Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have read many threads that deal with schools in dubai and how we should negotiate for more per/month depending on how many children we have etc. Other than the language barrier, is there any reason why I shouldn't put my kids in a public school there? Sure it will be hard at first but they will learn the language quickly as they have not started school yet and we speak arabic to them at home so they understand it a little. Also with that in mind I can accept a lower paying job maybe something around 20000AED p/m?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello I have read many threads that deal with schools in dubai and how we should negotiate for more per/month depending on how many children we have etc. Other than the language barrier, is there any reason why I shouldn't put my kids in a public school there? Sure it will be hard at first but they will learn the language quickly as they have not started school yet and we speak arabic to them at home so they understand it a little. Also with that in mind I can accept a lower paying job maybe something around 20000AED p/m?

Thanks for your input.
Not sure, but you may have to be Emirati to go to the government schools.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understanding Arabic little and being fluent makes a big difference ...
Even people living in arabic countries are not fluent in arabic. I lived in the US almost all my life and speak better arabic than people from over there. My kids will not have a problem in an all arabic school. My question was will there be any other reason "other than language barrier" for my kids not to attend an arabic school? It seems like justlooking has answered that for me though. I'll have to look into to it and see if they only allow Emaratees to attend.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Speaking Arabic isn't what prevents most expats from using the local schools. Local schools are not known for having good standards of instruction and are not up to US or UK standards of instruction. The school culture will be heavily geared towards not just Arabs but GCC Arabs and that's not to everyone's taste.

The trend in recent years is more and more Emirati families turning to the private sector (although most international schools are hardly private given that they're owned by for-profit companies). I think somewhere around 40% of Emirati children are in the fee-paying sector.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with u tallyho .... Even in my kids school .. Gems Wellington I have seen lot of emiratis and Arab children but I have even observed one more thing that is whenever there is some sort of parental engagement activities the parents of these kids do not mingle around with anyone and they tend to prefer sitting around with other Arab parents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.