Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
48,516 Posts
I did find the word "fût" in my dictionary and one definition given was "shaft", so I think I can figure that one out. :lol:

The reason they changed my niece's name was because she was taking a lot of abuse from the kids at school. Some kids you would just like to strangle. This brings up another topic. In the US, we have lots of expressions for "kicking the bucket". Got anything like that in France? :noidea:

Jeff
Um, I don't think the cognate is "fût" (it's actually a verb form ending in tre)... but I do believe you've got it...

My favorite expression in French for kicking the bucket is "bouffer les pissenlits" followed closely by "casser sa pipe". Or there's always "perdre le goût du pain" and "remercier son boulanger" which is somehow related....
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Um, I don't think the cognate is "fût" (it's actually a verb form ending in tre)... but I do believe you've got it...

My favorite expression in French for kicking the bucket is "bouffer les pissenlits" followed closely by "casser sa pipe". Or there's always "perdre le goût du pain" and "remercier son boulanger" which is somehow related....
Cheers,
Bev
Bravo, :clap2:. Those were pretty good. ;)

Jeff

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.