Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am new to this forum. I gave my PTE Exam twice on May 6 2015 and May 22 2015. I need 65 in each. My scores are L-79, R-68,S-64,W-78 & L-74, R-69,S-51,W-90 respectively. I am stuck only due to speaking. I had done all preparation and my trainer said I have no issues getting 65 in speaking. However, even when my second attempt for speaking was better than my first attempt, I got less scores 51 compared to 64 last time.

I am feeling very confused as my trainer says I have no problem with my oral fluency and pronunciation where I am getting less scores. Can anyone who has given PTE Academic exam share their strategy on how they studied for speaking section to clear with good marks? It would be great if someone can suggest me on what I should do next.

Please, help.

Thanks,
Ruparti.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My spouse gave PTE-A exam on 29th May last Friday. She said there was lots of chaos in the room during speaking section and despite of good pronounciation she scored very less in Speaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
concentrate punctuations/intonations in read aloud part. read out loud once and understand the sense of given paragraph before reading it again for scoring.
prepare exclusively for image explanation part i.e describing graphs, use appropriate words for each graphs like pie/bar chart, line graph or process diagram. google 'IELTS graph example' then make use of those websites.
Sharpen the listening skills as much as you can and write down the words as you listen in retell lecture section.then frame the sentence on your own using the words you just noted along with the image in the screen.
listen more and more english news channels or radio and make sure you can follow each and every word they speak. it helps you in repeat the sentence part.
i had the same problem, failed twice just becoz of speaking. now i cleared the exam after following the tips i said above. hope it helps you as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Speaking-- unusually low score

Hello Lovely people,

I am in desperate need of help!!!

I had written my PTE-Academic exam at the Pearson Professional Centers- Sydney, Australia. Below are my scores.

Listening- 80
Reading- 73
Speaking-35
Writing- 90

To my extreme shock and disappointment I had only secured a score of 35 which is practically impossible for me to get. It doesn't even qualify as a low score And the irony is that my speaking went exceptionally well in the exam. I am almost a 100% sure there has been a technical issue like my voice not being recorded or something else that I am not aware of. To further point about my speaking skills I had scored a 30/30 on TOEFL IBT speaking and a 9/9 on Speaking in IELTS.

And then I tried contacting customer service and honestly, the worst customer service ever. They weren't even able to understand what I was asking for and were rather rude on the phone. The only thing they kept repeating was that I have to take the test again. But how can I do that without knowing what the issue was in the first place? What if this technical issue happens again? And they told me I couldn't apply for a re-evaluation because I had accidentally chosen to send the scores to DIBP. The instruction that I cant apply for a re-evaluation if I chose that wasn't provided in the website. Again, not a fault of my own.

But after analysis and pondering about what might have gone wrong I have come to a conclusion which I think may or may not be the issue. For example in the "read aloud" section after I complete speaking I immediately press Next and go to the next question. This is what I did for 'read aloud' ,'answer short question' and 'repeat sentence'. And this was exactly the instructions provided. But after seeing my results I have a feeling that none of my answers in these sections got recorded. May be I had to wait for the recording to say completed before I click the 'Next' button. And I also feel that the slightly low score in the reading section is because my "read aloud" answers probably weren't recorded and some reading skills are also assessed in the section. Again this is only a thought. If this is the case, it has not been mentioned under any instructions, which is not a fault of my own.

I am completely confused. I consider myself to be as good as a native speaker and its ridiculous to get such a low score. I emailed them and am still awaiting a response. Have anyone else faced such an issue. Please advise what best I can do now. I am devastated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hello Lovely people,

I had written my PTE-Academic exam at the Pearson Professional Centers- Sydney, Australia. Below are my scores.

Listening- 80
Reading- 73
Speaking-35
Writing- 90

To my extreme shock and disappointment I had only secured a score of 35 which is practically impossible for me to get. It doesn't even qualify as a low score And the irony is that my speaking went exceptionally well in the exam. I am almost a 100% sure there has been a technical issue like my voice not being recorded or something else that I am not aware of. To further point about my speaking skills I had scored a 30/30 on TOEFL IBT speaking and a 9/9 on Speaking in IELTS.

And then I tried contacting customer service and honestly, the worst customer service ever. They weren't even able to understand what I was asking for and were rather rude on the phone. The only thing they kept repeating was that I have to take the test again. But how can I do that without knowing what the issue was in the first place? What if this technical issue happens again? And they told me I couldn't apply for a re-evaluation because I had accidentally chosen to send the scores to DIBP. The instruction that I cant apply for a re-evaluation if I chose that wasn't provided in the website. Again, not a fault of my own.

But after analysis and pondering about what might have gone wrong I have come to a conclusion which I think may or may not be the issue. For example in the "read aloud" section after I complete speaking I immediately press Next and go to the next question. This is what I did for 'read aloud' ,'answer short question' and 'repeat sentence'. And this was exactly the instructions provided. But after seeing my results I have a feeling that none of my answers in these sections got recorded. May be I had to wait for the recording to say completed before I click the 'Next' button. And I also feel that the slightly low score in the reading section is because my "read aloud" answers probably weren't recorded and some reading skills are also assessed in the section. Again this is only a thought. If this is the case, it has not been mentioned under any instructions, which is not a fault of my own.

I am completely confused. I consider myself to be as good as a native speaker and its ridiculous to get such a low score. I emailed them and am still awaiting a response. Have anyone else faced such an issue. Please advise what best I can do now. I am devastated!

Thank you!
If I were you, I would be very frustrated.... Feel sorry for you mate. :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hello Steiger. Do you happen to know what would have wrong technically with my speaking test? any guesses??
May be position of the mic wrt to your mouth was not right. Did you test the mic before starting the exam?

Second, could be connection of the instrument with CPU wasnt proper.

Third, could be some some technical issue at the centre like connectivity or something.

You could inquire at the centre whther any other candidates who appeared on the same day with you had such issue.

Better to sit for the exam again instead calling PTE, their customer service sucks.
You may try to change the centre for next attempt.

Cheers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hello Steiger. Do you happen to know what would have wrong technically with my speaking test? any guesses??
In my practice test at least, my initial speaking score was far lower than what I have got for my second practice test because of the type of mic I have used (which was a webcam). The same thing might have affected you such as the position of the mic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my practice test at least, my initial speaking score was far lower than what I have got for my second practice test because of the type of mic I have used (which was a webcam). The same thing might have affected you such as the position of the mic.
Dear Steiger,

But you atleast got 51. My score is 35. And I checked my microphone and my voice was just fine. But then again if my voice did not get recorded it should have stopped in 3 sec noticing the silence. But that did not happen. I just don't know what might have possible gone wrong. When I take the test again I don't know what to change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
May be position of the mic wrt to your mouth was not right. Did you test the mic before starting the exam?

Second, could be connection of the instrument with CPU wasnt proper.

Third, could be some some technical issue at the centre like connectivity or something.

You could inquire at the centre whther any other candidates who appeared on the same day with you had such issue.

Better to sit for the exam again instead calling PTE, their customer service sucks.
You may try to change the centre for next attempt.

Cheers.

Hi Rajrajinin,

Even if all the issues you said above was right, the system should have stopped if it did not hear my voice right. That never happened. I am planning to take the test again but now I am scared the same thing might happen again. :( That's why I wanted to know the reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you wait in "Read aloud" for mic opening? 'Cause it should pass about 30-40 sec. before mic opening after question appears...
Hi,

I waited for the required time and spoke only after the microphone opened. However as soon as I finished I clicked Next instead of watiting for 3 secs for the status to change from recording to completed. Do you think that might be the issue?

Another question is during repeat sentence and short answer and read aloud there is a certain time of 2 or 3 secs that lapses between the recording ending and the microphone opening. And I start speaking only after I see the blue thing on the status moves forward. Is this right?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hello Lovely people,

Listening- 80
Reading- 73
Speaking-35
Writing- 90

Thank you!
yes you have to wait for the "Completed" phrase to appear on the screen and then only should proceed further....... I think you should apply again this time do not make this mistake........Thanks !

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi happie2012,

Thanks for the tips.

One of your tip says, for answer short questions:

- Just repeat the sentence heard if you do not know the answer

Will this fetch me any marks, if I just repeat the question i heard?

·
Registered
570 Posts
bhavna1990

Dear Bhavna,

I can understand the frustration.. I went through the same. ( I got 63 first time in speaking)..

I happen to be friend with theater artist in bangalore and when I spoke to him with this issue, He gave me some working tips.

1) keep Mic just a tag away from your mouth ( if possible.. Many a times Breathing noise distrubs the real recording.)
2) I had the issue of speaking very fast.. I have been doing it at subconscious level that english has become very natural to me.. but what that lead to was many words I uttered were combined and while when he heard my recordings, He always clarified did I say this.. He was breaking down each sentence I spoke and gave me advice on slowing the spoken speed.
Trust me its difficult to unlearn and learn new.. but if you have goal which you need to attain then you have to do it..

3) Have a recorder app in your mobile.. Record the speech everyday. at normal speed and at slow speed.. Play it on Google dictation software.. see what did google interpret you.

4) if your rate of speaking is not an issue, then know this. Describe image and Retell lecture carry lot of marks.. its quintessential that you perform at your best in them.. Have at least 5 points spoken ( calculate time.. 5 key points ( intro,, 3 key pts,, one conclusion.. conclusion must be there..) then if you plan 7 sec for each.. 35 sec time..) with practice you should be able to do it..

5) Book your next test without any iota of doubt that you will fail again.. I succeeded in 2nd attempt at 69 pts.. Now I am planning to write again as my pts are less and only way to boost it is PTE..

6) Use 10% off code PTE2015.. this saves you some money.. so you start on winning note.. half battle is already won..

I am going in on 14 Nov.. best of luck for you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dear All,

I have a query with regard to PTE-A Speaking.
In all of the practice tests, tips etc, I have seen that once we finish speaking before time allotted, we can click the "Next" button to go to next question. The mic will turn off if we do not speak for 3secs.

Is there a difference between "Auto Complete" and "forced Complete"?
What if I click "Next" when I finish well before the given time?

In case, I finish speaking before time, wait for the status to be "completed"(auto finish), meanwhile obviously my mic will turn off. When I g to the next question, will the mic open again by default, or it shuts off completely?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Abhi..

Its best to try and use 35sec.. If you plan to use all 40 sec.. You will not have clock to tell you. You have to take best guess.. If you haven't completed before mic stops..then it would go down as incomplete answers... Forced completion is okay..if its from you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Abhi..

Its best to try and use 35sec.. If you plan to use all 40 sec.. You will not have clock to tell you. You have to take best guess.. If you haven't completed before mic stops..then it would go down as incomplete answers... Forced completion is okay..if its from you.
Thanks dreamsanj.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts