Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am new to this forum and it's good to be here!

I am an experienced commissioning book editor based in London and am seriously considering a temperorary move to Spain as I adore the country, climate, food and people in the future. I speak very little Spanish but have heard that there are a number of English language publishers in Spain. Would anyone know what sites that are to be recommended?

I also have over ten years' experience working on magazines.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Very best wishes,

Jay

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Dear All,

I am an experienced commissioning book editor based in London and am seriously considering a temperorary move to Spain as I adore the country, climate, food and people in the future. I speak very little Spanish but have heard that there are a number of English language publishers in Spain. Would anyone know what sites that are to be recommended?

Very best wishes,

Jay

That's a cue for Steve Hall, isn't it??????

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
That's a cue for Steve Hall, isn't it??????
He's not around at the mo, think he's driving back from Sweden??? However, I know what he'll say. If its newspapers, magazines etc, then there is absolutely no money in it. Most are written, edited and produced by their owners, who also have other jobs to subsidise their income and a lot have gone bust!!! Funnily enough I had this conversation with Steve a while ago when I was looking for a magazine to advertise in!

However, maybe you could formulate a business plan and get in and help one of these publications to pick up and become successful????? No money to begin with, but with time and effort, you amy turn things around?!

The Sur in English is the only one I can think of "off the top of my head" and thats produced by Spanish workers and simply translated into english. As for book publications, proof reading, editing... I guess thats gonna be "in country" so spain would have spanish written books??

Jo xxxx

·
Administrator
36,219 Posts
Dear All,

Very best wishes,

Jay
is it not possible to work via the internet?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If its newspapers, magazines etc, then there is absolutely no money in it. Most are written, edited and produced by their owners, who also have other jobs to subsidise their income and a lot have gone bust!!!

The Sur in English is the only one I can think of "off the top of my head" and thats produced by Spanish workers and simply translated into english. As for book publications, proof reading, editing... I guess thats gonna be "in country" so spain would have spanish written books??

Jo xxxx
Hi Jay,

I have to say I agree about there being no money in newspapers and magazines. And, as mentioned above, although there are a few English language publications, they normally want you to speak Spanish to be able to communicate with the local community and within the industry here. I know that is the case with the Sur In English and also the Euro Weekly news, which was advertising this week for an Editorial Co-ordinator and wanted someone who was bilingual.

In terms of freelance work, if you can get any, most publishers pay a pittance. In that respect, I think you would be better off trying to get freelance work from a UK publisher that you can do from home via the internet. From what I can gather, print journalists here are not paid anything like the amount they can earn in the UK.

I dont know about English language book publishers in Spain but there is an English language book distributors called Bookworld Espana which has several English language bookshops on the Costa Del Sol, possibly elsewhere but not sure.

However, maybe Madrid has some English language publishers that print English language books for academic purposes. I teach English here and I have a students book which was originally published in the UK but has been reprinted in Spain with Spanish translations added, so it maybe worth giving them a call. Mind you, once again they would probably want someone bilingual, but they may be interested in someone who could source appropriate English language material. (They are called Grupo Editorial Bruno).

Good luck whatever you decide.

Caz.I

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Had lunch with three friends in Murcia - a journo, a photographer and a videographer. Everything imploding - the number of, size of and readership of the expat publications.

Much of what is done is done on contras. If you do speak Spanish "Intercambio" is a word you will know, if you don't it is a word you will learn.

Sorry not to be more positive.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dear All,

Very best wishes,

Jay
Hi Jay,
The world is your oyster when it comes to "where do I want to live" - in theory.
As a freelancer you could live anywhere and work for several UK based companies and avoid the mound of the hound of the baskervilles which is the Spanish market today.

There are a lot of freelance contact sites on the net. Try as many as you need to see what you could do without having to try and make a go of it with a Spanish media - unless of course you can end up working for the likes of Prisa, i.e. the big guns - but not likely without Spanish, which you wont need with the UK and American markets available online. I know the American market will be different when you get down to the detail in the language and practices, but who knows?

Hot Home Business: Proofreader/Copy Editor

Copy Editing Work from Home - Work at Home Jobs, Work from Home Jobs

Best of luck,
Xose

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi Jay,
The world is your oyster when it comes to "where do I want to live" - in theory.
As a freelancer you could live anywhere and work for several UK based companies and avoid the mound of the hound of the baskervilles which is the Spanish market today.

There are a lot of freelance contact sites on the net. Try as many as you need to see what you could do without having to try and make a go of it with a Spanish media - unless of course you can end up working for the likes of Prisa, i.e. the big guns - but not likely without Spanish, which you wont need with the UK and American markets available online. I know the American market will be different when you get down to the detail in the language and practices, but who knows?

Hot Home Business: Proofreader/Copy Editor

Copy Editing Work from Home - Work at Home Jobs, Work from Home Jobs

Best of luck,
Xose
My ex husband is a freelance sub editor, journalist and author for major organisations and newspapers in the UK. I know that altho he works from home, he is required to visit their offices 3 or 4 times a month and is very much tied to the UK. According to him ( and I guess he wouldnt necessarily tell me the truth), the pay is appalling, certainly not enough to live on - not sure I believe a word tho!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My ex husband is a freelance sub editor, journalist and author for major organisations and newspapers in the UK. I know that altho he works from home, he is required to visit their offices 3 or 4 times a month and is very much tied to the UK. According to him ( and I guess he wouldnt necessarily tell me the truth), the pay is appalling, certainly not enough to live on - not sure I believe a word tho!

Jo xxx

No, don't believe him. I used to work as a freelance sub editor in the UK and the pay certainly wasn't appalling - reasonably good, actually - and compared to wages round here (in Andalucia) would probably be considered a great salary! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
No, don't believe him. I used to work as a freelance sub editor in the UK and the pay certainly wasn't appalling - reasonably good, actually - and compared to wages round here (in Andalucia) would probably be considered a great salary! :rolleyes:
yeah, well I've kinda guessed that over years of trying to extract maintenance out of him!! But he's still adamant that he's as poor as a church mouse, eventho he got a fairly hefty redundancy from the Telegraph a few of years ago - and now works for them as a freelance, so nowt actually changed accept he no longer has to travel to London everyday and does the same job from home, along with a few other very poorly paid commisions!!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
It may be dead but they say they are more than doubling their print-run. Editorial content will be prostituted to the whims of the advertisers.......again
There used to be a limit to the ammount of ads per paper and the sale price didnt cover the cost of anything, more a token gesture!

Like this forum and the advertising rules on here, ads are boring and too many of them dont make fun reading. Eventually too many ads reduce readership!

Things change and progress, sometimes for the better sometimes not, but "theres nowt as permenant as change"

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Dear All,

Very best wishes,

Jay

Have just seen this. Seems to go against everything we've been saying ...
Costa Link Magazine - Costa del Sol Jobs

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Have just seen this. Seems to go against everything we've been saying ...
Costa Link Magazine - Costa del Sol Jobs
There are ALWAYS commission-only advertising re vacancies. I can put anybody in touch with two companies who permanently interview.

What there is not is contract/employment vacancies.

OOps, three companies - just thought of another!

Have a great week guys

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
There are ALWAYS commission-only advertising re vacancies. I can put anybody in touch with two companies who permanently interview.

What there is not is contract/employment vacancies.

OOps, three companies - just thought of another!

Have a great week guys
I just meant that it says it's in expansion...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.