Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am more interested in pregnancy care than the actual birth at the moment as I have found that a little easier to find things out about and it also seems a long way away!

I have seen my family doctor and he has referred me to the Obgyn at our local hospital. I presumed at this first appointment that I would have a scan as my family doctor was insistent that if the appointment was after I should be 12 weeks I should insist on having it between 8&12 weeks. As things happen I will be 9weeks at my appointment tomorrow but in my paperwork that I have just dragged out very little is mentioned and certainly nothing about a scan/full bladder etc. Can anybody tell me whether a scan is likely at this appointment.

This is my 3rd pregnancy & child but my first in Spain. How often am I likely to be seen? When are routine scans given? Are they really as "strict" on weight gain as I have been led to believe?

Any experiences much appreciated - thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The problem is that different regions offer different care. Where we are the few people I know who have had children here have had nothing but praise for the care they were given. I don't think scans are given as often as you would expect from the NHS but again that might vary region to region. One hospital here refuses to allow the husband/partner into the theatre for a C Section but another hospital does. I think research is the key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I am researching it's just so hard to find info about the antenatal stuff rather than the birth.

In the interest of clarity for other readers I should add that I am in Madrid (I can't seem to edit my post or thread title to do this.)

·
Administrator
36,516 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I am researching it's just so hard to find info about the antenatal stuff rather than the birth.

In the interest of clarity for other readers I should add that I am in Madrid (I can't seem to edit my post or thread title to do this.)

I can :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In case anybody else searches for this...

My first appointment today (9weeks) consisted of history taking, height, weight, blood pressure and a short ultrasound scan (internal probe).

Appt booked for next week for blood tests and urinalysis

Appt booked in 3 weeks for 12 week scan

Appt booked in 1 month for check up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts