Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In a tricky situation here.

Me and my wife have moved to Australia on PR. Our daughter was born after we received PR.

Currently, we have brought our daughter on Visitor visa and in parallel have applied for her PR i.e Child migration visa (subclass 101), it will take sometime. Now, as per rules, our child is not eligible for medicare.

I was told at medicare that people who have applied for PR visa are only eligible for medicare if they are on bridging visa in Australia.

Questions:

1. Can I get a bridging visa for our daughter in Australia so that she is eligible for medicare? If yes, which category and where to apply

2. What will happen to her visitor visa?

3. What is fees and duration to receive bridging visa.

4. Will it effect her PR visa application?

Thanks
Ratnesh

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
A bridging visa is granted automatically when you lodge an application while the applicant is in Australia. Since the 101 is the off-shore child visa, she is not eligible for a bridging visa. You will need to either wait until her visa is granted or you could apply for an 802 (onshore) child visa if her visitor visa allows this (doesn't have a No Further Stay condition 8503). Of course this is expensive because you pay the application fee over again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi

In a tricky situation here.

Me and my wife have moved to Australia on PR. Our daughter was born after we received PR.

Currently, we have brought our daughter on Visitor visa and in parallel have applied for her PR i.e Child migration visa (subclass 101), it will take sometime. Now, as per rules, our child is not eligible for medicare.

I was told at medicare that people who have applied for PR visa are only eligible for medicare if they are on bridging visa in Australia.

Questions:

1. Can I get a bridging visa for our daughter in Australia so that she is eligible for medicare? If yes, which category and where to apply

2. What will happen to her visitor visa?

3. What is fees and duration to receive bridging visa.

4. Will it effect her PR visa application?

Thanks
Ratnesh
Ratnesh,
Could you please share what did you do to resolve visa problem for your child?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ratnesh,
Could you please share what did you do to resolve visa problem for your child?
She was not eligible for bridging visa. While being on visitor visa she was also not eligible for medicare.

Hence, we had to wait until her 101 was granted, which happened in 1st week of Dev 2017.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Expat,

I have applied 802 visa for my child 3 weeks ago through express AU Post. I haven't received any acknowledgement if the Department has received my application. I am little worried. : 😦

1 - 5 of 5 Posts