Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some queries around below -

1. My spouse want to retain her maiden name in passport. If i get her maiden name added in mine , hope this will work.
2. After getting PR can one get the spouse name edited in passport? Will PR remain valid ?
3. What if the spouse decides to change name in passport after getting PR. what is the procedure.
4. Can we apply the passport from country where we plan to move if it is expiring in 2 years? Will the person have to come back to get passport reissued or it can be done from there itself

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have another query -

My spouse name is Ritu Singh and marriage certificate has her name as Ritu Satyam. While adding her name in my passport, will Ritu Singh work or i can i mention Ritu Satyam?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23,845 Posts
Hi all,

I have some queries around below -

1. My spouse want to retain her maiden name in passport. If i get her maiden name added in mine , hope this will work.
2. After getting PR can one get the spouse name edited in passport? Will PR remain valid ?
3. What if the spouse decides to change name in passport after getting PR. what is the procedure.
4. Can we apply the passport from country where we plan to move if it is expiring in 2 years? Will the person have to come back to get passport reissued or it can be done from there itself

Thanks in advance

1. Changing the name after marriage is a personal choice. You can get the maiden name added in your passport

2. Can't understand what you mean

3. Name change few years down the line, may involve giving advertisements in the newspapers etc. ( At least in India) you will have to follow the local laws and processes of the country where you are residing at that point of time , your home country, Countries in which you have PR status or long terms visas etc.

4. You can get the passport renewed from any country you are staying from the local Indian high commission or embassy

In my personal opinion if you have links in multiple countries, it may be quite a complicated costly and time consuming exercise in future

Decide once for all whether you are going to change the name or not after marriage and stick with it

Do recheck the above as what I have told you is from general knowledge as my wife changed her name immediately after marriage due to which it was a very smooth transition in all government departments spread over several countries

Cheers

·
Registered
23,845 Posts
I have another query -

My spouse name is Ritu Singh and marriage certificate has her name as Ritu Satyam. While adding her name in my passport, will Ritu Singh work or i can i mention Ritu Satyam?

Thanks in advance
If your wife decides to retain her maiden name as Ritu Singh, then I don't think the marriage certificate would be valid

Please do verify the same with the lawyer or notary who issued the marriage certificate for confirmation

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your wife decides to retain her maiden name as Ritu Singh, then I don't think the marriage certificate would be valid

Please do verify the same with the lawyer or notary who issued the marriage certificate for confirmation

Cheers
Thanks.

Can you help me with one more query -

While adding my spouse name in my passport should the name be exactly same as that in marriage certificate?

·
Registered
23,845 Posts
Thanks.

While adding my spouse name in my passport should the name be exactly same as that in marriage certificate?
Not only in the passport, it has to be exactly the same over all the documents if you want to avoid complications .
Choose one spelling and stick with it over all the documents would be my suggestion

Cheers

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks.

Having multiple names only invite complications.
As far as possible stick to one name and have it updated in all your documents.

Also, if there are documents with names changed, ensure that you have enough document proofs available and mention the all names in Form 80 and 1221 that you submit for Visa application.

I have used my spouse's maiden name everywhere and that way it has avoided all complications.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1. Changing the name after marriage is a personal choice. You can get the maiden name added in your passport

2. Can't understand what you mean

3. Name change few years down the line, may involve giving advertisements in the newspapers etc. ( At least in India) you will have to follow the local laws and processes of the country where you are residing at that point of time , your home country, Countries in which you have PR status or long terms visas etc.

4. You can get the passport renewed from any country you are staying from the local Indian high commission or embassy

In my personal opinion if you have links in multiple countries, it may be quite a complicated costly and time consuming exercise in future

Decide once for all whether you are going to change the name or not after marriage and stick with it

Do recheck the above as what I have told you is from general knowledge as my wife changed her name immediately after marriage due to which it was a very smooth transition in all government departments spread over several countries

Cheers

You seem to be in dilemma. I agree with newbienz. Keep the information in documents consistent. In case your wife has a different name in passport and marriage certificate then you would need to decide which one to take forward. Either she can keep her maiden name. Then you would have to get the marriage certificate redone. Then get a fresh passport for both of you with each other's name added in them as Spouse since now name cannot be edited in existing passport. You have to apply for fresh passport. In case she wants to change her name as per marriage certificate, then also, she would need a new passport and you would too need a new one. Based on the name in the passport, apply for the nominations and visa.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know how difficult is it to get Australian PR now.
A lawyer told me that Australia stopped granting PR for over a year now.
Here is my profile:
Education: B.E.(Information Technology)
Work ex: 3.5 years(Software Engineer)
P.T.E.: yet to give

1 - 9 of 9 Posts