Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We just got a Case Officer, and we are confused about where we want to live in Oz. Originally we were very sure about settling in Sydney, but as one of our main priorities is to have a nice house with a big garden, close to the coast, we can see Sydney surroundings are very expensive.
On the other hand the renting in Queensland (Gold Coast) is very cheap compare to Sydney and the size of the houses are huge.
We are not to sure about the salaries and the jobs though in Queensland.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
HI

have a look at the respective state sites. alternatively have a look at the job portals and the real estate sites, that will give you a good idea about the area, real estate prices and the jobs available. it is personal choice, if you like it quieter, warmer, laid back, Queensland it is for you. if you want a faster life and not so cold/hot weather, sydney it is for you. no one can really suggest what you should do or which area is best. even if you are able to buy a house in say Brisbane but dont like the weather or the cultural feel, you wont be able to adjust.

as fr salary/work, the cost/salary ratio would be more or less the same, if you make say 5000$ in Sydney and have an expenditure of 4000$, in Brisbane you will make 4500 with an expenditure of 3500$. end of the day you save the same amount.

I dont know if I am making sense but this is the way I feel

Cheers
Anj

·
Registered
82 Posts
You also have to write down what are you looking for,
The big city of Sydney and high costs or the quietness of Quensland,
Buy a book "moving to Australia"and do some hard graft
Ask the forum about peoples lifestyle in these locations.

We are in Sydney,this is where I wanted to come
The weather is good,the beaches great,the shopping is excellent,plenty of jobs,
now the downsides
It is expensive,ridiculously so and what is getting to me now is the difficulty in making friends,we had planned everything and it has worked like clockwork but Sydneysiders in my impression are nearly like Londoners on the tube,not friendly.
If I knew somebody had moved over to my country and were living beside me,I would go out of my way to be friendly,invite them in etc,
This is not happening for us,so we will persevere

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, it's a great help.

We think we are going to go for Brisbane, seems to be a bit better for families and easier life style.

I know how you feel David, my wife moved to Dublin 3 years ago, and she finds it very hard to make friends in the city. It can be tough sometimes... David, you can move up to Brisbane and we can be neighbours and have loads of barbecues!! :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
It is expensive,ridiculously so and what is getting to me now is the difficulty in making friends,we had planned everything and it has worked like clockwork but Sydneysiders in my impression are nearly like Londoners on the tube,not friendly.
If I knew somebody had moved over to my country and were living beside me,I would go out of my way to be friendly,invite them in etc,
This is not happening for us,so we will persevere

David
I think that's true of any big city. I noticed that in Melbourne when I'm there for a visit. People tend to avoid looking at each other and I thought I was back on the tube in London. So I started a conversation with the woman sitting opposite me (she had a lovely bag). A few people looked at us talking but it was a good way to spend the journey.

Even here in regional SE South Australia no-one from my husbands work invited him round although they knew that he had just moved to Oz. Our neighbours did start inviting us round and we have been there until the early hours on several occasions :) It wasn't until we joined clubs and became known to people that we were invited out and now have 'proper' friends.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea that's quite true about big cities. Sydney is a lovely place but I feel it is nice for a visit. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, if you just want to work and be around great nightlife then Sydney would suit. However, if you want to settle down Queensland is very cruisy and the weather is great all the time. I prefer Melbourne just 'cos it's not hot all year round, I kind of like it like that.

I have to say it has been quite hard to make friends here especially in the a city people tend to be more gaurded. It has only been since I had my daughter and moved to the suburbs where I met some really nice couples.

I hope it all works out whatever you decide:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all

We just got a Case Officer, and we are confused about where we want to live in Oz. Originally we were very sure about settling in Sydney, but as one of our main priorities is to have a nice house with a big garden, close to the coast, we can see Sydney surroundings are very expensive.
On the other hand the renting in Queensland (Gold Coast) is very cheap compare to Sydney and the size of the houses are huge.

Do let us know what you decide,
Brisbane could be ideal,as long as it is not too hot and there are jobs,
My friend and his Irish family move to Sydney next week so I will put up a post looking for contacts in Sydney

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I would personally go for a cheaper place first, since the initial expenses can burn a huge hole in the pocket so the cheaper the place the better. once u r settled, have a job, know the place, u can always move to the one u like the most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

youll prob have a longer commute to work in sydney then in brisbane or other qld cities

1 - 9 of 9 Posts