Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I want to file my state residency application through QLD SMP program.
I will try to explain my situation here as I am bit perplexed.

I have been living in Brisbane for last 1 year on a 457 Visa. Now i was ready to file
my application and hence got my IELTS done.

I still have to do my skills assesment. Having said that, I have just received a Job offer in Melbourne which is lucrative and I think i will go for it.

Now I want to move to melbourne but still want to file my residency in Queensland due to the better prospects of getting one here.
My new employer (melbourne one) is willing to mention Brisbane as my location, however I was thinking of moving to Melbourne for atleast an Year.

What do you advise in this situation? I have the employee reference letter of my current Brisbane employer, rent agreements for last 1 year etc .everything.

Quick advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hi Guys,

I want to file my state residency application through QLD SMP program.
I will try to explain my situation here as I am bit perplexed.

I have been living in Brisbane for last 1 year on a 457 Visa. Now i was ready to file
my application and hence got my IELTS done.

I still have to do my skills assesment. Having said that, I have just received a Job offer in Melbourne which is lucrative and I think i will go for it.

Now I want to move to melbourne but still want to file my residency in Queensland due to the better prospects of getting one here.
My new employer (melbourne one) is willing to mention Brisbane as my location, however I was thinking of moving to Melbourne for atleast an Year.

What do you advise in this situation? I have the employee reference letter of my current Brisbane employer, rent agreements for last 1 year etc .everything.

Quick advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Hi,

There are three options that i can think of dealing with the situation, if I were you.

1) LAFHA tax free allowance if you would like to continue getting it in your monthly salary till your UC457 VISA WP expires, then stick with the employer sponsored Visa (Depends on the company you work for) and then think abt PR Later.

2) If PR is the only objective and you would like to receive it earliest possible time, then apply for ACS and then apply for SSMP in QLD State. If successful straight away file for 176.

3) If you wanna be continue living in OZ for sometime and you can wait for 2 yrs max for the PR status to be received, then dont apply for SSMP. Take the Melbourne location offer (Definitely a better place interms of living and lifestyle in a fast pace - Based on my experience) and then apply for 175 meanwhile.

Good Luck :)

Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts