Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I dont know if someone would be able to help me but I am looking to find out what would be the equivalent/translation for counselling/counsellor in French please.
I have looked online but I dont think it is the right meaning.
Thank you.

·
Administrator
51,971 Posts
It may depend a bit on the context. There are counselors (conseillers) in banks who advise the customers - but don't have any particular qualifications. Then there are medical and psychological "counselors" who may require a degree and licensing in order to practice. What sort of counselling are you looking for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may depend a bit on the context. There are counselors (conseillers) in banks who advise the customers - but don't have any particular qualifications. Then there are medical and psychological "counselors" who may require a degree and licensing in order to practice. What sort of counselling are you looking for?
I am looking for the "medical"/therapeutic one but I don't have the required qualification yet. I only have a L3 diploma in counselling skills.I wanted to know the translation so I can look for further training.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think - and I stand to be corrected - that until recently 'counselling' as we understand it in the UK (and perhaps the US) is not well understood in France. Your problem might not be just one of translation, but also of cultural difference. I think things are changing, slowly. Problems that might be addressed by 'counselling' in the UK are probably addressed either by a clinical psychologist, or a mediation service, or even by a GP. Even the term 'psychotherapist' might be difficult.

Even if this is accurate, it's not very helpful, sorry. But my advice would be to widen your research to get a clear understanding of where you might fit in to the whole scheme of the 'helping professions'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think - and I stand to be corrected - that until recently 'counselling' as we understand it in the UK (and perhaps the US) is not well understood in France. Your problem might not be just one of translation, but also of cultural difference. I think things are changing, slowly. Problems that might be addressed by 'counselling' in the UK are probably addressed either by a clinical psychologist, or a mediation service, or even by a GP. Even the term 'psychotherapist' might be difficult.

Even if this is accurate, it's not very helpful, sorry. But my advice would be to widen your research to get a clear understanding of where you might fit in to the whole scheme of the 'helping professions'.
I see. At least I know. This is probably why I couldnt really find a proper translation for it. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Also take a look at the Recommended Reading links at the bottom of this thread because similar questions may have been addressed previously - you never know your luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts