her to appear for IELTS exam.
He said it would be best to check here.

Can anyone provide information regarding any such option(and the format of the document also) or she has to appear for IELTS exam anyway. She would be the secondary applicant.

~Cheers
Varun
Not mandatory to sit for IELTS/PTE, if she can manage a letter/certificate from her college/uni. But it largely depends on the CO, some COs still ask for IELTS/PTE score even though you provide a letter from college.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
OP: sai438's reply applies only if you plan to claim 5 additional partner points (her skills assessment for an occupation on the SOL, and competent English would be required in this case). Otherwise, rameshkd's.

Search this forum for the formats. I have the following:

<College Name>
<Address>
Phone: <>

February 20, 2015

TO WHOMSOEVER IT MAY CONCERN

This is to certify that <partner>, Register number <nnn>, was a full time bonafide student of <College Name>, <Address> during the academic years yyyy - yyyy. She has compled her Bachelor of Commerce degree course, and the medium of instruction was English for the entire course.

Yours faithfully,

Principal
<College Name> <college_seal>
<Address>
I will be uploading partner's passing certificate showing Register number <nnn> along with this letter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
English Requirement for secondary applicant

Hi ,
I just processed my ACS and waiting for results.I plan to add my wife and daughter(1yr old) as secondary applicant to process 189 visa.My wife is not a degree holder.she completed her schooling in english medium upto +2(higher secondary).can anyone tell me whether she is eligible as secondary applicant.If not ,please please tell what she need to do to qualify???

I m not considering her 5 points for partner skills..

Thanks,
Suresh babu.V

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Hi ,
I just processed my ACS and waiting for results.I plan to add my wife and daughter(1yr old) as secondary applicant to process 189 visa.My wife is not a degree holder.she completed her schooling in english medium upto +2(higher secondary).can anyone tell me whether she is eligible as secondary applicant.If not ,please please tell what she need to do to qualify???

I m not considering her 5 points for partner skills..

Thanks,
Suresh babu.V
DIBP says:

Completed all years of primary education and at least three (3) years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

It seems your wife's case would be all years of primary + only 2 years of secondary education. So, I suggest you ask her to sit the IELTS or PTE to avoid VAC2 payment. Note that you need not wait to file your EOI for her IELTS/ PTE. Go ahead and file your EOI, but make sure she has her English results at least a month after (when a CO would be allocated to your case) filing the visa.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Thanks for your reply.but is this the eligibility to claim 5 points or the basic requirement to apply as secondary applicant?
My earlier comment was about the basic requirement for any additional applicant who is 18+
For 5 points, an English test like IELTS or PTE is mandatory with a score of 6+ in all the modules.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If claiming points, then minimum 6+ in all the modules.
If not claiming points, but appearing for the tests just to prove/ satisfy the functional English requirement, then minimum 4.5 overall score in a test taken not more than 12 months prior to visa lodgement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts