Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I am a 53-year-old American who became a naturalized Hungarian citizen in February 2020. My wife (an American citizen, also 53) and I arrived in France in mid-October 2020. We reside in a house we purchased in Saint-Béat in 2018 and we intend to make France our permanent residence. We are both retired and do not plan to work anymore (inshallah).

My wife finally received her carte de séjour this week (yeah!) so now we are ready to apply for PUMA coverage. I have read through all of the PUMA-related questions on this forum and it seems like 1) the requirements are periodically changing so information from posts from 2-3 years ago may not be relevant, and 2) it sort of depends on how the government functionary who you deal with interprets and applies the rules. My wife and I have downloaded and completed Form 736 for each of us and are in the process of completing Form 710. Obviously, we are too young to be covered under US Medicare and as a recently naturalized Hungarian citizen, I have never lived or working in Hungary, nor am I enrolled in their healthcare of social security systems. Lastly, because we arrived in the middle of October last year, we have not filed French taxes yet (aside from our property and local taxes).

So with all of that in mind, and tips or suggestions for people who have successfully navigated this process? Also, how do you go about demonstrating your income (note that all of our income now is from investments). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Two things-firstly you need to file taxes in France for the period Oct to Dec 2020 now As this will be your first filing you need to to do it on paper If possible try and make an appointment with your local tax office and see if they can walk through the tax form There are plenty of Us contributors on this site who can give advice as well When you have filed your taxes you will get a certificate with your "Revenu fiscale de Reference" This is in effect your income You can use this to prove your income to CPAM For income before you moved to France do you have any other documentation to show this? As you are not "retraite" but an "inactif" you will need to pay 8% of your total income above I think the min wage to CPAM plus a mutuelle to top up So you need to look at what you are paying now for private cover and sometimes it pays to wait a year if your income for 21/22 is going to be significantly less than 20/21 if that makes sense

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
What statut did you use when applying for your wife's carte de séjour? If you claimed "inactif" then I expect there was some query about your financial resources. That would be what you'd need to submit to CPAM as part of your PUMA registration, I think. Did they ask you for any sort of proof of your financial resources at the time? Bank statements, for example, or even copies of your US tax returns? If that's all you have, then that's what you show them.

It used to be the case that to get a carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national you had to show that you had some form of health cover (both of you, that is) valid in France. (And US Medicare is worthless outside the US anyhow, so wouldn't count even if you had it.) And as Crabtree says, you probably need to retain your private health cover for a while yet. We normally advise that you'll need it for up to the first year just to allow for the usual administrative processes.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You can do an attestation sur l'honneur for income streams for which you have no documentation. You don't need to have made a French income tax declaration (well, unless you should have done so last year, which is not the case for the OP, and of course you should make the declaration for last year by the due date). You will need to have other health insurance in place before applying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't help the OP, but I will eventually (next year ) be in almost the same situation. I am an American/Italian dual and my wife is "only" American (actually, she's more European than I am as she was born and spent half her life in Ukraine!).

We plan to use my pension statements, bank and credit union CDs and SS projection. We are way over the SMIC minimum so I don't really expect any grief (on paper).

Did the prefecture give your wife a one year or five year CdS?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, Mrs. SDHokie here. I received a 1-year CDS. GOOD LUCK, 🍀
This may be controversial, but it is fairly clear in EU FOM language that the spouse of an EU citizen is entitled to an initial 5 year CdS. It differs from the French dictat which states something like "up to 5 years, or as long as the EU citizen expects to live in France". I have heard that some Prefectures give five years, but (I think) most one year. I ran the question past the EU SOLVIT folks and they seem to be willing to get involved and push back on the Prefecture. In some cases, the Prefecture relents and reissues for 5 years. I can give you details if you are interested in pursuing this. I know I will as I don't want my wife (and ME) to go through that every year (for NO reason).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts