Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am in the process of preparing for ACS assessment for myself and my wife with 261313 (Software Engineer) occupation code. However I have been reading ACS guidelines and on forums recently that there would be some reduction in Work -experience based on the qualification and courses taken by the applicant.

In my case my wife and I both have done 4 years engineering and both were in non computer science core disciplines. Though we both have some subjects of Computers which related ICT core and associated units which is listed for 261313 job code. It has mostly been confusing so far to understand that how much years are likely to be deducted by ACS based on our experience, occupation code claimed and Qualification.

I have attached course subjects list which is taken from both mine and her mark sheets.

Can anyone expert here please advise on the possibility of reduction on this basis?

My Actual Work Ex - Software Engineer - 9 Years
My Wife's Actual Work Ex - Software Engineer - 6.5 Years

Additional Questions:
1. Whether our course will be treated as ICT major / minor?
2. If ICT Major / Minor is it closely related to ICT core units / subjects?
3. Any chances that any of these courses may go even below ICT minor and would it require any RPL?
4. If ICT major, how much reduction, 2, 4 or 6 years?
5. If ICT minor, how much reduction, 4,5,6 or 8 years?

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi,

I am in the process of preparing for ACS assessment for myself and my wife with 261313 (Software Engineer) occupation code. However I have been reading ACS guidelines and on forums recently that there would be some reduction in Work -experience based on the qualification and courses taken by the applicant.

In my case my wife and I both have done 4 years engineering and both were in non computer science core disciplines. Though we both have some subjects of Computers which related ICT core and associated units which is listed for 261313 job code. It has mostly been confusing so far to understand that how much years are likely to be deducted by ACS based on our experience, occupation code claimed and Qualification.

I have attached course subjects list which is taken from both mine and her mark sheets.

Can anyone expert here please advise on the possibility of reduction on this basis?

My Actual Work Ex - Software Engineer - 9 Years
My Wife's Actual Work Ex - Software Engineer - 6.5 Years

Additional Questions:
1. Whether our course will be treated as ICT major / minor?
2. If ICT Major / Minor is it closely related to ICT core units / subjects?
3. Any chances that any of these courses may go even below ICT minor and would it require any RPL?
4. If ICT major, how much reduction, 2, 4 or 6 years?
5. If ICT minor, how much reduction, 4,5,6 or 8 years?
There are many examples on this forum where EEE & ECE are assessed as ICT Major- Not closely related to the occupation code 261313 deducting 4 years of work experience.

It will not require RPL.

Reactions: sdpkm

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you did 4 years bachelors and you have atleast 25% ict courses then you degree will be cinsidered as ICT major and ACS will only deduct 2 years from yout experience. I did BS EE and my acs assessment was positive with bachelors in ICT major and they deducted only 2 years from my total experience.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are many examples on this forum where EEE & ECE are assessed as ICT Major- Not closely related to the occupation code 261313 deducting 4 years of work experience.

It will not require RPL.
Thanks for your response Scorpion24. Any idea whether ICT Major or Minor ka based on ratio of ICT subjects with whole list of subjects studied in qualifying degree or is it based on ratio of number of topics mentioned in ASC document for selected occupation vs total number of subjects studied in degree? Wondering how is 25% and more is decided?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you did 4 years bachelors and you have atleast 25% ict courses then you degree will be cinsidered as ICT major and ACS will only deduct 2 years from yout experience. I did BS EE and my acs assessment was positive with bachelors in ICT major and they deducted only 2 years from my total experience.

Thanks Kamal, in my case 2 years deduction might fetch me 5 more points, at the moment I am expecting 6 years deduction as worst case which should leave me with 3 years of experience hence 5 points.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Kamal, in my case 2 years deduction might fetch me 5 more points, at the moment I am expecting 6 years deduction as worst case which should leave me with 3 years of experience hence 5 points.

Sumbit the ACS and highlight the ict subjects in your transcripts. And hope for the best.
As per my knowledge 25% calculated total ict subjects you have in ur degree divided by total nunber of subjects you took.
The list if ict subjects are on acs website in some pdf.

·
Registered
356 Posts
:confused:
Thanks for your response Scorpion24. Any idea whether ICT Major or Minor ka based on ratio of ICT subjects with whole list of subjects studied in qualifying degree or is it based on ratio of number of topics mentioned in ASC document for selected occupation vs total number of subjects studied in degree? Wondering how is 25% and more is decided?

Whatever you studied will decide whether it's ICT Major/Minor.

The ICT content you studied in relation to your occupation will decide whether it's closely related to nominated occupation or not.

I did my Btech in ECE and assessed ICT Major not closely related to nominated occupation and hence 4 years deduction.

Please see the below threads where many people in EEE background were assessed with 4 years deduction.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ing-australia/1275666-acs-eee-background.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...tralia/159101-eee-degree-ict-major-minor.html

Reactions: sdpkm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, these threads were quite useful. Based on a number of things I am hoping for a deduction of not more than 4-6 years (Wish i get deduction of 4 max, it will get me 5 extra points on experience). :)

BTW, Slightly off topic (but still related to ACS), do you know whether the dates in experience letter, education certificates etc have to be shown as full date (e.g. 26 Jun 2017) instead of June 2017? Askimg this because in ACS sample letter it only shows Month and year? Also ACS says "Only month and year will be counted for employment duration, not individual days."

Asking this as my start date on job was 27 Aug, so will they consider full Aug or will they start counting form Sep onwards?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks, these threads were quite useful. Based on a number of things I am hoping for a deduction of not more than 4-6 years (Wish i get deduction of 4 max, it will get me 5 extra points on experience). :)

BTW, Slightly off topic (but still related to ACS), do you know whether the dates in experience letter, education certificates etc have to be shown as full date (e.g. 26 Jun 2017) instead of June 2017? Askimg this because in ACS sample letter it only shows Month and year? Also ACS says "Only month and year will be counted for employment duration, not individual days."

Asking this as my start date on job was 27 Aug, so will they consider full Aug or will they start counting form Sep onwards?
You have to show the full dates in experience certificates.

My spouse has the similar situation. Her start date is 28th Jan. They didn't consider it. They are smart enough to calculate the month duration of experience. They will give skill level met date after the completion of 4 years(48 Months) of experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kamal Bhai,

I will appreciate if you please guide me. 2 years Bachelor Computer Science and 2 year Msc Information Technology specialization Software Engineering from University of the Punjab Lahore will be considered as Bachelor 15 point or not?

if i have 3 years experience then they will deduct 2 and remaining 1 means ZERO point ?

I have to submit transcripts and Degree with experience certificate ?

Thanks a lot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts