Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Following is the strategy that I used in my PTE.
Luckily, I was able to score L-90,R-90,S-88,W-87 in my first attempt.:)
I hope these tips will help you.

Speaking - As mentioned by many people, I clicked the next button as soon as I finished my talk. In describe image, I did not stammer or use fillers at all. Also, I practiced every day and described at least 10 images daily. Repeat sentence is slightly easier in the exam as compared to the mocks and other exercises on different forums.

Reading - This a race against time. The trick is here to concentrate only on the current question and try to complete in 80-85 seconds. The order of questions is such that we tend to waste more time in Multiple choice singe answer, Multiple choice multiple answers and reorder paragraphs. The easiest questions are Fill in the blanks. In fill in the blanks, I almost always eliminated the incorrect options. Also, collocation can be improved by reading. My advice - read aloud an English newspaper in front of the mirror and imagine that you are a news anchor. This helps reading aloud as well as speaking.

Writing - Summarize written text is tricky and can be improved by practice. For essay, prepare a format and 2-3 generic sentences that can be used in any essay on any topic. Make sure the grammar is correct. Also, never submit any written task without reviewing it twice and checking spellings.

Listening - In my opinion, this is the easiest section and can be excelled at by watching YouTube videos and movies. First begin with subtitles and then slowly advance to without subtitles. For the different types of questions, practice is the key and time management is crucial.

Also, one more suggestion is that attempt 8-10 complete exams of 3 hours each so that you get habituated to the length of the exam. If not done, some people get bored in 1 hr.

Hope this helps. Best Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you share some tips for retell lecture? Did you follow any particular template?
Hi,
I did not use any template for retell lecture, but did include phrases like 'the lecture talks about' and 'the speaker tells\explains that'.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Could you share some tips for retell lecture? Did you follow any particular template?
Taking notes is very important.
I followed a simple process as explained below for this task.
For example - I got a lecture regarding Globalisation.
I started making notes as follows

Globalisation
|
v
Definition
|
v
Australia is a big importer of goods
|
v
Finally, Good ties with Japan and China
|
v
87% Electronics
|
v
Clothes from Bangladesh
32%

I started by saying that the "The lecturer/speaker talked about globalisation, its definition and various effects of globalisation on Australia as an importer. Australia has been able to build up good ties with Japan and China after a really long time. 87% of the electronic products being imported in Australia are being brought up from China and Japan whereas the major exporter of clothing products to Australia was Bangladesh contributing 32% to Australia's clothing needs.

I hope this makes it clear. It is pretty easy if you make notes of key points, stats, people, countries, etc. After some practice you'll able to score full marks for content in "Retell Lectures".
One more important thing to note is that the lecture recordings are really long. If you make notes of all the content from the lecture, you'll end up utilising all the time speaking on the topic. This is "Tried and Tested". I ran out of time the first time I gave PTE, just because I made notes of the whole lecture and had so much to speak about. So, make notes of 5-6 important statements from the lecture instead of noting everything.

Reactions: fgsmail and huggies

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi All,
Following is the strategy that I used in my PTE.
Luckily, I was able to score L-90,R-90,S-88,W-87 in my first attempt.:)
I hope these tips will help you.

Speaking - As mentioned by many people, I clicked the next button as soon as I finished my talk. In describe image, I did not stammer or use fillers at all. Also, I practiced every day and described at least 10 images daily. Repeat sentence is slightly easier in the exam as compared to the mocks and other exercises on different forums.

Reading - This a race against time. The trick is here to concentrate only on the current question and try to complete in 80-85 seconds. The order of questions is such that we tend to waste more time in Multiple choice singe answer, Multiple choice multiple answers and reorder paragraphs. The easiest questions are Fill in the blanks. In fill in the blanks, I almost always eliminated the incorrect options. Also, collocation can be improved by reading. My advice - read aloud an English newspaper in front of the mirror and imagine that you are a news anchor. This helps reading aloud as well as speaking.

Writing - Summarize written text is tricky and can be improved by practice. For essay, prepare a format and 2-3 generic sentences that can be used in any essay on any topic. Make sure the grammar is correct. Also, never submit any written task without reviewing it twice and checking spellings.

Listening - In my opinion, this is the easiest section and can be excelled at by watching YouTube videos and movies. First begin with subtitles and then slowly advance to without subtitles. For the different types of questions, practice is the key and time management is crucial.

Also, one more suggestion is that attempt 8-10 complete exams of 3 hours each so that you get habituated to the length of the exam. If not done, some people get bored in 1 hr.

Hope this helps. Best Luck.
Congratulations Luhar, and Thanks for giving back to the community.

I have couple of questions.

1. How long did you prepare and how many hours a day? Did you take mock tests?
2. On a scale of 1 to 10 , How would you rate yourself in English (before this exam), 1 being the least and 10 being the highest.

Thank you once again, and all the best for your future in Oz.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi people,

I'm Shekhar Mehta and I have a basic English skills. I gave my PTE examination on 18th September and got my result on 21st September, 2017. I scored S-90 W-81 R-83 L-81 with overall score of 84. The paper was too long compared to my earlier attempt in the month of April, 2017 where my requirement was a score of 65 in each module. Here are few tips which can help you in getting a score of 79 plus for each task. These tips helped me a lot.

Speaking - Speed and fluency matters the most along with pronunciation. The more the pauses, the lower the score you will achieve. So, even if your content is irrelavant on one or two tasks it doesn't matter as far as your fluency and pronunciation is good. You will score 90 for sure as it happened in my case as well.

Writing:

SWT should be written in 35-45 Words with connectors and using Complex Sentence.

Essay should be written with more than 275 words. This will give you a perfect 90 in written discourse.

Reading:

Time Management + Concentration

Blanks have the highest points so try to get them as many correct as you can.

Multiple choice multiple answers - Don't choose more than one if you aren't sure as it has a negative mark. I got 2 question and I just marked 1 answer for each question.

Listening:

SST 68-70 W + Content+ Write from Dictation+ Blanks.

Write from Dictation is THE MOST IMPORTANT task of the test. Get it 100% correct. 1 word = 1 point.

I gave few mock tests but I felt the Gold Kit from Pearson helped me a lot which I attempted before my final exam. Read news papers and Journals which will help you in improving reading skills and use of vocabs in writing tasks. Overall, your final score depends on all the 4 modules. So, even if you are weak in reading section for example if you can't get your highlight summary or choose single answer incorrect you can still make up with other tasks. Read aloud sets up the pattern to analyse your reading so get it perfect abd you will be through even if you make minor mistakes in your reading module. This is one of an example which is relevant for all the different tasks.

So, Practice hard and attempt 8 to 10 tests inclusive of Gold Kit from Pearson and you will get your target score!

Be calm, focused and relaxed.

Best of luck people.
??????

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi St_141,

We get only 2 mock tests in Gold kit. Where did you get the remaining mock tests?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi St_141,

We get only 2 mock tests in Gold kit. Where did you get the remaining mock tests?
Hi,
I bought the PTE voucher and it came with 24 free mock tests. They were not evaluated, but gave a good experience of the actual exam and the practice to sit for around 3 hours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mock vs Real Test

I got to know a friend who gave the mock PTE scored test and found the real exam more difficult.:(
Has anyone got a similar experience?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got to know a friend who gave the mock PTE scored test and found the real exam more difficult.:(
Has anyone got a similar experience?
Nope. In my case, the actual exam was easier than mock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts