Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am a prospective student at the University of Melbourne - Electrical Engineering. I am eligible to apply for PR under SubClass 189 as I meet exact 60 Points (Age 23 , Education :Electrical Engineering Bachelors Degree recognised by Engineers Australia,PTE Academic 79 +) but my query is do I wait for the PR application to go through or apply for a Student Visa ASAP as my Classes are scheduled to start in February 2018.
So far I am waiting for my Engineers Australia Accreditation , once I get that i Should be able to Lodge an EOI using Skill select but am not sure of the Time Line . Any chance I could get PR before Year end ?
It makes a significant difference as My fees also reduces significantly

Please advise
With Thanks
Noel

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Invitations to 60 pointers hasn't started yet, but is expected to happen soon (either next EOI round or the one after that). Are you sure you will get an invitation soon enough considering the existing backlog? As for the visa grant, nobody can guarantee you that by Feb 2018.

Also, I haven't read much on the proposed uni fee reform for permanent residents starting Jan 2018, but you may want to read into it and be absolutely sure that having a PR instead of a student visa would benefit you:

Higher education reform

Permanent residents, New Zealanders targeted in university budget revamp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Keeda ,
Thanks for the answer, do you think applying for a student visa would get in the way of My PR application or anything like that? I am thinking I will apply for student visa asap and work on the PR parallel to it so that if I am blessed , I might be able to get the PR before commencement of University

Kindly advise

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi Noel,

We cannot say nor guess how long it will take because there are no invitation statistics for 60 pointers from this year yet. To be able to predict, we will have to wait for a few rounds to observe how the backlog moves. But from the looks of it, considering that there are many with 60 points waiting in the queue since long (21-June) before you, it would be highly unlikely that you will get an invitation in 2 to 3 months.

As for your previous query: When having both the applications in process in parallel, you should take care that should the PR be approved before the student visa, then immediately proceed to withdraw the student visa application.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Noel,

We cannot say nor guess how long it will take because there are no invitation statistics for 60 pointers from this year yet. To be able to predict, we will have to wait for a few rounds to observe how the backlog moves. But from the looks of it, considering that there are many with 60 points waiting in the queue since long (21-June) before you, it would be highly unlikely that you will get an invitation in 2 to 3 months.

As for your previous query: When having both the applications in process in parallel, you should take care that should the PR be approved before the student visa, then immediately proceed to withdraw the student visa application.
Dear Keeda,
I am hoping to proceed with the Student Visa application asap, My IDP consultant says it shouldnt take more than a Month. Once The Visa has been Issued, Can I Procced with the PR application? Will It be an Issue? Also, Once enrolled for the masters as an International Student ,will there be complications , if at all PR application (God willing) goes through?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Keeda,
I am hoping to proceed with the Student Visa application asap, My IDP consultant says it shouldnt take more than a Month. Once The Visa has been Issued, Can I Procced with the PR application? Will It be an Issue? Also, Once enrolled for the masters as an International Student ,will there be complications , if at all PR application (God willing) goes through?

Thanks
Have you thought about the genuine temporary entrant criteria for student visa application? Having a PR application in at the same time may jeopardise your claims of being a GTE for student visa. Have you discussed this with your agent?

I'm not so sure but other experienced members can clarify on this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is also an advantage of moving in as a student because in the long run you shall be eligible for additional points based on your stay in Australia and your Australian education. Furthermore, you would be considered as a 'local' and it does give you an edge over other migrant candidates during job interview selection process.

A word of caution though: Please initiate your PR application after your studies or when your student visa tenure is about to end as having two application may contradict one another.

All the best!

Reactions: AmitavaDeb

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,
Can someone please let me know when I can expect invitation?
NSW- 190/489
DOE- 27/09/2017
English - 10
Professional year - 5
Education- 20

190 = 65+5
489= 65+10

·
Registered
45 Posts
PR / Student visa

Hi Guys,

I am a prospective student at the University of Melbourne - Electrical Engineering. I am eligible to apply for PR under SubClass 189 as I meet exact 60 Points (Age 23 , Education :Electrical Engineering Bachelors Degree recognised by Engineers Australia,PTE Academic 79 +) but my query is do I wait for the PR application to go through or apply for a Student Visa ASAP as my Classes are scheduled to start in February 2018.
So far I am waiting for my Engineers Australia Accreditation , once I get that i Should be able to Lodge an EOI using Skill select but am not sure of the Time Line . Any chance I could get PR before Year end ?
It makes a significant difference as My fees also reduces significantly

Please advise
With Thanks
Noel
Hi Noel,

I would say go with student visa and apply for an Australian PR later on, once you are completing your course.

PR visa takes time will not happen anywhere before your scheduled course starting date; Feb 2018.

Also, you need to be declaring that you are a genuine temporary entrant to Australia while applying for a student visa. Since DIBP is not very keen to host permanent residents too many too soon as of now, student visa would be a good idea. As you can apply for post study work visa, it opens up a sure pathway to PR. Since you have already been studying, staying and working in Australia, there are brighter chances of PR approval.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts