Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I am planning to marry my French fiancé here in the US at the end of September. We plan to move to France after the marriage. I will send in the paperwork, will stay with him for 90 days and then return to wait for my Livret and so I can apply for my Spouse Visa. I live in California so my consulate is the one in San Francisco, but I will send all of the information for my marriage to receive the Livret de Famille to the Los Angeles Consulate.

I just recently found out about the publication of the bans. I thought it was just a procedure in France. As you know, september is not far away, and I would like to know if it is still possible to get married here without publication the bans? Will our marriage be rejected in France? Will it not be possible for me to apply for the Spouse visa in the future? Will I be able to receive the Livret?

From the information I have gathered so far, not publishing the bans just means that it will take longer to receive the livret de famille (3-6 months). Is this the only downside to not publishing the bans before the marriage, or is it necessary?
Can they do something drastic like refusing to register the marriage?

Has anyone had experience with any of this?? I have tried contacting the LA consulate, but sadly they have not yet responded.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you so much!

Stephanie

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
We've had a number of folks through here who got tripped up by the banns thing. But it's only the beginning of September - definitely get in touch with the consulate ASAP to ask about publishing the banns now. (They only have to be posted for 10 days - and I think they now do the actual posting at the consulate.)

It's not a matter of being rejected for anything, but the consulate can really delay things if you don't do things their way. (Get used to it - it's the way things are in France.) https://losangeles.consulfrance.org/spip.php?article2733

It looks like you may be able to simply submit everything by e-mail (not sure of that) and if you get stuff to them next week, it shouldn't be a real problem. Even if they only mail you back your certificate or whatever after you leave for France, you'll have it when you return to apply for the livret de famille and your spouse visa.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, I asked my husband and I've added the answers to your questions below.

I just recently found out about the publication of the bans. I thought it was just a procedure in France. As you know, september is not far away, and I would like to know if it is still possible to get married here without publication the bans?
>Yes.
Will our marriage be rejected in France?
>Most likely not.
Will it not be possible for me to apply for the Spouse visa in the future?
>Most likely not.
Will I be able to receive the Livret?
>Likely yes.

From the information I have gathered so far, not publishing the bans just means that it will take longer to receive the livret de famille (3-6 months). Is this the only downside to not publishing the bans before the marriage, or is it necessary?
>Likely yes.
Can they do something drastic like refusing to register the marriage?
>Likely no.

Depending on when the marriage is, you can possibly still go through the process in the consulate because they are pretty fast and it's still worth it to try it. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts