Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just spent a weekend in Benidorm and what a gastronomic delight it was. We had some wonderful tapas including the best calamari we have ever eaten, soft, succulent, tasty and not a hint of "rubber"

We had a couple of meals in what could only be described as fine dining restaurants, a little pricey, but boy, you get what you pay for.

My reason for posting though, was that one of these meals included purple potatoes. Until we had seen and eaten them we were ignorant of their very existence, they were delicious and very pleasing on the eye.

Are they widely available in Spain, or just seasonal or grown in particular areas. I do not ever recall seeing them in Mercadona or Consum nor even on a market stall.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
We have just spent a weekend in Benidorm and what a gastronomic delight it was. We had some wonderful tapas including the best calamari we have ever eaten, soft, succulent, tasty and not a hint of "rubber"

We had a couple of meals in what could only be described as fine dining restaurants, a little pricey, but boy, you get what you pay for.

My reason for posting though, was that one of these meals included purple potatoes. Until we had seen and eaten them we were ignorant of their very existence, they were delicious and very pleasing on the eye.

Are they widely available in Spain, or just seasonal or grown in particular areas. I do not ever recall seeing them in Mercadona or Consum nor even on a market stall.
I have never seen them in Spain. I think it's a South American import. I remember seeing different potatoes in Bolivia and Peru.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Strictly speaking all potatoes are South American imports ... the Spanish conquistadors brought them to Europe after they conquered Peru in 1536. They were first grown by the families of Basque sailors.

Aparently there are 4000 types of potato in Peru, all different colours. I'm glad some new varieties are making their way here. I'll see if I can find some for my friend to grow on her allotment.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

I believe they're a French variety https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitelotte - the season generally runs from October to May (but hey, some areas of France have had an early autumn this year). They are one of the revived old-style vegetables. Obviously the restaurant you dined at could source them, but it might be worth keeping an eye out for them in the better food stores.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Carrefour sell them in season and so do some Lidl stores.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Benidorm has many wonderful places to eat. The trouble with living there is that is always tempting to try more!!

Tapas square in the old town is a favourite for many.

Steve

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I do like violet potatoes, and once ordered a dish in what described itelf as a "gastrobar" in Torre del Mar which the menu description said included them. When it arrived, they consisted of 3 slices each about the size of a €2 coin but so thin as to be almost transparent. I really didn't think it was worth the kitchen's trouble to prepare them. The place has closed down now, I wonder why?:)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
And Lidl are now selling them. Had some last night, lovely!!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We had some left over so we gave them to the chickens. They loved them....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts