Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im new here and have a question about the publication of banns. I've recently got married in Australia (husband is French) and did not read 'proof of marriage' on the checklist properly for <long stay visa spouse of a french national> ive read the above and clicked on the link. I am wondering if I do the 1st step 'prior to the celebration of the wedding' even though we're already married? Or just go to step 2? I couldn't find any other threads with a similar expreience.

The lady at the consulate told me that my huband needs to go on the website to the above link and that's it.
I wish there was a 'learn more' on the proof of marriage part. And would anyone know how long it would take for my husbands part to be processed etc?
I was told 2-3 months (hoping its not true and its a bit quicker than that) I was hoping to apply for the spouse visa before I go over for the second wedding in Dec.

Any help/advice is appreciated :)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi all,

Im new here and have a question about the publication of banns. I've recently got married in Australia (husband is French) and did not read 'proof of marriage' on the checklist properly for <long stay visa spouse of a french national> ive read the above and clicked on the link. I am wondering if I do the 1st step 'prior to the celebration of the wedding' even though we're already married? Or just go to step 2? I couldn't find any other threads with a similar expreience.

The lady at the consulate told me that my huband needs to go on the website to the above link and that's it.
I wish there was a 'learn more' on the proof of marriage part. And would anyone know how long it would take for my husbands part to be processed etc?
I was told 2-3 months (hoping its not true and its a bit quicker than that) I was hoping to apply for the spouse visa before I go over for the second wedding in Dec.

Any help/advice is appreciated :)
I hope by 'second wedding' you mean just some kind of celebration and not an actual wedding. France will recognise your Australian marriage. If you did not have banns published via the French Consulate in Australia, it will take a little longer for the marriage to be registered in France so that you can received your Livret de Famille and apply for your spouse visa. Can't give you a timeframe, though, as your husband's birth certificate will have to be updated by the commune where he was born and his birth registered (France updates birth certificates with marriages, divorces etc).

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
Have moved your query out into a thread of your own in the hope of flagging down someone who has done this and can offer some "real life experience." But you're far from the first person to be in this situation - so there IS a solution.

I suppose the key thing for the moment is where is your husband? If he's living in Australia, then he needs to resolve this with the Consulate and simply ask them for their advice, seeing as where you are already married and didn't publish the banns beforehand. (It really does help to simply throw oneself on the mercy of whoever they're speaking to and apologize for having omitted the step - whether or not you mean it.)

But from the folks we've had through here, it does appear that the Sydney consulate is particularly picky about this step - though it is far from the only consulate that can get sticky about it all.

As I understand it, if your husband was resident in Australia prior to your wedding, it may well be possible to post the banns after the fact at the Consulate and be done with it. If it has to be done in France (i.e. because your husband was living in France up until the wedding and has returned there), he may want to contact the consulate himself to understand exactly what they will accept as "proof" of whatever he needs to do back home. (Posting the banns is, I think, only 10 days in France. In some countries it is longer.)

But yes, it really can take 2 to 3 months once all the paperwork has gone in for the consulate to deliver your livret de famille. We've had at least one couple through here where it took longer (apparently due to complications). You may very well want to put your party or celebration in France on hold until you've gotten the paperwork out of the way. But as EH says, it's not a second wedding as such. (Be thankful for that - getting married as a foreigner in France takes lots of "exotic" paperwork.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope by 'second wedding' you mean just some kind of celebration and not an actual wedding. France will recognise your Australian marriage. If you did not have banns published via the French Consulate in Australia, it will take a little longer for the marriage to be registered in France so that you can received your Livret de Famille and apply for your spouse visa. Can't give you a timeframe, though, as your husband's birth certificate will have to be updated by the commune where he was born and his birth registered (France updates birth certificates with marriages, divorces etc).
Thank you for replying and yes the second wedding is just a celebration :)

Ok, so I just want to clarify. My husband needs to go to the commune where he was born and notify them that he got married abroad (I give him our marriage certificate for proof?) Then he can submit the paperwork 'mariage devant les autorités australienne ou papouasiennes' step 1 and 2?

Cheers

·
Administrator
53,162 Posts
Thank you for replying and yes the second wedding is just a celebration :)

Ok, so I just want to clarify. My husband needs to go to the commune where he was born and notify them that he got married abroad (I give him our marriage certificate for proof?) Then he can submit the paperwork 'mariage devant les autorités australienne ou papouasiennes' step 1 and 2?

Cheers
I'm afraid nothing in French administration is that simple. He needs to contact the French Consulate in Sydney to ask them what they want him to do. He can't just post the banns (or have them posted) on his own. And technically, they should have been posted in the town where he was residing at the time of the marriage (and at the same time, I think they post the banns at the consulate in Sidney as your place of residence).

It's only for the Livret de Famille that the Consulate has to notify the officials in the town where he was born. (Don't worry - this is far from the most confusing thing about French bureaucracy.)

But if you were married in Australia, it's the Sydney Consulate that is calling the shots here and has to request any posting of the banns.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have moved your query out into a thread of your own in the hope of flagging down someone who has done this and can offer some "real life experience." But you're far from the first person to be in this situation - so there IS a solution.

I suppose the key thing for the moment is where is your husband? If he's living in Australia, then he needs to resolve this with the Consulate and simply ask them for their advice, seeing as where you are already married and didn't publish the banns beforehand. (It really does help to simply throw oneself on the mercy of whoever they're speaking to and apologize for having omitted the step - whether or not you mean it.)

But from the folks we've had through here, it does appear that the Sydney consulate is particularly picky about this step - though it is far from the only consulate that can get sticky about it all.

As I understand it, if your husband was resident in Australia prior to your wedding, it may well be possible to post the banns after the fact at the Consulate and be done with it. If it has to be done in France (i.e. because your husband was living in France up until the wedding and has returned there), he may want to contact the consulate himself to understand exactly what they will accept as "proof" of whatever he needs to do back home. (Posting the banns is, I think, only 10 days in France. In some countries it is longer.)

But yes, it really can take 2 to 3 months once all the paperwork has gone in for the consulate to deliver your livret de famille. We've had at least one couple through here where it took longer (apparently due to complications). You may very well want to put your party or celebration in France on hold until you've gotten the paperwork out of the way. But as EH says, it's not a second wedding as such. (Be thankful for that - getting married as a foreigner in France takes lots of "exotic" paperwork.)
Cheers,
Bev
Thank you for the info. My husband is currently in France and has never been a resident in Australia (only been here for vacation). I will get him to call tomorrow to ask exactly what he needs to do.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid nothing in French administration is that simple. He needs to contact the French Consulate in Sydney to ask them what they want him to do. He can't just post the banns (or have them posted) on his own. And technically, they should have been posted in the town where he was residing at the time of the marriage (and at the same time, I think they post the banns at the consulate in Sidney as your place of residence).

It's only for the Livret de Famille that the Consulate has to notify the officials in the town where he was born. (Don't worry - this is far from the most confusing thing about French bureaucracy.)

But if you were married in Australia, it's the Sydney Consulate that is calling the shots here and has to request any posting of the banns.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks again for the info. Just another quick question about putting the celebration on hold.. I can still go over on a tourist visa do the party etc then come back to sydney and sort it out?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
If the marriage took place in Australia, then it's the Sydney Consulate that has to do all the administration, including getting the commune to update the birth certificate (it wasn't always so, but it definitely is now).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.