Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nobody has got a crystal ball re Brexit etc but I would really appreciate some advice.

We have received an offer on our house today, so on one hand I'm thrilled but on the other hand I'm wondering if we're making a big mistake? We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we may have to pay for our own healthcare forever so that's not the most pressing issue but I'm really worried that all the UK government seem concerned about is the rights of EU citizens in the UK-nothing is ever said about UK citizens in the EU!

What are the chances (hopefully we'll have residencia by then) that come 2019, Spain would kick us out?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
234 Posts
I cannot see any reason why We residents should use our healthcare.It is a reciprocal arrangement,nothing to do with ‘brexit’.Give people something to panic about and the queue forms.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know nobody has got a crystal ball re Brexit etc but I would really appreciate some advice.

We have received an offer on our house today, so on one hand I'm thrilled but on the other hand I'm wondering if we're making a big mistake? We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we may have to pay for our own healthcare forever so that's not the most pressing issue but I'm really worried that all the UK government seem concerned about is the rights of EU citizens in the UK-nothing is ever said about UK citizens in the EU!

What are the chances (hopefully we'll have residencia by then) that come 2019, Spain would kick us out?

Thanks a lot
Seriously! You're selling your house because of Brexit? :eek:

Do you really want to go back and live in the UK? :eek:

EU citizen/ UK citizen rights will be reciprocated. Spain needs the UK Expats as much as we expats need Spain :cool:

I've heard of some crazy knee jerk reactions.......but selling your house! :eek:

The Spanish construction industry is starting up again and the property prices will start to creep up. Once you add in the 20% cost of buying & selling you must really have another reason, rather than brexit, if you're selling now. :(

BTW good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Seriously! You're selling your house because of Brexit? :eek:

Do you really want to go back and live in the UK? :eek:

EU citizen/ UK citizen rights will be reciprocated. Spain needs the UK Expats as much as we expats need Spain :cool:

I've heard of some crazy knee jerk reactions.......but selling your house! :eek:

The Spanish construction industry is starting up again and the property prices will start to creep up. Once you add in the 20% cost of buying & selling you must really have another reason, rather than brexit, if you're selling now. :(

BTW good luck with the sale.
c

I think he's selling his his in the UK and moving to Spain !

·
Registered
173 Posts
c

I think he's selling his his in the UK and moving to Spain !
Doh! Sorry, that wasn't immediately obvious. the "originally from UK. Expat in Spain" at the top fooled me :eek:

In that case.....No worries! Get yourself over here!:D
We bought about 18 months ago and haven't regretted a moment since.

p.s a couple of points from my previous post are still pertinent though. :eek:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happy we got that sorted out Trotter! You have cheered me up anyway - seems I'm panicking unnecessarily. Glad you're enjoying Spain so much too :)

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Spain will not kick you out. But you will lose the rights that apply as a result of being an EU citizen, e.g. being able to vote in municipal elections.

As long as you are prepared to pay for your own healthcare and can cope with the value of sterling continuing to fall against the euro, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Spain will not kick you out. But you will lose the rights that apply as a result of being an EU citizen, e.g. being able to vote in municipal elections.

As long as you are prepared to pay for your own healthcare and can cope with the value of sterling continuing to fall against the euro, you'll be fine.

As yet we do not know that the UK Government will stop paying for healthcare of retired UK residents in Spain.
Considering the age of most British immigrants here and their likely age-related health issues any Government might hesitate before encouraging an exodus of elderly immigrants back to the UK, considering the parlous state of the NHS.

Mrs.May should take a trip to our local Gabinete Geriatrico.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The way things are going, I´d be surprised if anything changed for ex-pats...because the EU are really digging their heels in, and are refusing to negotiate - that´s their tactic, so that other countries don´t leave. I can see another referendum on the cards, and so it might be years before anything actually changes.

IF we do actually leave - and that becomes less likely by the day- nothing will really change for us. Reciprocal deals will be done between countries protecting the rights of citizens.

We bring a lot to Spain, what with our pensions, and housing investments, and tourism (we were the biggest group of tourists this summer) We came here before Spain was in the EU, and will continue if the UK leaves.

So I would say "GO FOR IT" before the pound completely crashes through the floor. The future for the UK looks bleak.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
:smow:
The way things are going, I´d be surprised if anything changed for ex-pats...because the EU are really digging their heels in, and are refusing to negotiate - that´s their tactic, so that other countries don´t leave. I can see another referendum on the cards, and so it might be years before anything actually changes.

IF we do actually leave - and that becomes less likely by the day- nothing will really change for us. Reciprocal deals will be done between countries protecting the rights of citizens.

We bring a lot to Spain, what with our pensions, and housing investments, and tourism (we were the biggest group of tourists this summer) We came here before Spain was in the EU, and will continue if the UK leaves.

So I would say "GO FOR IT" before the pound completely crashes through the floor. The future for the UK looks bleak.
You could be right but you would say that wouldn't you with a link on to property sales in Calahonda. If ones income comes from UK and the pound completely crashes they still have to live and pay taxes.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
As yet we do not know that the UK Government will stop paying for healthcare of retired UK residents in Spain.
Considering the age of most British immigrants here and their likely age-related health issues any Government might hesitate before encouraging an exodus of elderly immigrants back to the UK, considering the parlous state of the NHS.

No, we don't know - but they have indicated unofficially they will keep paying for those of us who already get it.

I doubt they will extend the offer to new claimants though. So better for future retirees to be prepared and maybe get a nice surprise than be caught short.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts

But we don't know about future healthcare rights if not in receipt of pension.... big worry for many.

However to the OP. If I'm honest, there will always be doubts and worries, in the end you know what you are comfortable with. Brexit is important but I would worry more about the exchange rate, if dependent on sterling. There are lots who struggled post the crisis, because of falling exchange rates. My advice, for what it's worth, think of all costs as being parity with each other, be prepared for the worst and then get on with life...... you are a long time dead

·
Registered
164 Posts
My opinion has nothing to do with my business....I live here as well!!

Business wise, it´s never been better with Brits coming over.

You can either be poor in the UK, or poor in Spain - I know which one I´d go for.

Personally, I would try to get the best rate in sterling for my house, and come over asap, because it will only get lower!! That´s not one estate agents´s view - that´s the view of economic experts!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
:smow:

You could be right but you would say that wouldn't you with a link on to property sales in Calahonda. If ones income comes from UK and the pound completely crashes they still have to live and pay taxes.

You can either be poor in the UK, or poor in Spain - I know which one I´d go for.

Personally, I would try to get the best rate in sterling for my house, and come over asap, because it will only get lower!! That´s not one estate agents´s view - that´s the view of economic experts!!

·
Registered
22,369 Posts

Agree and disagree. I think you exaggerate the degree to which Spain depends on British immigrants. Most of us here are not wealthy - the truly rich go elsewhere - and the real or imagined worries over Brexit will surely lead to a decline in new UK arrivals of any age. The future could be Scandinavian.

I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion that the EU are 'refusing to negotiate'. As yet the UK Government and its sorry team have failed to engage in any meaningful negotiations. The UK is leaving the EU, not vice-versa. Ball in the UK's court. As yet there have been no serious moves to exit the EU in any member state. Remember that before the UK Referendum it was scarcely the talk of every pub and dinner table in the UK.

I do believe that as time passes there could well be another Referendum as there surely should be if the Government ever gets round to putting forward a concrete well-thought out plan for our post EU future . But I think you are wrong in assuming that if the UK leaves nothing will change for UK immigrants resident in EU member states and the OP is right to be cautious.
For one thing, reciprocal 'free' health care may be discontinued (as I said I think that's unlikely) and if so private care or even the Convenio Especial may break the budgets of some retired immigrants, especially with the impact of the drop in £sterling.
Requirements for residence may be more strictly enforced as may the ninety day rule and all those immigrants living 'under the radar' , with UK plated cars and their tax evasion, may be in for a shock. Of course tourism and travel generally will continue -you can visit Iran and Iraq these days - but there will be an end to cruising through the EU Citizens channel with zero passport check. After all, the UK will be ex-EU and out of Schengen.

For most these will be minor conveniences. Life will go on. But anyone thinking of living in Spain would be foolish not to plan for the worst possible outcomes.
I think you are a tad too gung-ho...but I guess you need to be in your trade.:)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts

I wonder if you are aware of what it would actually mean for a British immigrant to be poor here in Spain, especially for retired folk.
No Housing Benefit, Pension or Income Supplement, Working Family Tax Credit, Winter Fuel Allowance, generous Sick Pay and Disability Allowances or other UK benefits in Spain.
Do you actually know any poor Spanish families, I wonder? Do you know how many people live here with no assistance whatsoever from the local regional or national state?
But as you say, you have an estate agent's point of view.
How long before the next asset bubble crash, would you say?;)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
It may be informative to read the post from the unfortunate American lady who has been refused insurance cover because of a pre-existing condition.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder if you are aware of what it would actually mean for a British immigrant to be poor here in Spain, especially for retired folk.
No Housing Benefit, Pension or Income Supplement, Working Family Tax Credit, Winter Fuel Allowance, generous Sick Pay and Disability Allowances or other UK benefits in Spain.
Do you actually know any poor Spanish families, I wonder? Do you know how many people live here with no assistance whatsoever from the local regional or national state?
But as you say, you have an estate agent's point of view.
How long before the next asset bubble crash, would you say?;)
Take your bitterness elsewhere....if you can't listen to other people's OPINIONS without replying in a condescending way, then don't bother replying.

The issues you have mentioned are worth thinking about regardless of Brexit. If you can't afford to move here, then you can't afford to move here.

Sometimes people just need to go for things in life, because there will always be people like you to persuade them to play safe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts