Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
You're not getting what I'm asking.

I'm not talking about quarantine, I'm asking whether contact with a positive case would mean being forced to stay in Spain for an extra ten days to undergo required testing. I'm assuming I can't take a PCR test and then get on a flight home while waiting for the results, right? And if that first PCR is negative, do I still need to stay in Spain to take another one a week later, or am I fine to fly home and do it in the UK? Obviously having to be quarantined in Spain is different to being free to go out and about, but I don't want to spend an extra 10+ days in Spain, with all the extra costs that entails, based on a tiny chance of transmission. Maybe I'm overthinking and they'd let me just fly home, but why on earth isn't it documented clearly? How can people make informed decisions without pertinent information?

I'm just baffled by the fact there's no information about this PCR test requirement and any possible requirement to stay much longer than planned in Spain while undergoing further tests. I'm looking into it because I'm conscientious but I know loads of people who have just been for a few days away and had absolutely no idea that this could have been required. Surely the onus is on Spain to make it crystal clear to people what the process for exposure is? I agree the UK process is silly, but at least people know exactly what they're signing up for! I don't!
I think you should lodge a complaint with

Carolina Darias
Ministra de Sanidad
Calle Sinesio Delgado 8
Madrid, Spain

Please make sure that you tell her how much superior the UK system is inspite of 364.6 cases per 100,000 in the UK compared to 52 cases per 100,000 in Spain.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Whether you see this as a good or a bad thing is irrelevant but whichever way you look at it, Spain is not the place to come to if you want everything to be documented and predictably in line with procedure.

If the uncertaintly of the outcome is a cause for concern then that might be the deciding factor of whethewr to travel or not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Basically, the info given in the first comment, that
I think you should lodge a complaint with

Carolina Darias
Ministra de Sanidad
Calle Sinesio Delgado 8
Madrid, Spain

Please make sure that you tell her how much superior the UK system is inspite of 364.6 cases per 100,000 in the UK compared to 52 cases per 100,000 in Spain.
Where am I saying the UK system is better? I'm saying it's completely unreasonable for a country not to publish crystal clear guidance on covid procedures so people can make informed decisions. Funny how every other country seems to manage it just fine. I'd be perfectly fine with Spain mandating quarantine or shutting the borders if they wanted to - what I have an issue with is the utter lack of clarity and information. I know people who have recently been on holiday in Spain and had absolutely no idea they'd need to do a PCR test and (possibly?) stay an extra week to do another test if exposed on the plane, because it doesn't state that anywhere. Is that not just downright deceitful?

I love that I'm undoubtedly one of the tiny percentage of Brits who would even bother combing the Spanish government websites to try to find this info rather than blindly going on a nice jolly and hoping for the best and I'm getting attacked, but hey. The price for being diligent and conscientious.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Whether you see this as a good or a bad thing is irrelevant but whichever way you look at it, Spain is not the place to come to if you want everything to be documented and predictably in line with procedure.

If the uncertaintly of the outcome is a cause for concern then that might be the deciding factor of whethewr to travel or not.
Well yes, that is true. I've been away too long, I guess, and I find it pretty shocking. I'm imagining that in reality, if I were contacted and I told them my flight home was the next morning, they'd likely tell me to just get on it, but the not knowing is incredibly stressful.

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
You're not getting what I'm asking.

I'm not talking about quarantine, I'm asking whether contact with a positive case would mean being forced to stay in Spain for an extra ten days to undergo required testing. I'm assuming I can't take a PCR test and then get on a flight home while waiting for the results, right? And if that first PCR is negative, do I still need to stay in Spain to take another one a week later, or am I fine to fly home and do it in the UK? Obviously having to be quarantined in Spain is different to being free to go out and about, but I don't want to spend an extra 10+ days in Spain, with all the extra costs that entails, based on a tiny chance of transmission. Maybe I'm overthinking and they'd let me just fly home, but why on earth isn't it documented clearly? How can people make informed decisions without pertinent information?

I'm just baffled by the fact there's no information about this PCR test requirement and any possible requirement to stay much longer than planned in Spain while undergoing further tests. I'm looking into it because I'm conscientious but I know loads of people who have just been for a few days away and had absolutely no idea that this could have been required. Surely the onus is on Spain to make it crystal clear to people what the process for exposure is? I agree the UK process is silly, but at least people know exactly what they're signing up for! I don't!
No. You wouldn't be forced to stay in Spain unless YOU had a positive test. Then of course you would have to, because you would be in quarantine.
You obviously can't travel if you're in quarantine.

That's the case everywhere in the world, I believe.

If YOU don't have covid, you carry on as normal

I can't see how I can say it any more clearly than that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No. You wouldn't be forced to stay in Spain unless YOU had a positive test. Then of course you would have to, because you would be in quarantine.
You obviously can't travel if you're in quarantine.

That's the case everywhere in the world, I believe.

If YOU don't have covid, you carry on as normal

I can't see how I can say it any more clearly than that.
Perhaps I'm overthinking.

From what I understand, the procedure in Spain for close contacts is a PCR test followed by another PCR test a week later, yes?

So what happens if I, a tourist, get a notification on Thursday night and my flight is on Friday morning? Do I need to stay in Spain to do this test, or do I tell them I'm leaving the next day? What happens if I do a test but haven't got the results back before my flight home? Am I allowed to leave? What if I get a negative PCR result but my flight home is before the second test would be? Can I just go back to the UK? Or would I be expected to book another week in Spain and do the second test?

This is what I'm asking... is there a possibility that having to follow the Spanish procedure would mean having to stick around in Spain, or does that only apply to residents? I'm not criticising the process - I'm saying it's much stricter than other countries and it's very unclear to what extent it's followed for people who are only planning to be in the country a few days.

·
Administrator
36,849 Posts
Perhaps I'm overthinking.

From what I understand, the procedure in Spain for close contacts is a PCR test followed by another PCR test a week later, yes?

So what happens if I, a tourist, get a notification on Thursday night and my flight is on Friday morning? Do I need to stay in Spain to do this test, or do I tell them I'm leaving the next day? What happens if I do a test but haven't got the results back before my flight home? Am I allowed to leave? What if I get a negative PCR result but my flight home is before the second test would be? Can I just go back to the UK? Or would I be expected to book another week in Spain and do the second test?

This is what I'm asking... is there a possibility that having to follow the Spanish procedure would mean having to stick around in Spain, or does that only apply to residents? I'm not criticising the process - I'm saying it's much stricter than other countries and it's very unclear to what extent it's followed for people who are only planning to be in the country a few days.
Where did you get the information that there's a PCR test & another a week later - with quarantine in the meantime?

Another member posted that for the vaccinated there is no quarantine in between the two tests - so if your first test were negative & you were leaving the country before that week were up, there's nothing to stop you.

A family member of mine has several times been 'traced' as a close contact & been tested negative. One time they were quarantined because they had similar symptoms to covid that turned out to be something else entirely.

A guest of a friend of mine here in Spain was just two weeks ago traced as being in contact with a positive case on the plane, went to the testing centre, had a negative test (results in about 24 hours) & returned to their home country three days later.

So yes, in your scenario you could leave the day after your first test, or the day after you were traced. If your flight were a day earlier you would already have left, wouldn't you?!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Where did you get the information that there's a PCR test & another a week later - with quarantine in the meantime?

Another member posted that for the vaccinated there is no quarantine in between the two tests - so if your first test were negative & you were leaving the country before that week were up, there's nothing to stop you.

A family member of mine has several times been 'traced' as a close contact & been tested negative. One time they were quarantined because they had similar symptoms to covid that turned out to be something else entirely.

A guest of a friend of mine here in Spain was just two weeks ago traced as being in contact with a positive case on the plane, went to the testing centre, had a negative test (results in about 24 hours) & returned to their home country three days later.

So yes, in your scenario you could leave the day after your first test, or the day after you were traced. If your flight were a day earlier you would already have left, wouldn't you?!
I didn't say anything about quarantine. I asked whether I could leave Spain after one negative result. You seem to think it's obvious that there's nothing to stop me leaving before the week is up, but why is it obvious?

Do I need to stay in Spain while waiting for results of a PCR test, or can I leave? As I asked, if I'm contacted late on Thursday and the flight is on Friday, what do I do? If i'm tested on Thursday evening and the results aren't back by the time of my Friday morning flight, can I just go? If there's no time for a test on Thursday at all, can I just take my early flight on Friday, or would I be expected to postpone it to do a test? Presumably your friend's guest was able to take their planned flight, so the PCR test was just a tiny inconvenience, but what would they have done if their flight had been scheduled for the same evening as they were tested, or the next morning? Would they have been expected to change it to accommodate the test and results, or would "I'm actually leaving the country tonight" override any obligation to do the test or wait for the result?

·
Banned
124 Posts
My wife and I commute back and forth the the U.K. monthly as well as I work across Europe and generally visit at least 3 different countries a month and trans Atlantic for sim checks. You make your assessment and get on with it. I have no issue with travelling. I am exempt from all the testing but my wife isn’t. Now things have eased in terms of testing for her travel has become simple again. We can’t keep our lives on hold for ever….

21 - 30 of 30 Posts