Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently living in South Africa on a SA Password. I have a girlfriend in the UK (Who has UK citizenship) and we have been seeing each other for 2 years. A long distance relationship - I have visited her in the UK, and she has visited me a few times.

I would now like to move to live with here and work in the UK. I see there is a unmarried visa but the requirements are "must have lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for at least 2 years" - since we have a long distance relationship then I guess this option does not apply - since were not 'living together'?

Is my assumption correct? As I do not qualify for ancestral visa is my only option to get married if I would like to live in the UK with her? (Or a UK fiance visa but you need to get married within 6 months?)

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
I am currently living in South Africa on a SA Password. I have a girlfriend in the UK (Who has UK citizenship) and we have been seeing each other for 2 years. A long distance relationship - I have visited her in the UK, and she has visited me a few times.
I would now like to move to live with here and work in the UK. I see there is a unmarried visa but the requirements are "must have lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for at least 2 years" - since we have a long distance relationship then I guess this option does not apply - since were not 'living together'?
Correct. The option does not apply to you since you have not lived together for 2 years.

Is my assumption correct? As I do not qualify for ancestral visa is my only option to get married if I would like to live in the UK with her? (Or a UK fiance visa but you need to get married within 6 months?)
Yes. Your assumption is correct.

If you find an employer willing to sponsor you, that is another option. However, there are very few work visas available and they generally go to highly skilled workers with unique talents. You could also invest in or start a UK business if you have a lot of money. You could also enrol in an advanced degree program but international student fees are expensive and you are restricted to working 20 hours/week.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the confirmation.

A T2 visa seems impossible to get nowadays and unfortunately I dont think I can start a business or invest a ton on money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.