Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Really? I didn't think they charged anyone for entry. At least not any of my non-crew friends...
They don't charge females for entry, and the two instances I went there, I saw them letting western males go in without charging them. I don't know if they were regulars, or had a special deal.
My friends told me that Rockbottom do discriminate, but I have not really bothered after the first two times.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Rock Bottom try to discourage men from the Indian sub-continent from entering, they don't bother anyone else.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Rock Bottom try to discourage men from the Indian sub-continent from entering, they don't bother anyone else.
Great then. I can spend my money somewhere else (which I do).

I also hope that they also get unmentionable diseases in their nether regions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Racism in the UAE is nothing new. I used to be stopped all the time at bars and clubs just because of my skin colour. But the moment I produced my ID tht showed I'm British and pulled up in a Porsche... It was "welcome sir, hope you have a great evening!" the better the club or bar, and frequented by western expats, the harder it is to get in. I enquired at many hotels about the so called "cover charge", it is not a direct hotel cost and should be illegal.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My Bar List (so far)

The Observatory - Marriott Hotel, Marina
A decent hotel bar with a good happy hour, bar food and excellent view, I like it because it is walking distance to The Torch.

The Underground - Haptoor Grand, Marina
A decent hotel bar and pub food, pool tables. I don't like the actual "bar", it is sort of in two parts and doesn't lend itself to a single person sitting down to grab a pint or a meal so I always get a table.

McGettigan's Irish Bar - Bonnington Hotel, JLT
A nice bar with outside seating during the cool months they convert to an AC cooled tent in the summer. I've liked the food when I have eaten there and I like the bar area as well.

Jebel Ali Club - Near Ibn Battuta Mall, Jebel Ali
Kinda a throw back to the old times, I think this bar was here during my last stay in the early 90's. I haven't tried much of the the food but they do have a happy hour and outside seating.

Barasti - Le Meridian, Marina
Beach bar with large outside area, live sports activities and a beach. I look forward to spending more time here when it cools down a bit.

Jockey's - Panorama Hotel, Bur Dubai
Meat market, I didn't get to spend much time here but I am sure I will be back.

Marine's Bar - Seaview Hotel, Bur Dubai
Meat market with a decent Filipino band that I enjoy. How can you go wrong with four hot lead vocalists?

York Club - York International Hotel, Bur Dubai
Meat market with a band that is "OK", pool tables.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Stables is 25/pint. 20 to 8.00pm

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jockey's - Panorama Hotel, Bur Dubai
Meat market, I didn't get to spend much time here but I am sure I will be back.
I have never seen anyone eating anything from behind the bar ;-)

Or from in front of the bar just I have heard.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts